Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Whiskey Thread • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bodkins, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

I’m enjoying some eagle rare at the moment

SlappinCups, Ken and bodkins like this.
  2. bodkins

Trusted

Agree that this thread should be more active! I will try to post more (while not being too overbearing).

I sipped on some EH Taylor single barrel today. My big “whiskey moment” of the day was my buddy texting me that he procured me a bottle of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. That was one of the only big fall releases I wanted and missed out on, really glad to be able to add it to the collection.

Ken and wisdomfordebris like this.
  3. bodkins

Trusted

4. bodkins

Trusted

How do you like the 2001? I’m generally not a huge Beam fan, not that I find it bad, just not typically my favorite. Would love your thoughts!

5. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Both EH Taylor Single and Small Batch are so good.

The only two "special" bottles I currently have on hand are Garrison Brothers Cowboy Bourbon and Michter's 10 Year Rye. Haven't opened either but I've had the 10 Year Rye before and damn am I excited to open that once I get through one or two more bottles of the stuff I have open..

Ken and bodkins like this.
  6. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

So I'm not actually very familiar with Beam products so I won't be of much use here (for the most part, I got into whiskey at my current place of work and the spirits buyer there, with whom I share fairly similar taste, discouraged me from trying any knob creek) but I bought this one because we had one bottle left and I had read good things about it online and needed something new. So, with that in mind: I've really been enjoying this bottle. I don't find it particularly memorable - I think the oak is a little overpowering, which I guess is to be expected with something this old, and that's why I said I was glad I didn't have to pay full retail price for it - but the tannic quality is kind of cool and I just love knowing that it was made in 2001. It's definitely a good bourbon, but there are plenty of bourbons I've enjoyed more for like $30 less.

7. bodkins

Trusted

Multi quote so I stop triple posting.
    I enjoy all of the EHT line, maybe the rye a little less so, but the barrel proof is one of my favorites. Four Grain is great as well, but that’s not hitting the shelves again (at least anytime soon).

I’ve got way too many open bottles, so my sealed bottles are pretty numerous. Ive got an unopened M10 rye and it’s on my short list of bottles to pop next. I got a couple bottles of this years Michters Barrel Strength rye and it’s fantastic. One of my favorite ryes this year.

This is great info, thanks for sharing. I’ve tried various Knob Creek store picks that are in the 14-15 year range and I generally find them to be, to my palate, over oaked and too grain forward. I’ve enjoyed Booker’s the rare occasions I’ve tried, but not so much that I keep it around the house.

To tie our convos together, my friend just came into an EHT Single Barrel at cost (his friend works for a bar) and traded it for a store’s 15 year Knob Creek pick that sold out instantly (that’s Louisville for you). I hope he likes it, but I told him I wouldn’t do it haha. That said, the store has a history for great picks, so maybe it’ll be something special.

Edit: where is the store you work at?

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  8. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Oh! I totally lied to you! It's the barrel strength rye that I have as well, NOT the 10 year (I've tried both before though and they're delicious)!

I've only had the EHT Small Batch and Single Barrel. We haven't seen any EHT product in a while though. I work at a store up in MA.

The EHT Single Barrel is SO good, and definitely worth the price difference between that and the Small Batch, but I can't really fault your friend for wanting to try something different and just as hard to come by. I'm still at the point where I don't want to buy any one bottle twice. (Although as soon as we get more Glendalough 13 Mizunara in, it's fucking mine.)

9. bodkins

Trusted

Nice! The Michters BS rye is great and if you’re interested in the 10 year keep your eyes peeled, it releases this month and next.

Definitely keep me posted on what you’re finding and trying, love talking bourbon/rye/whatever.

Ken and wisdomfordebris like this.
  10. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

I work at a liquor store too but my bastard of an owner gives me and his other employee 10% off. Smdh

11. bodkins

Trusted

Boo! Pet peeve of mine when owners try to profit off of employees.

12. wisdomfordebris Jul 5, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 5, 2019)
    wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

That is extremely shitty and IMO grossly disrespectful to the employees. Our only policy about buying alcohol is that allocated items have to be on the floor for at least a day before an employee can buy one, which is fair.

Louisiana Fast likes this.
  13. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

The Minor Case Rye is very tasty. I’m a sucker for wine barrel finished whiskey.

bodkins likes this.
  14. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

08894DAB-37B1-4EB4-A683-47F3BF62B32C.jpeg

Picked up a bottle of this on the cruise portion of our honeymoon almost a year ago and still saving it for every-so-often drinkining, having a glass now and it is faaab.

Ken, bodkins and theagentcoma like this.
  15. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Hell yeah a fellow Scotch lover

Sean Murphy likes this.
  16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

theagentcoma likes this.
  17. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I'm really annoyed with how hard it is to find Blanton's now. Michter's is going that way too it seems.

Jake W likes this.
  18. bodkins

Trusted

What Michters are you looking for?

Ken likes this.
  19. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I like all of the ones that I've had, but the only one I can sometimes find now is the rye.

20. bodkins

Trusted

They’re on allocation, but generally pretty easy to find around here. $45 each Im pretty sure for the rye, bourbon, sour mash, and American whiskey. I could Cost+Ship you some if you’d ever like, just let me know. Blantons is generally available too, but usually around $79.99.

Ken likes this.
  21. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Thanks! I really appreciate that. I can find them online through the PA liquor control board, so I'd just have to make the effort to drive to a far away store haha. But locally it's been harder and harder to find. My current bottle of blanton's has been in my cabinet for close to a year now. Really taking my time with that one.

bodkins likes this.
  22. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Blanton's is £80+ here lol

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  23. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Last time I bought it, it cost about $59.

bodkins likes this.
  24. bodkins

Trusted

Yea but y’all get all the good Blantons lol (Gold and Straight From the Barrel). Luckily there’s an online store that ships to the US that I order those from pretty regularly.
    I’ve gotten it at that price a few times over the past year, but not anywhere in SC. My regular store will generally cut me a break and give it to me at $69, but that’s as low as it gets around where I am. One local is charging $179 and people actually pay it. It’s ridiculous.

Ken likes this.
  25. What are good not terribly expensive whiskeys for a whiskey beginner? Been drinking bulleit and it's decent.