Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Wicca Phase Springs Eternal Joins Run for Cover Records

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Wicca Phase Springs Eternal have signed with Run for Cover Records. The full press release can be found below.

Run For Cover Records is excited to welcome Wicca Phase Springs Eternal (née Adam McIlwee) to their family. The co-founder of GothBoiClique (a 10-person collective that included Lil Peep), Wicca Phase helped to assemble some of the most innovative new artists under one banner, blending dark electronics, trap rhythms and alternative music. To accompany the signing announcement, Wicca Phase teamed up with RFC label mate and Camp Cope guitarist/singer Georgia Maq to create the new track “Stress”, produced by Fish Narc, and released today. “‘Stress’ is about leaning in to creativity and the emotional drain that comes with it. Sometimes it manifests in depression, anxiety – stress. This song is that stress,” explains Wicca Phase. Run For Cover will re-issue Wicca Phase’s earlier LP, Secret Boy on October 19 and [pre-orders are now available](http://www.runforcoverrecords.com/artists/wicca-phase-springs-eternal/products). Wicca Phase will embark on a slew of tour dates this fall, the ones announced are below and more will be announced soon.
    Through a unique and extensive discography that features a diverse range of sounds, inspirations, and collaborators, Wicca Phase Springs Eternal has become an influential pioneer in a vital new direction of underground music. After various singles, collaborations, EPs and the Secret Boy LP, Adam McIlwee continues to advance his innate gift with words and melody while also creating the perfect gateway for the uninitiated. Pushing sonic and cultural boundaries ever further, Wicca Phase will release his next LP – his most focused material to date – on Run For Cover Records in early 2019.

McIlwee’s instinct for innovation dates back to his time in Tigers Jaw, the trailblazing band he spearheaded before walking away in 2013 to embark on another ambitious new chapter. He began to hone Wicca Phase’s singular sound through a prolific series of releases that blended the incisive wit of songwriters like Nick Cave with heart-on-sleeve earnestness and modern hip hop percussion. This unexpected mix of dark electronics, trap rhythms, and alternative music initially caught some off-guard, but as his creativity continued to grow, so did his audience.

Finding himself inadvertently at the forefront of a burgeoning musical movement, McIlwee co-founded GothBoiClique: a 10-person collective that assembled some of the best artists of this new style under one banner, and helped shape its fervent community. All the while, the enigmatic Wicca Phase continued throwing musical curveballs — including 2017’s acoustic Raw and Declawed EP and the freshly released collaborative track with new labelmate Georgia Maq of Camp Cope — proving that despite the growing popularity of the sound he helped forge, McIlwee exists in a creative sphere all his own. His expressive voice is the crux: simultaneously assured and vulnerable, bringing an intriguing fusion of mystery and honesty, welcoming new listeners without slowing his own uncontainable drive for evolution.

2. robotsarereal

this.... this is not good

benjammin07 likes this.
  3. MrAirplane

Trusted

any word yet on if he'll be on the s/t tour? looks like he doesn't have any announced solo shows until after that tour is over

4. peoplearepoison

It’s a perfect day for letting go... Supporter

I dig this.

But of course the emo labels had to get into the emo/rap game. If it's making dollars, it's making sense ya know?

5. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Hells yeah.

6. DesireToPlease

Regular

Just checked him out. Sucks.

7. chilllll

Regular

aye i dig this. im huge gbc fan. cold hart- horse head- peep- doves are all awesome. highly recommend. this single is tight- people first listening should check out his collab with peep and his songs high strangeness and i see you as a dove

8. thatwasamoment

Since '06

im getting old. u kids do u though. i support it.

Arry and MrAirplane like this.
  9. red8ge

Regular

different label would've been cooler, but oh well

10. chilllll

Regular

lol times are definitely changing for sure

11. Windowsdown

I love how he reinvented himself as Wicca, I'm happy for him. I saw him a few months ago and he played a bunch of new songs, all of which sounded amazing (and were actually much better than this single). I'm excited.

12. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

i remember when buddy left TJ and dropped the first few songs and everyone was convinced that this was an elaborate joke because it was bad. now the whole gbc clique is one of the more influential things in hip hop. so wild.

MrAirplane likes this.
  13. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I don't think this is that bad. It's not really my kinda thing but I don't mind it. I think his voice suited early TJ music better though.

14. MacbethSin

Regular

Dead on, High Strangeness is basically a Tigers Jaw song with trap drums. Great entry point

15. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

WHAT IS THIS

16. MrAirplane

Trusted

even more TJ sounding are these three acoustic songs he put out last year

coleslawed and pauljgreco like this.
  17. chilllll

Regular

shit is the new wave- hate it or not- get ready!!

18. mynamesgeneric

Regular

I still remember Metro Station

DesireToPlease likes this.