Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Whiskey Thread

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bodkins, Feb 21, 2019.

1. bodkins

Trusted

The wise philosopher Matt Healy once declared whiskey never starts to taste nice. I'm inclined to disagree.

Bourbon, Rye, Scotch, Japanese whiskey, whatever you're into. Any other whiskey drinkers on here?

2. bodkins

Trusted

theagentcoma likes this.
  3. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

jameson is pretty much my all purpose/cheap go-to anymore but if I’m feelin’ frisky I’ll get a bottle of glenmorangie.

@Ken probably has some fire recommendations

SlappinCups, bodkins and Ken like this.
  4. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

ya i love da whiskee

SlappinCups and bodkins like this.
  5. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Canadian Club is underappreciated. Such a good whiskey for such a low price. Hard to beat if you want something affordable that will make a nice cocktail like a Manhattan or something as simple as a whiskey & coke/ginger.

SlappinCups and bodkins like this.
  6. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

I’m a big fan of Honey Jack Daniels. Doubt that really count but I’m posting anyway.

7. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I'm an asshole so I pretend to like Scotch

8. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

I’m going to try some Canadian Club whiskey on the reccomendation of Chef @Ken, I like the price point!

9. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

i tried Glenmorangie for the first time the night of the Copeland release. it was... interesting. i tried some straight (think that's the term, i know nothing) which made my eyes water and gasp for air. i had a glass with lots of ice and let it melt a bit as that's what some Google results told me to do, that was better.

certainly not something that can be jugged, but maybe that's just me. but if that's true, i get why most people don't drink something like this because no one has patience for things anymore.

next up i want to try Monkey Shoulder because i like the name and the bottle looked neat. and it was one of the cheapest options.

bachna84 and theagentcoma like this.
  10. bodkins

Trusted

Not that I'm the authority on it, but I say it counts. Interesting (or not) tidbit: Jack Daniel's meets the classifications of being a bourbon, but because they go through an extra step of charcoal filtering, it's instead classified as "Tennessee whiskey".
    My kind of asshole.
    Straight or "neat" are both acceptable terms. You also can add water instead of ice to tame it down. Not to say there's a right or wrong way, but adding water can tame it without changing temp and potentially covering up flavor too much.

11. bodkins

Trusted

Lots of Scotch drinkers in the thread, I typically lean more towards bourbon and rye. Any other bourbon drinkers? Got a favorite brand or distillery?

Also feel like this could be a good place for recs, so recommend away if y'all have stuff that would be cool for others to try.

Ken likes this.
  12. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I was the dummy who rec'd you this stuff. MS is much smoother. And cheaper. And yeah, the bottle looks cool lol.

Maximum assholery: be sure to give it a good smell when you pour it. This is called "nosing" lol. Swish it around your glass to coat the inside. And then swish it around a little after your first pull. Pay close attention to the finish, it's the best part.

Ken and marsupial jones like this.
  13. bodkins

Trusted

When I first started getting into bourbon I thought who gives a shit how it smells. And now when I find a bourbon with a good nose I’m like I don’t even care how it tastes haha. Slightly exaggerated but still. Definitely a great part of the experience.

Ken and theagentcoma like this.
  14. marsupial jones

i did do some of this! i did smell it as i poured it and after i poured it. and i left the first sip in my mouth for like 10-12 seconds. somehow i remember reading that somewhere (or maybe Ron Swanson told me in a P&R episode).

i really enjoyed the finish / after taste. that was great and kept me coming back.

will definitely try Monkey Shoulder next.

bachna84, Ken and theagentcoma like this.
  15. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Jameson is my go to bar whiskey

As far as scotch goes, like ron swanson i am a lagavulin 16 lover and admirer, Macallan 18 is my favorite scotch. Aberfeldy and Oban are also very good Scotches.

As far as Bourbon goes, Basil Hayden is my jam, Few is also a very very good affordable bottle.

SlappinCups, Ken and bodkins like this.
  16. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I enjoy a good bourbon, but hardly drink it anymore. Bulleit I find to be good for the price, Makers Mark is my go to at any bar with a little ginger ale. Breckinridge Bourbon is my favorite, and reasonably priced.

dylan, Ken and bodkins like this.
  17. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Michter’s and Blanton’s are two of my favorites at the moment. I like Four Roses and Buffalo Trace as well.

bodkins likes this.
  18. bodkins

Trusted

We line up quite well on this. BT and 4R are two of my favorite distilleries. I’ve toured both and love most of what they put out. I just received a Four Roses 2016 Limited Edition Small Batch in the mail today actually. Been trying to snag up their more limited edition stuff after loving last years so much.

Ken likes this.
  19. marsupial jones

Whiskey scotch
    Salmon
    Hockey

My life is real good right now.

I love that like half a glass of this stuff gets me loaded.

theagentcoma and bodkins like this.
  20. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

I enjoy whisky

theagentcoma, Ken and bodkins like this.
  21. bodkins

Trusted

Polished off a bottle of E.H. Taylor Small batch today. Tough to find in some markets, but probably my favorite bourbon in the 40-50 dollar range.

Attached Files:

SlappinCups, theagentcoma and Ken like this.
  22. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Yes yes

23. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

This thread should be more active. I'll start.

SlappinCups, Ken and bodkins like this.
  24. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Currently drinking Knob Creek 2001 (Batch 2). It's very good, but I'm glad I didn't pay retail for it. (I work in a liquor store so I get everything at cost.)

I finished my beloved bottle of Glendalough 13 Mizunara Oak the other night, which I'm pretty bummed about - definitely the best Irish whiskey I've tried so far, and also one of the loveliest all-around whiskeys I've ever had.

25. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

here is a very social media worthy picture I took on my phone a little bit ago:

Attached Files: