Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Why Indie Bands Go Major Label in the Streaming Era

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Marc Hogan, writing at Pitchfork:

Scott Rodger, who manages Arcade Fire, Paul McCartney, and Shania Twain, points me to various artists’ pages on Spotify. Arcade Fire have 5 million monthly listeners on the streaming service. Radiohead have 6 million, while Grizzly Bear, the War on Drugs, and LCD Soundsystem all have more like 2 million. But Imagine Dragons, while critically scorned, have 30 million-plus. And the most popular artists right now, like “Despacito” hitmakers Daddy Yankee and Luis Fonsi, along with Ed Sheeran and Calvin Harris, have upwards of 40 million. “With the world moving towards streaming, most indie or alternative acts simply don’t stream as well,” Rodger says.

2. peoplearepoison

It’s a perfect day for letting go... Supporter

I would assume one reason indie bands don't stream as well because the people who listen to indie music care more about their artists. Streaming is super easy; no one cares to have a Calvin Harris limited edition, multi-colored, handnumbered vinyl. His fans want easy access to his music and to listen to it constantly. As a fan of those smaller artists, I want a vinyl record and to sit down and listen to the record the whole way through to get a true experience.

coleslawed likes this.
  3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

It's a weird time because as an indie artist, ideally you'd want people to do what you do-buy merch and records....but then also stream the fuck out of it. It doesn't make sense, but that's the best way to support.

coleslawed likes this.