Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Why I Deleted the Recent Makeout Video Post • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

dude, we're at a point where we should know better. hayley even regrets saying 'whore' in misery business. it's possible to learn from mistakes and learn why these words aren't helping anyone.

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

and we have called out these artists we like/liked for their problematic lyrics that we didn't realize were problematic before. growing as a person is all about realizing mistakes that you have made in the past. i definitely listened to and liked and supported many problematic artists but i can understand why that was an issue now

Stevangelion and Fucking Dustin like this.
  3. But it's not 15 years ago. It's today. I don't act or react based on the 15 year old version of myself, that dude was an idiot.

4. It's really good.

5. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I agree my point was that, I dont remember seeing posts like regarding all of these other artists in the past. I am not defending this band at all, I'm just not understanding why now all of sudden its a big deal. Wasn't calling someone a whore bad 15 years ago?

6. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

yeap, having a video where it's a domestic dispute isn't helping his point. super gross.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  7. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

yeah but you have the maturity to realize that, I'm sure these dudes are probaly like 18-21

8. cwhit

it always was bad. but when i was 14 i thought that saying "gay" and "retarded" as an insult wasn't a bad thing because "those words mean different things". if the songs we adored 15 years ago were put out today we would be saying these exact same things. we've just grown as a community to understand how problematic these words can be

youwontknow likes this.
  9. cwhit

that does not give them a free pass to say horrible things

10. zmtr

Trusted

hahaha what the FUCK did I just listen to

good lord

Raku likes this.
  11. That's the crux of my entire point in trying to bring this up to them and how the music scene needs to be better, the world needs to be better, and how we can work on achieving that. Education and understanding where you cause pain in others is part of that entire process. Better for young artists to learn it now than look back 15 years from now at the garbage they put into the world because no one said anything.

astereo, Jacob, mercury and 14 others like this.
  12. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I agree with all of this but just as we thought it was "funny" when we were in high school, I don't think high school kids today are as mature as we are now having learned and grown as people in the last 15 years. For someone say 30 to listen to this song would be disturbing but for a kid in high school, while the song is still terrible, they are just an immature kid.

13. scottlechowicz Sep 7, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 7, 2017)
    scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I caved and looked at the lyrics.

Wow. That was waaaaay worse than I expected.

Also, my google search returned the Alt Press article about their "biting" new music video for the song. Fuck that place.

Edit: And at least in "Tell that Mick" Pete was trying to turn some clever phrases, albeit problematic ones. Which has (kind of) softened the edges a bit for me when listening now. But this guy just says "you're a wh*re." I couldn't make it beyond that first chorus.

If I had pearls, I genuinely think I might be clutching them. Someone really needs to talk with this kid.

14. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Sephora, Postmates and Apple need to send these idiots a cease-and-desist letter.

15. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Well said, thats how I feel also. I was just pointing out that its not like this band is some terrible outlier writing this disgusting lyrics. I would be perfectly happy never seeing songs like this written again.

16. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

God what a fucking terrible song.

Raku and Turkeylegz like this.
  17. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

It's not hypocritical to progress and mature.

fenway89 and incognitojones like this.
  18. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Who thought any of this was a good idea? You'd think there would be a voice of reason somewhere along the line, right?

19. cwhit

why should immaturity be an excuse though? do you think we shouldn't call them out and teach them?

even if they don't think this is harmful it is. we shouldn't excuse harmful behavior. what this does is it just asserts the patriarchial aspect of relationships even further and doesn't help us advance as a society.

incognitojones likes this.
  20. I don't think you're giving much credit to just how "woke" a lot of high-school kids are. They're far, far beyond where I was at that age and it's not even close. They deserve respect and credit for what injustice they see and speak up about in the world.

21. Gen Handley

Regular

Good call man - the song sucks, on so many levels

fenway89 and Turkeylegz like this.
  22. I've said it before: But every label needs one person you run this shit by first. Maybe just one woman? Just an idea. No good comes from a dude-chamber.

teebs41, Joe4th, Aaron Mook and 6 others like this.
  23. cwhit

yeah, i really wish i saw the world the way that i know a lot of teens do this day. it's really wonderful and brings hope in these shitty times

fenway89 and KidLightning like this.
  24. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

fair point. I feel the same way. My original point was that I don't remember seeing other bands being criticized this way, not that we shouldn't let them know its wrong. I just thought this band was sort of getting singled out.

25. cwhit

other bands "should" be. present and past.