Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Why Are All of Spotify’s Most-Streamed Artists Men? • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 7, 2018.

1. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Wow I can't believe the guy from "The Man Who Married A Robot/Love Theme" song was in here but like isn't he dead?

2. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Preemptively attacking people like you have here instead of having civil discussion is probably why they're scared to post their opinion. Even if that opinion turns out to be wrong at least you have a chance to try to show them why they are wrong instead of this divisive crap. I'm 100% on your side (I think?) but this is the wrong way to go about changing what's wrong with our society.

3. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

They used to call these things discussion boards on websites back in the day. Then people started making bold statement/hot takes, or trying to instigate stuff.

If someone had a post you didn’t like, you debate or banter. Now, they didn’t post their comment (good/bad or otherwise) and it’s being called shitty.

The hard thing is, when more people are afraid and keep their thoughts and opinions to themselves, then the louder people have more space to have only their opinions heard.

Post your thoughts. If people don’t like them, defend them from your viewpoint or take the feedback you get and see if it adjusts how you think about the subject.

Or maybe that kind of respect is gone on the internet because feel safe behind their screens and keyboards.

4. Jason Tate Dec 10, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 10, 2018)
    Nah, they get banned here. They can go make their vlogs on youtube where another algorithm will indoctrinate children.

littlejohn likes this.
  5. People with shitty retrograde 'opinions' have plenty of places to "debate" their shit online. Most of us have spent half our life debating these opinions and pulling them apart by the paper strings they're tied with. It's really not worth it. It's a giant waste of time.

6. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

reread this part lol. maybe the people who constantly get told their opinions are shitty should do some reflection on why that might be?

Anna Acosta and ARo24 like this.
  7. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

hmmmm gotta say i think the 'old time internet' where everyone respected everyone else and had honest and civil conversations only ever existed in your head

8. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I think that respect is still here, when users actually want a constructive discussion. I am at a point where I don’t want to engage with people who are only out to play devils advocate or have clearly racist/sexist etc. biases, in the sense of having any constructive conversation. It’s far too exhausting these days.

Jacob likes this.
  9. Ahhh yes, the years of being called every homophobic slur in existence ... the "good" times on the internet.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  10. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah better make sure I respectfully respond to someone’s lack of respect for other human beings got it.

11. I've been "very online" for most of my life at this point. 20+ years. I can pretty easily tell what people are worth engaging with and actually want to have a discussion and are open to learning ... and what people quote Jordan Peterson and are only interested in a bad faith pissing contest, and I'm better off throwing my head in the oven for an hour. The former, I'm more than willing to have discussions with, even heated ones, and do. The later I have zero time for at this point.

12. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

A man walks into a bar and screams “I HAVE AN OPINION”. I don’t have a punch line for that yet.

KidLightning likes this.
  13. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

here's a constructive post that literally all of you guys complaining about how there are no constructive posts have yet to respond to.

Joe4th, Anna Acosta, Mary V and 11 others like this.
  14. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

and to be fair, i did call someone an absolute ding dong but his username was literally "snowflakehater503" which is by definition not constructive and therefore did not deserve a constructive response.

15. Wharf Rat

lib_destroyer_14_88

why won't you debate me, coward,

16. Piggy backing on this, it's a big issue, and actually could have real life consequences:

Bias Is AI's Achilles Heel. Here's How To Fix It
    For example, if you want to use AI to make recommendations on who best to hire, feed the algorithm data about successful candidates in the past, and it will compare those to current candidates and spit out its recommendations.

Just one problem. If the input data are biased – say, consisting of mostly young white males (our ‘garbage in,’ as it were), then who will the AI recommend? You guessed it: mostly young white males (predictably, the ‘garbage out’).

This has already been shown to happen this year:

Amazon scraps secret AI recruiting tool that showed bias against women | Reuters
    Companies are on the hook if their hiring algorithms are biased
    Can Artificial Intelligence Eliminate Bias in Hiring?

littlejohn, stars143, Arry and 3 others like this.
  17. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

That’s true, but this site is one of the rare sites where a founder is an active and insightful member who keeps tries to keep that stuff away.

18. Jared Luttrell

Regular

I totally agree with this, I just think some people legitimately are oblivious to today's social and political issues and genuinely would want to learn, I have encountered people like that in real life but that's admittedly just anecdotal. Unfortunately the reality is those people are probably just a small minority among the shitheads you encounter online so I also understand why it's easy to get tired of dealing with it. I guess I feel like some people just come looking for a fight instead of caring about the problems at hand. I'm also definitely not advocating for engaging with people obviously trolling.

19. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I think the nature of these algorithms reinforces pre-existing biases for the person they're working for, rather than being inherently coded in a biased manner. which honestly is worse.

20. Wharf Rat

yeah no they definitely exist but i feel like we're fairly good at sussing out who is open minded but misguided and who is just an asshole. for example when they quote jordan peterson or call themselves snowflake_hater they can be written off

21. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Yeah not disagreeing with that at all, that guy is obviously a troll.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  22. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

In discussion threads when people like the same bands, people were nice and would share info. I had even had other members send me mercy, or I’d send them rare b-sides or whatever. Very community based. Even if you didn’t know these people, these were the same people you’d be a shows with. The culture wasn’t as far removed either faceless internet culture because it was still new.

I mean, look at ap.net. It grew to what it is now with Chorus because it was a fun place to go to discuss bands, music news, album reviews etc. The further removed people from reality with the internet, the more harsh the dialogue can be. I don’t remember a single person I went to school with ever acting out as a result of cyber bullying.

23. kait_whiteside

This is immediately what I thought of when I saw that user name. Bravo! You win. (Also, album is amazing. Can't stop listening.)

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  24. I agree, I just think by and large it's pretty easy to pick out the people that fit into what category. When someone posts, and how they post, makes it pretty obvious, IMO, to most people. And I've been reading online posts for a very long time at this point, I'm pretty damn good at picking out which ones are of what variety. Someone that may just be uninformed about a topic, or issue, and where it's worth breaking things down a little bit. Those posts, I have no problem responding to, or going deep with. But "Snowflake," "Peterson," "Virtue Signaling" and a whole plethora of other signs show me which posts I just don't want to waste my time with. I trust that most people reading those posts are smart enough to see through them, and see the many flaws, (and those that don't hit the like button on them and yeah), but I have way better things to do than break them down. Nothing good comes out of it, my time gets used up when there's billions of things I'd much rather be doing or could be doing.

Sure, maybe there's value in explaining for the 10-billionth time why the "there are just more men in bands" argument is flawed, and specifically flawed in this case, but ... given the choice between doing that or doing some interesting and engaging work, I know what I'd rather do.

Jared Luttrell likes this.
  25. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

listen. im a life long democrat. I voted for Dukakis. I would’ve voted for Obama a third time if I could’ve.