Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Whiskey Thread • Page 11

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bodkins, Feb 21, 2019.

1. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

My buddy just informed me that he was able to scoop me my first bottle of Blanton’s for only $10 over MRSP. So hyped, he’s dropping it off now.

Ken and theagentcoma like this.
  2. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Blantons is fine. It was one of my entry’s into bourbon, but after having so many other options, it kind of is eh in comparison to others, especially in price point with how many places jack the price up

Ken, theagentcoma and billyboatman like this.
  3. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Love me some Blanton’s. It’s just so smooth. One of my first entries as well. I’ve just always wanted a bottle and it’s so hard to find. Especially if you can find it, hoping it’s not jacked up to high heavens.
    upload_2022-4-18_10-48-17.jpeg

Ken, theagentcoma and Joe4th like this.
  4. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

The most polarizing bourbon in the world lol. I've never tried it myself, maybe someday. Nice find!

Ken and billyboatman like this.
  5. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I love Blantons. It was a fair buy at $50 a bottle back when I could find it regularly and I always liked to have a bottle on hand. The whole bourbon market is annoying and exhausting these days.

theagentcoma and billyboatman like this.
  6. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

what do I go for?

Attached Files:

7. Joe4th

18 year. I absolutely love it.

billyboatman likes this.
  8. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Place called Paradise liquors put my buddy on their “secret” bourbon drop email list and he’s gonna come scoop me to go grab a bottle. I was looking at that 18 year, but figured I’d ask y’all haha. Hope I can get one.

9. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

So I'm not disagreeing, or being argumentative or dismissive here, but I see this a lot about bourbon and I'm kind of curious for more information. I'm new(ish) to drinking bourbon and I have a quality store near me, and I can walk in and get a bottle of bourbon, picked out from a great selection, for what seams reasonable, and that's it. 15 minutes later, I'm home drinking a great pour. How much has it actually gone up and what bourbon is missing and hard to get? It seems there's 40 different styles every time I go to store, from all kinds of prices from $30 to $150 including locals and imports from other states.

10. HalfHearted

Regular

EH Taylor Small Batch or Single Barrel would be my choices.

11. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Welp almost everything was gone. Almost went Weller’s 107, they had EH Taylor Small Batch, but I just got one of those. Wanted the single barrel but that was gone, as was Blanton’s. So I went with the last bottle of the toasted Elijah Craig. Really stoked to try this one.
    upload_2022-4-19_16-20-7.jpeg

shea, theagentcoma and irthesteve like this.
  12. theagentcoma

Not sure where you're located but I'm part of a local group in Tampa Bay and the prices have gone up exponentially in the past few years. People are constantly hunting for unicorn bottles like Blanton's, EHT, hell even Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace - which are $30 bottles - are impossible to find. Because of this, bigger stores like Total Wine are only allocated a very small amount of these bottles and they're usually kept behind the counter. People have figured out when these bottles arrive and line up outside the store to buy them before anyone else. This happens to my local TW every Friday.

Smaller stores are then charging ridiculous markups on stuff because of the demand. I've seen Buffalo Trace anywhere from $50-75 and that's a $25 bottle at MSRP. The hunting/collecting aspect has made it impossible to find even the slightly rare stuff and some people are buying them up just to have them sit in their collections.

Ken, billyboatman and Helloelloallo like this.
  13. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Exactly the same thing happening here in NM. One per person type stuff. I like that, but the price gouging is so lame. Especially for the folks who intend to actually drink it.

theagentcoma likes this.
  14. Joe4th

I absolutely love that one too. Good pickup!

15. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Okay, I guess I need to be more attentive. All I know is that my local liquor store (in a downtown metro area) seems to always have a huge collection but I don't know what's rare/good that's missing, or how marked up it was from a few years ago since it's a new drink of choice.

Some of my favorites I've had are Wilderness Trail, Whistle Pig, high west (especially the double rye), and knob creek though I am sure those are all pretty basic for in here judging by some of these last comments but those are pretty standard fare to be in stock without trouble. Whistle pig and wilderness trail are the most expensive normally around $65/bottle if I'm not getting special cask versions or anything. High west is cheap, like $40.

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I have really been digging knob creek. I wanna try the 12 year.

theagentcoma likes this.
  17. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

It tasted great, and smooth too.

theagentcoma likes this.
  18. theagentcoma

Got a Knob Creek 9 Years in my stock rn. A good daily drinker. I want to try the Smoked Maple as well

Ken and billyboatman like this.
  19. HalfHearted

Regular

Knob Creek is probably the best bang for your buck out there right now.

theagentcoma likes this.
  20. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I heard the smoked maple wasn’t great. But if you try it let us know.

theagentcoma likes this.
  21. Ken Apr 20, 2022
    (Last edited: Apr 20, 2022)
    Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Yes, this.

In PA it's awful in a different way due to the state store system. They release specialty whiskeys every so often and the website crashes because everyone tries to go online at the same time. It's basically impossible to get buffalo trace, blantons, etc... even michters can be hard to find sometimes. People with connections get access to the bottles before everyone else, and if you're an average consumer, it's awful. The pandemic exacerbated all of this.

I've been exploring more rum, tequila, and other spirits though, and that's been a nice change.

22. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Positively blazed and blasting Van Halen’s self-titled album in my headphones. I’m basically my dad in 1978 right now.

23. theagentcoma

hell yeah well this is the Van Halen thread

Orla, irthesteve and Ken like this.
  24. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Meant to post this in the 420 Thread but fuck it doesn’t matter. This is now the Van Halen Thread.

25. Atticus5143

Trusted

I feel like the drunk thread is gone so I must settle for this one