Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Why I’m No Longer a Punk Rock ‘Girl Girl’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Kristy Diaz, writing at Track Seven:

I was the punk rock version of the ‘cool girl’ trope for years.

The punk rock cool girl likes real music. Good music. Proper music. She’s into the latest hot hardcore band playing to 15 people right now. She knows every word to The Shape of Punk To Come. She doesn’t listen to pop music, or dance music, or stuff that Other Girls like. Her favourite Braid record is the Correct One. She only sings along to Panic! At The Disco ironically. She can hang out with your musician mates and hold her own in a conversation, but she won’t point out the ways in which even punk rock, this glorious utopia we inhabit, has the capacity to oppress.

And, much like the original concept, she’s not real.

2. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I don't have much of a frame of reference of what the author is writing about, but this is good that she is speaking out about problems within the punk scene. The few people in bands I know tend to be very good about being inclusive. I remember back one summer going to see east coast shows that my friends were playing with Lemuria before they got signed. They also did shows near the end of Latterman's run, and they were big on being inclusive as well. That's always carried over in the tours they did. The one guy now plays in All Dogs (fronted by a female). I am not blind to the problems in the different scenes. I hear and read the news. I've just been very lucky to be around musicians on a personal level that have good morals, ethics, and a community approach. She is definitely right about some of those early 2000's emo lyrics.

thenewtypetheory likes this.
  3. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I wish it didn't take me so long to realize some of these things.

Stilicho likes this.
  4. permanentann

we'll kick it when I hit the ground

This is kind of funny considering how my sister and I were just discussing today that we rarely posted on ap.net for fear of being called out in the ways she talks about in the article. We didn't want to be attacked for being 14-16 year old girls with the "wrong" music tastes or opinions. I absolutely relate to what she's talking about and am glad that I, too, have moved past it.

5. Yyyyyup. Same.

6. JohnnyStacks

Regular

It's interesting to see how bands like Led Zepplin, The Rolling Stones, etc are completely adored and the way they treated(probably still treat) women was just part of the scene. Completely acceptable. I don't really have a lot to contribute to the conversation. This article just got me thinking about how different it is now that people have social media

7. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I actually sort of know Kristy, and it's great her article is getting so much attention. Being male, I don't have a whole lot to contribute and even less that I feel is worth listening to in this conversation, but it's nice that she's getting the praise that this article deserves, and that something as important in our scene as this is getting a voice.

8. Liz

Ew, David

Definitely relate. Though I have to say, I'm not a fan of people wearing heels at shows (what if you step on someone's feet?)

9. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

This article is a great read and is also very relatable for me personally. The referenced quote from Gone Girl and the discourse around it has always rubbed me the wrong way (it's always come off to me as more policing of what women should or shouldn't enjoy), and I'm happy that this article didn't veer into that territory.

Jason Tate likes this.