Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Whitney Houston Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Mar 7, 2016.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Whitney Elizabeth Houston (August 9, 1963 – February 11, 2012) was an American singer, actress, producer, and model. In 2009, Guinness World Records cited her as the most awarded female act of all time. Houston is one of pop music's best-selling music artists of all-time, with an estimated 170–200 million records sold worldwide. She released seven studio albums and three movie soundtrack albums, all of which have diamond, multi-platinum, platinum or gold certification. Houston's crossover appeal on the popular music charts, as well as her prominence on MTV, starting with her video for "How Will I Know", influenced several African American women artists who follow in her footsteps.

Houston is the only artist to chart seven consecutive No. 1 Billboard Hot 100 hits. She is the second artist behind Elton John and the only woman to have two number-one Billboard 200 Album awards (formerly "Top Pop Albums") on the Billboard magazine year-end charts. Houston's 1985 debut album Whitney Houston became the best-selling debut album by a woman in history. Rolling Stone named it the best album of 1986, and ranked it at number 254 on the magazine's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. Her second studio album Whitney (1987) became the first album by a woman to debut at number one on the Billboard 200 albums chart

[​IMG]

2. cshadows2887

Her first two albums are staggeringly good. And "I Want to Dance with Somebody" is one of the greatest songs of any genre or era, period.

[​IMG]

3. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

An absolute legend. "How Will I Know" is my jam

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  4. Incredible in ways like I don't think most people even really understand. So many people have just no idea about the catalog of amazingness. And they should.

5. cshadows2887

I feel like a lot of people's knowledge of her is theoretical. Like they've seen a movie with her or heard "I Want to Dance with Somebody" and "I Will Always Love You" and that's it. Kinda sad.

6. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I think I fall into the category of only hearing the three big hits on the radio because my mom was never a big Whitney fan when I was a kid: Dance, Always Love You, and How Will I Know are the only songs that jump out to me. I always thought her upbeat pop songs were catchy, and that lead me to find the songwriting duo of Boy Meets Girl. Maybe I should run through her greatest hits and see if there are some other gems.

7. cshadows2887

I would recommend Whitney and Whitney Houston pretty strongly, if you go album instead of comp.

8. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I guess your recommendation makes sense given the two songs I said I am familiar with and find to be catchy. I guess I felt I should go the greatest hits route because I am sure I am missing some songs from her catalog that I do know. But, from a pure sound standpoint, it probably makes sense to go with those two albums.

9. cshadows2887

Her catalog is odd. She really had 3 albums with her classic sound up through 1990. Then a bunch of soundtracks in the 90s and didn't release another proper album until 1998, when sounds had definitely changed. It's a radically different era. Then she disappeared for another 4 years before putting out 3 sort of ignored albums in the 2000s. So compilations, naturally, are a bit messy with her.

But you can't go wrong with Whitney.

10. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

the weirdest thing is that apparently no critics liked "i want to dance with somebody" at the time of release, at least according to wiki

11. cshadows2887

Bastards.

There are days where I truly believe it's the greatest American pop song.

12. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

"I Have Nothing" is a dark horse favorite of mine for her. "I Want To..." is the ultimate wedding reception floor packer, I've noticed.

13. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

just another example of "critics are usually stupid" hah

14. cshadows2887

That was going to be my initial post and then I decided to say something else in case that statement would seem like I'm insulting you. Haha

15. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

im not a critic anymore! at least not unless jason opens up the contributor status here and brings me back on but even thats down the line at the least

16. cshadows2887

No time like the present, man. Streaming services have so much of music history at your fingertips.

Haha eventually. Until then, you're quoted in wiki articles

17. cshadows2887

I haven't. Somebody should for sure. I will in a bit if you don't.