Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Why Your Favorite Pop Songs Are Getting Shorter

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Aisha Hassan & Dan Kopf, writing for QZ:

The median length of Billboard Hot 100 songs dropped from over four minutes in 2000 to around three and a half minutes in 2018. Over the last few years, the number of songs in the Hot 100 under two and a half minutes skyrocketed from just around 1% of songs in 2015 to over 6% in 2018.

So what happened? Streaming appears to be a big part of the story. In 2015, streaming overtook digital downloads as the music industry’s biggest source of revenue in the US. And streaming has dominated ever since: In 2015, it accounted for 34.3% of revenue, and that’s increased to 75% in 2018. In the process, many artists have adapted to the way their music is consumed. More streams make more money, but even then it’s not a lot, which is why volume is so crucial.

2. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I'm all for it. CD's allowed for excessive album bloat in the 90's and 00's.

3. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

That's really interesting. I wonder if they'll at some point switch to a YouTube-style system where amount of total play time is prioritized over the count number of plays. I'm not a huge fan of super-long tracks, but I do find that most songs I like are 3-3.5 minutes long.

4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Bad Religion, Joyce Manor, and Descendents have proven you can do the perfect pop song in under 2 minutes.

fredwordsmith, Dumblecore and Raku like this.
  5. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Pop from the 50s and 60s were usually all under 3 minutes.

6. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

None of them are on pop radio, though.

heymattrick likes this.
  7. AllenRicketts

Regular

This is bad and we should feel bad.

8. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

In my mind the average pop song has been between 3 and 3.5 minutes since I first started listening to music so this blows my mind.

9. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Nearly every Beatles song is under 3 minutes so I think it lends itslef more to what the current trend is and not due to streaming necessarily.

coleslawed and Ska Senanake like this.
  10. somethingwitty

Trusted

Radio pop has become a formula...the same small group of songwriters are working with Maroon 5, Selena, Demi, Cardi, Nicki, etc. and the similarities in structure/tone of their songs has become very noticeable.

11. Have... you ever actually listened to any of them?
    This is so wrong, like wtf

Pop threads always become messy on the front page as usual.

heymattrick likes this.