Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Whitney - Light Upon the Lake (June 3, 2016) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by brandon_260, Mar 24, 2016.

1. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

01 No Woman
    02 The Falls
    03 Golden Days
    04 Dave's Song
    05 Light Upon the Lake
    06 No Matter Where We Go
    07 On My Own
    08 Red Moon
    09 Polly
    10 Follow

2. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Hello. drip.

3. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Friends. This is out now. I hope you listen.

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I shall

5. junkmanserenade

Where are your friends tonight?

Such a good summertime record. "Golden Days" is one of my songs of the year.

6. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

sweet

7. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Kind of reminds me of Girls meets...Chicago? (the band, not the city)

8. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Yeah it's a really good album. Feels similar to the Leon Bridges record in that it's a complete throwback but it's done so well it doesn't matter that it's treading old ground. I suspect they are going to be enormous by the end of the summer. Wish they were coming to massachusetts.

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

BNM

10. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

listened to half of it earlier on the way to work, enjoyable at least

11. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

12. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Liked it up until it became really informal then I was just thrown off. But it does nail the general appeal of this.

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Oh look how hip!

14. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Love "The Falls," really fun record.

15. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

really wanted to dislike this because i think this is a tacky band name esp considering the style, but this is pretty swell a few tracks in. i can see his voice wearing on me after a while though, not exactly the easiest pill to swallow

16. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I think his voice is why I like this so much lol

17. trevorshmevor Jun 7, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 16, 2022)
    After a few weeks of listening I passed that stage and now I don't mind it at all haha. Really great album.

18. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

brandon_260 likes this.
  19. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

20. Entoine

This album is absolutely amazing, what a good surprise

21. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

I don't really trip over this kind of thing anymore, but I'm kind of bewildered how this got BNM and seemingly way more attention than Pinegrove, which kind of taps the same vibe but does so with a more direct line to emotional expression. Like I could see myself putting either of them on on a hot summer day but I could cry on a bus to Pinegrove and not this

22. cwhit

i mean, i know you know the reasoning and stuff, but pinegrove is "emo" (scene related) while whitney is on secretly canadian, featuring members from a band that also got BNM five years back.

wouldn't be surprised if pinegrove pulls a hop along, ends up getting signed to a bigger/"more acclaimed" label and breaking out of the scene, then getting this or old material reissued and gets a retroactive BNM

23. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

well part of the confusion is the distaste for this band i have seen among a lot of writers online who didn't cover it. it just seems like a weird choice when i havent really seen any of those same people say anything negative/ they gush about pinegrove, while this is a band that has kinda caused some division.

24. cwhit

wouldn't be surprised if this potentially falls off their top 50, while pinegrove gets honorable mention. pretty sure pinegrove will at least be on that mid year "albums outside the list you need to know" list that always has a bunch of really good stuff on

25. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

No Matter Where We Go came on shuffle while I was driving yesterday and it struck me that this is a perfect summer driving album. I knew it had huge summer vibes, but I felt like it was destined to be for late nights but I was wrong. I can't even describe how perfect it felt driving to that song with the sun shining and the windows down.