Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Why Pabst Blue Ribbon Could Go Extinct

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Clint Rainey, writing at Grubstreet:

For years, Pabst has outsourced its beer-making to MillerCoors, a relationship that has suddenly gone sour. The two companies are locked in a half-billion-dollar court battle that, some say, could spell the end of PBR, as well as many other beer brands that Pabst owns. Pabst currently pays MillerCoors nearly $80 million a year to brew its beer; MillerCoors says that, after 2020, it may no longer have the necessary resources available, and is threatening to let the contract expire unless Pabst agrees to a fee that’s closer to $200 million per year, an amount that Pabst contends would “bankrupt us three times over.”

2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Maybe that could be good for the Pabst brand if they bring it back in a coupla years :crylaugh:

Prolly not.

SlappinCups likes this.
  3. Ska Senanake

Trusted

This makes me very sad. Got a 24 oz pbr for $11 at the house of blues in boston last Friday. You cant beat those prices.

4. Mason

Regular

Other than the extremely low price, I will never understand why people actually enjoy this beer. Don't get me wrong, if I was at a party or bar and someone gave me one, I'd drink it, but I'd never order myself one.

Pepetito, GEM37 and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  5. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I just lol'd. same shit here just HOB, Anaheim.

6. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Old Style > PBR

KidLightning likes this.
  7. GEM37

She haunts the roads

And this shitty beer going away is a problem how?

Pepetito, bd007h, BradBradley and 2 others like this.
  8. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

please post your favorite beer so we can imitate your incredible palette.

Raku, oldboot, Ska Senanake and 3 others like this.
  9. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I personally don't drink PBR but this makes me legitimately sad for my friends who come out to my bands shows and pound $2 beers all night.

Ska Senanake likes this.
  10. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

What's going to be the official beer of FEST now!?

11. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

It's a good thing I am going to the brewery in Milwaukee in 3 weeks before they close up shop.

12. Ska Senanake

Trusted

For the price the quality of the beer is actually really good. You can't beat the value. It's no Treehouse or Dogfishhead, but you get more than what you pay for.

13. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

On taste alone, gimme a PBR before you give me a Bud/Miller/Coors.

14. Mason

Regular

Id do Miller>PBR>Bud>Coors.

Arry likes this.
  15. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Miller>Coors>Bud=PBR

and that's final B-)

BradBradley and Mason like this.
  16. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Or they could simply lower supply. I understand the production capacity challenge of meeting today's demand/supply, but who says they need to? There are worse problems than demand exceeding supply, although yes I recognize you need to be able to meet your commitments to retailers.

17. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

It's nothing special. I think a lot of the popularity was due to hipsters having it at all times. Well that, hand rolled cigarettes and riding their bike everywhere.
    Coors, really isn't that bad ha.

18. red8ge

Regular

larry arms fans are shook

19. Mason

Regular

I mean, its not the worst beer I have ever had, but I just don't think it really tastes like anything. Same with bud light. Too flavorless.

20. jorbjorb

7 rings

I sure hope so.

21. red8ge

Regular

Steel Reserve

22. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

When I was a sophomore in college, we bought a kegerator for our dorm room. PBR (and Killians) were the only kegs we could afford. Ive had a soft spot for both ever since.

Also remember going to one bar I hung out at in my 20s where they’d sell you an entire 6-pack of PBR still in the plastic rings and we’d walk around and toss out PBRs to others.

Good times.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  23. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i enjoy a nice cold pbr especially when my local grocer sells them in 12's for $7.99

i am not above pbr

Helloelloallo likes this.
  24. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

PBR is like White Castle: if you're buying it in any less than a 30-pack, you're doing it wrong.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  25. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

But light is water. Im being honest.

Mason likes this.