Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Whiskey Thread • Page 5

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bodkins, Feb 21, 2019.

1. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

SlappinCups likes this.
  2. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

IMG_20200202_174229_102.jpg

Ken likes this.
  3. flask

Trusted Supporter

I tried Nikka coffee grain whiskey a few weeks back and it was fantastic. The ~coffee~ notes are noticeable but not in an artificial way. Subtle but delicious. Would recommend.

bodkins likes this.
  4. bodkins

Trusted

I haven’t ventured into Japanese whiskey. Honestly because I cant afford another money pit in case I enjoy them ha.

5. Philll

Trusted

Sent here from the folklore thread. So... how about that new taylor swift album?

6. bodkins

Trusted

Pairs great with a pour of EH Taylor. Enough oak to show some maturity and add structure, but balanced with some nice sweetness still.

Philll likes this.
  7. Philll

Trusted

6 months late on this I know, but what I've tried of Nikka is absolutely fantastic. Not come across the coffee grain, sounds really intriguing.

flask likes this.
  8. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

how do I develop a taste for Scotch, it's getting harder to pretend

shea and scottlechowicz like this.
  9. bodkins

Trusted

I'd recommend switching to bourbon lol

10. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

drink more of it

11. Philll

Trusted

Adding a couple of drops of water can soften it without ruining it. That or ice.

Anthony Brooks, Ken and theagentcoma like this.
  12. theagentcoma

My brother in law has tried to turn me on to it since I moved to Florida, will need to try more

This is the plan

Yeah I've been watering it down a little each time. Anyone have any favorite brands?

Philll, Ken and bodkins like this.
  13. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Macallan. 12 year sherry oak and double cask are both nice and not too crazy expensive.

Sean Murphy and theagentcoma like this.
  14. Philll

Trusted

I got into whisky through bourbon - Bulleit was a good entry because its easy to drink but feels a bit more sophisticated than your Jack Daniels/Jim Beams.

My favourite happens to come from a distillery that I'm lucky enough to live 20 minutes from - The English Whisky Company. Don't think they're very widely available though. Outside of that, I love a Talisker.

Cant remember if I mentioned this here, but for my birthday I got a bottle of the Nikka Coffey Grain. Havent opened it yet but what I've tried of Nikka is the past has been fantastic.

theagentcoma likes this.
  15. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

This work week has been brought to you by Jack on the rocks.

16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

[​IMG]

theagentcoma and Ken like this.
  17. theagentcoma

I've had the Balvenie Doublewood which is sherry and bourbon barrels if I recall correctly. Good stuff.

18. kassie09

Regular

This isn’t remotely special but wild turkey was on sale this month so I bought it and I’ve really been enjoying it! I think it has surpassed bulleit for me.

anything more expensive than these is just lost on me, I never ever appreciated it. I also like to mix whiskey with a little Diet Coke lmao

19. theagentcoma

I read Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail last year and the author is always drinking this stuff. It made me want to go and buy a bottle so I did. I drank entirely too much one night and got hella sick, which is the only time that's ever happened to me after drinking. Probably won't ever touch the stuff again lol

kassie09 and Philll like this.
  20. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I've been waiting for a long time for a Norwegian whiskey to come along, and then last year I found out about a brand called Bivrost, but looking around I found they were sold in extremely limited quantities, and were therefore sold out. Then the week of the election the brand posted on Instagram that they'd be selling a very limited run (2499 bottles) of their "Nidavellir" selection, on the 6th, so I quickly found a site that shipped to the US (as the brand itself didn't), a company out of the Netherlands, and promptly at 1pm that Friday I went on the website and added it to my cart. There was so much demand that the 404 error came up several times. But I kept refreshing and refreshing, and after like 10 minutes my purchase finally went through. Bottle itself was 60 Euros, and then shipping was like 40, so I got crushed with the final price ($118 - ooooffff), but after finally receiving it last Thursday, I have to say it's totally worth it. Using ex wine and bourbon casks, it initially gives off an almost wine smell, but once you taste it, a slight hint of peat hits the senses, and then this delicious whiskey flavor envelops you. More Scotch than Irish whiskey. The brand on Instagram said it sold out in like 10 minutes, so I'm so thankful I got one. Sucks they're so limited, as I wish everybody could get a bottle. Nonetheless, quite happy with this one

Bivrost Nidavellir – Arctic Single Malt Whisky | Bivrost
    [​IMG]

According to Bivrost Nidavellir Whisky - Master of Malt

Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt
    Nose: Dried apricot, floral barley, thyme honey and a hint of barrel char.

Palate: Vanilla builds on the palate, its sweetness juxtaposed by medicinal peat smokiness.

Finish: Hints of clove and cinnamon stick around ion the finish, as does the vanilla.

21. theagentcoma

this looks amazing, thanks for sharing.

side note: I really need to get me one of those Glencairn glasses. Scotch drinkers swear by them. I'm holding off because I think my wife is getting me a set of them for Christmas lol

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  22. bodkins

Trusted

I love my glencairns. Highly recommend them

theagentcoma likes this.
  23. theagentcoma

Just enjoying an afternoon sampler size of Glenlivet. Glad these things exist and I don't have to get a whole bottle or go to a bar to try it!

Philll and Ferrari333SP like this.
  24. bodkins

Trusted

9CC15279-674C-46CA-BB22-0D79AA03D15B.jpeg
    Helped my local bourbon club pick a rye barrel. Tastes even better than I remember.

Ken, Philll and theagentcoma like this.
  25. theagentcoma

ugh another Glencairn, maybe I won't wait until Xmas lol

bodkins likes this.