Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Whiskey Thread • Page 3

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bodkins, Feb 21, 2019.

1. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Pretty sure we sell Blantons for $60, but we rarely see it anymore, unfortunately.

Ken likes this.
  2. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

So this one is overpriced and a lot of purists look down on it (and I'm not even sure I'd still enjoy it), but Angel's Envy is what got me into bourbon.

Otherwise, Michter's bourbon usually goes for around $40 and it's very good. Usually my recommendation for people looking to branch out from the even more recognizable names.

bodkins likes this.
  3. bodkins

Trusted

Depending on where you are it may be tough to find, but I always like to rec Buffalo Trace as a great starter bourbon. Other nice ones would be Four Roses Small Batch, Elijah Craig, or Woodford Reserve. For ryes, I’d recommend Old Forester rye or if you can find it, Sazerac rye.

4. bodkins

Trusted

Second the Michters recs. Both the bourbon and rye are very much worth the 40ish dollar price tag.

Ken and wisdomfordebris like this.
  5. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

These are great recommendations as well. Especially Woodford.

bodkins likes this.
  6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I Back these recs 100%

Scotch aint cheap if you want it good, my best cheap scotch might be Oban or Mac12 but theyre still a lil pricey

bodkins likes this.
  7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

My go to scotch is lagavulin 16 - and its around $55-70 a bottle

Ken, bodkins and theagentcoma like this.
  8. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I am ron swanson

Ken and bodkins like this.
  9. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

(Not ben wyatt)

Ken likes this.
  10. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Monkey Shoulder is a great entry-level cheap scotch

Jake W likes this.
  11. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I like Woodford more than a lot of more expensive whiskeys. It's great

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  12. Dog with a Blog

Where my fellow Laphroaig bois at

elwayinthe4th, theagentcoma and Ken like this.
  13. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

basil hayden's is always nice too.

14. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  15. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

just snagged a bottle of the willett family reserve rye 4 year old

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. bodkins

Trusted

Love their 4 year rye. I've had several batches and all have been different, but highly enjoyable.

My buddy who lives in Louisville has gotten tight with the Willett folks and their master distiller, Drew, lets him tag along on barrel picks. So jealous, but hope to come into some bottles from the picks he's done haha. Their distillery is gorgeous by the way, definitely check it out if you're ever in the area.

Ken likes this.
  17. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I'll keep that in mind! My store just got blanton's, buffalo trace, and eagle rare in today! I guess I know what I'm doing after work haha

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  18. bodkins

Trusted

Jackpot!

Ken likes this.
  19. bodkins

Trusted

In an attempt to post a little more frequent here, wanna spotlight one of my favorite new craft distilleries, New Riff Distilling out of Newport KY.

They've been around for a few years now and first began by selling their sourced whiskey brand, OKI. About a year ago, they began releasing Bottled in Bond bourbons using distillate that they had distilled and aged since opening their doors. Shortly after they started selling single barrel versions that are uncut and left at barrel strength (generally right around 110 proof). A Bottled in Bond and Single Barrel ryes both were released within the past six months, and all of their whiskeys are currently just beyond the 4 year mark.

I was impressed with the original bourbon, particularly for being so good at such a young age. I've tried quite a few of their single barrels and they range from really good to mind boggling amazing. As much as I enjoy their bourbon, I think their rye may be even better. Both the standard 100 proof and single barrel ryes are some of my favorite ryes I've had to date. Seeing that ryes tend to mature a little quicker than bourbon (in terms of being palatable), 4 years is plenty of time to develop some great flavor in a rye.

I'd recommend any of their products, in particular their rye, and when you can, I'd suggest the little extra for a single barrel. Prices range between $40-60. Distribution hasn't moved far beyond Kentucky minus some outlier states, but there is an online retailer (Seelbachs) that sells the bourbon, rye, and single barrel bourbon. If they ship to your state, I've had good experiences using their site and would recommend them for sure.

Let me know if you've tried them, or when you do if you come across their stuff!

*I feel like this reads a bit "promote-y" like I work for the distillery or something haha, just a fan, promise*

Ken likes this.
  20. bodkins

Trusted

Had a really great experience at a regional store recently. Me and a friend of mine went to visit a member of our bourbon club who happens to own a store (score). He had about a dozen barrel picks in stock and let us try through all of them. He had a killer Eagle Rare pick so I snagged a couple bottles of that. He walked out of the back with some Weller Special Reserve, somewhat difficult to find around here and my wife’s favorite supper so snagged that as well. He kept asking if there was anything special we were looking for and kinda wouldn’t quit lol, so I asked for some Weller 12. Turns out he did have some and for $40 no less. Thinking I had plenty I was content to walk out until he brought out a bottle of Smooth Ambler Old Scout 10 year Single Barrel. If you know you know. Had a good time and left with a case of bourbon, kinda rare as far as whiskey finds in SC go.

21. bodkins

Trusted

Snagged a bottle of the new Michter's Toasted Sour Mash this morning. Getting excited that all the limited fall releases are beginning to drop (though my wallet is a bit bummed).

Ken likes this.
  22. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

went out for a few drinks tonight with a friend and had bird dog whisky for the first time, really good. Also had southern tier’s hop flavored whisky. Interesting taste.

Mr. Serotonin, Ken and bodkins like this.
  23. bodkins

Trusted

Heading up to Kentucky early tomorrow morning with our state bourbon club to pick out some bourbon barrels. Tomorrow we'll be at Beam picking a Knob Creek bourbon, Thursday picking two barrels at New Riff (my favorite craft distillery), and Friday morning at Buffalo Trace picking out an Eagle Rare barrel. 4 total, gonna be a blast.

theagentcoma, Sean Murphy and Ken like this.
  24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

sounds amazing!

Ken and bodkins like this.
  25. bodkins

Trusted

I'll try to remember to post some photos. I'm hoping I'm not just wasted for three days straight haha.

Ken and Sean Murphy like this.