Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Why Ending DACA Is So Unprecedented

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Dara Lind, writing for Vox:

The Trump administration’s announcement Tuesday, that it will end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program — removing deportation protection and work permits from nearly 800,000 young unauthorized immigrants — unless Congress passes a bill in the next six months to protect DACA recipients, isn’t a punt or a reprieve. It’s an opportunity to deflect, or share, the responsibility for what would be an unprecedented act in US history.

There’s never really been a time when a generation of people, raised and rooted in the United States, has been stripped of official recognition and pushed back into the precarity of unauthorized-immigrant life.

2. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Heartless

3. aniafc

Trusted

This is rough. Found out today because my university's president sent out an email to all students about it.

4. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

I have a few family members that are DREAMers, so I'm pretty terrified.

5. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

I am so sorry, I hope everyone can stay as safe as possible.

Let's all call our representatives and get them on board with the DREAM Act.

6. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

thank you, we are fortunate to be able to afford the legal fees to fight deportation and i am thankfully from Washington where our AG is badass and will fight for us. i've done as much as i can (called/donated/educated others), and all i can hope for is that people will have a little more empathy for our common brothers/sisters.

beachdude42, coleslawed and jpmalone4 like this.
  7. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Its cruel and enraging. I legit can't even imagine being such a monster.

8. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

As someone born in a Hispanic country who came here as a young child to study and have an opportunity at a better life, I couldn't be more disgusted right now.

I say that, and yet there's always next week for this troll to outdo himself.

Oskarr likes this.
  9. Oskarr

Needled 24/7

Un-American. Period.

domotime2 and Dan O'Neill like this.