Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Why I Deleted the Recent Makeout Video Post • Page 6

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

dude is getting dragged on twitter, and i'm loving it*~*~

edit:

his replies, this is nuts

2. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I'd prefer to think that SOMEONE who could've called them on the song/video content at the label just let it go so it'd get called out.

Not sure how old this dude is, but it sounds like he wrote a semi-catchy, spiteful song using some shitty blunt language. I get it; a lot of the pop punk we all grew up on has aged poorly. Nothing (that) wrong with writing it, but he should've thought more before releasing it as a single.

3. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

No one in the chain said anything because getting paid and getting work is more important than integrity. Welcome to late capitalism

incognitojones, dylan and cwhit like this.
  4. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Well, the issue to me is, someone doesn't just get transformed into this when someone cheats on them. That toxicity existed and, in all likelihood, already came out at some point. Second, music is always coming from a singular perspective, so one doesn't actually get a glimpse of the other side, which precipitated the infidelity. That's when we begin to think more broadly about the ways in which our culture discusses and constructs heteronormative relationships, because it is almost inherently toxic to believe that one has ownership over a partner's body.

5. You can be angry and even crude without being a misogynist. Do you need the difference explained, or...?

6. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Exactly. This is what I wanted to say with my post in like, way fewer words. They knew what they were doing and now they're calling it "art" to try and excuse it.

Anna Acosta likes this.
  7. I don't think gendered slurs is the same as "crude language." Of course I swear when I'm angry (I swear when I'm happy too), the issue isn't swearing ... it's the misogyny.

8. I want this on a throw pillow.

Reactions like this don't happen in a vacuum. This is how this guy thinks about women - that's the crux of the issue. People who don't think this way don't write this way. Even when they're heartbroken or furious.

Ken, incognitojones, dylan and 3 others like this.
  9. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Would The Starting Line-Surprise, Surprise be a "good" version of this kinda song?

TedSchmosby likes this.
  10. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

wow. look at that self own.

AndrewSoup and Arry like this.
  11. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yea honestly I'm not sure I realized my own internalized stigma against it until this conversation - I like to consider myself supportive of people taking care of their mental health, but then I saw you say he should go to therapy and my instinct was "wow ok nothing that extreme is needed here". Definitely has given me something to think about, so thank you!

tyramail likes this.

12. Wait, what?

13. Mr. Serotonin

wtf

14. Actually, yes. That's a very good example. It's angry, it's bitter, it's biting - but it's not misogynistic.

15. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

There is a difference between being upset at a betrayal of trust and using violent/gendered language to cope with it, which is completely destructive on another level. That being said, if I were cheated on now, I'd be hurt, but I'd attempt to understand why it happened, because it likely is rooted in faults that already existed within the relationship and which were being ignored until it was too late.

16. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

17. Mr. Serotonin

That's what i was thinking. I remember listening to that song about 100x when my gf cheated on me for the second time in high school. The feeling of the song matched my feelings at the time perfectly. Was just curious to see what others thought. Thanks for responding!

fenway89, Anna Acosta and dylan like this.
  18. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

Did you read Anna's post from pg 2?

19. somethingwitty

Trusted

Shit song...

But this has been going on forever...how many of you will be singing the lyrics to Jude Law or 70x7 this fall at a Brand New show? It was gross then and its gross now.

Also, why does so much hip hop get a pass when it comes to this? Drake, Wayne, Future, Uzi, Tyler, Kanye, etc ALL have songs that regularly use gendered slurs (mostly female) yet they get a pass on here? Weird.

Raku, Steven Price and Bayside 182 like this.
  20. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Holy shit is he admitting to hitting this girl on Twitter now? And his takeaway is that you can't be abusive because you'll get locked up not because, i don't know, it makes you a shitty fucking human being if you are abusive?

fenway89 likes this.
  21. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Song is disgusting, can't even finish the whole thing.

22. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I will be the first to admit I think super crude language sometimes when in the peak of being angry. I think there is a huge difference between internally thinking crude thoughts and actually taking the time and effort to sit and write a song based off those feelings using nothing but derogatory words.

Raku likes this.
  23. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

People should really read the whole thread before commenting

24. Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 2.07.19 PM.png

One more time ... WHAT THE FUCK? I keep reading this back and forth and :-/:-/:-/:-/:-/:-/, what is he trying to say in this exchange? It can't be how it actually reads ...

Raku, Aaron Mook, ryan.conde and 10 others like this.
  25. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yes it was gross when Brand New did and even Jesse himself now acknowledges that it was gross.

We've addressed all of this already.

fenway89 likes this.