Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Why I Deleted the Recent Makeout Video Post • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 7, 2017.

1. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Interesting points of discussion in this post. I think when the message is sort of veiled (or not at least explicit in it's degradation), songs in our scene have gotten a "pass" because I think most people can feel bitter towards an ex or have feelings of resentment. I think when a song explicitly calls someone a whore or is bluntly spiteful in its message is when the problem arises.

Then again, Third Eye Blind's "Don't Believe A Word" says "you fucking whore I'll kill you!" and I don't think it came up. Maybe it's just the age we're living in?

Nate_Johnson and Bayside 182 like this.
  2. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Yes, of course, thats the point I was trying to make. I havent seen it brought much before so if it is than thats great. No one should ever think this kind of song is okay. I feel this way about about many hip hop songs too but thats a topic for an entirely different day.

3. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

this song perfectly sums up everything that's bad about modern "pop punk"

4. Spenny

Regular

Holy hell. Baffled how this got green lit.

5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

there's some differences in hip hop, but yes, let's not do this right now.

Bayside 182 likes this.
  6. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I don't know anything about this band, but I've seen some of you say Travis Barker and John Feldmann are involved, which I assume means decent label support, etc. It absolutely baffles me that, even if they themselves didn't care, no one thought like "hey this might not be a great look for this new band we're trying to get off the ground in 2017". How can you be so tone deaf?

I just don't even get the rationale for defending this song. It's not envelope pushing in the sense that it's controversial for a greater artistic purpose, it's just juvenile and vile. Is it really this important to a kid to have a song where he calls someone a bitch and a whore.

7. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Equally gross. Not surprising because Jenkins is a scummy human.

8. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Hahaha nooo argument about Stephan Jenkins

9. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Bottom line is we are dealing with shit like this today because we didn't call it out back then. This is pretty much the unrefined, expected outcome of certain Blink / FOB songs.

Had someone shut those down back then, we wouldn't have shit like this. So we try and shut it down now so we aren't here 15 years from now having the same damn conversation.

beachdude42, Robk, ECV and 25 others like this.
  10. cwhit

this is an incredibly good point that i actually never thought about until now.

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

and even know I feel like when we talk about say TBS lyrics being kinda gross there's a lot of pushback and actually it's not that bad so we're doing better but still work to do and we have to keep having difficult conversations

scottlechowicz and cwhit like this.
  12. Eml182

Regular

cwhit likes this.
  13. Sander

kflkmflkm

It blows my mind that no-one involved in the production or marketing called this out.

14. jordanjohnson09

Regular

just realized i saw these guys when they were "trophy wives"

15. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I can't believe they found a girl to be in the video.

16. scottlechowicz Sep 7, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 7, 2017)
    scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Why thank you very much haha.

Truth be told, I was in love with those Blink / FOB songs. They inspired me and spoke to me in really unfortunate ways. I was the kind of kid that wrote pretty reprehensible poetry on MySpace. I wish more than anything that someone had pulled me aside and told me how awful I was being. I remember seeing some random comic / cartoon making the rounds like 5 years ago about the myth of the "friend zone." I wish I could send that shit back to my younger self.

17. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I think that's my biggest thing with this. Am I surprised a bunch of teen-early adult boys are singing this song? No. I am surprised that with Feldy and Travis Barker and Rise being involved that this got passed through as something to support and get behind. Their other song "Crazy" has the same kind of sexist undertones, but not nearly this cringe worthy. Whoever writes their songs should probably go to therapy and work out his resentment and bitterness issues.

incognitojones likes this.
  18. cwhit

self-acknowledge of past flaws is the most important thing when it comes to us growing as people. we all make mistakes, people know that, but it's acknowledging that and actively working to better yourself that really helps advance us all

19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

yikes

Raku likes this.
  20. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

so people call out the shitty lyrics on YouTube and Rise responds by disabling the comments. Ugh.

21. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

There's no excuse for being 18-21 and writing this garbage. You'd have to go out of your way a little more to learn why gendered slurs are fucked up 20 or 30 years ago. Like, you'd have to actually read a book. Nowadays, feminists are putting out ideas that were once confined to the library in layman language on Twitter. There's no excuses anymore and no room for ignorant mistakes.

I followed Anna and stumbled onto one of the band members twitter accounts and he's trying to defend his dumpster fire band by saying he respects women and this song was misinterpreted. These are things every misogynist, racist bigot says -- "I'm not actually bigoted, the bigoted things I'm saying aren't actually bigoted, I'm actually really respectful." If you have to tell people you respect women, it's because your words and actions don't show it, and if you can't act or speak respectfully, you're a bigot. It's that fucking simple and these guys know it. That's why I take issue with saying that it comes down to their influences also being misogynistic. Sure it can be traced back all the way through music history, but it's the 21st century, we have the facts in our face every day, and they're still writing this type shit. It is 1000% on them to own up to it, which they're not going to do, because they're closet sexists trying to disguise their message with pop punk.

22. cwhit

i don't know why it's surprising that people are working with this band, there's enough people into them and are still defending them that this record will probably make the label and the people that work with them plenty of money

Raku likes this.
  23. cwhit

maybe they didn't realize that these lyrics were problematic, and just "their feelings"? they still could have easily been like "oh shit, wow, i didn't see this from your side before, i apologize", but the only reason for someone to defend themselves from this situation is if they actually are problematic.

24. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Same here...the language deemed acceptable within the 'popular' group, and how every interaction with the opposite sex was based on getting laid makes me feel good in my old age that I was uncomfortable around that stuff. Thought at the time that it held me back socially, but man...glad I had a conscience. No credit to my parents, it was all me :).

25. Tried. He told me that I was just refusing to see his point/be objective, that all words are exactly the same, and told another female writer who tried to reason with him that she was "safe as long as she never cheated on anyone". I don't enjoy talking to brick walls throwing temper tantrums, so I excluded myself from the narrative from that point.