Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Where The Fuck Are All The Bands? • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 3, 2018.

1. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

That was only the top 3. Look at the rest. 8/10 artists on the list were either a rock band or a country artist that has a full band with them live. A fail to see how it’s dying. If old rock bands can outsell new non rock artists today then maybe it’s not showing rock is dying, it’s showing that other genres of music don’t have a massive appeal other than to a very specific target audience (when it comes to seeing live acts). You can view this anyone you want to view it. I don’t see it as a sign as rock dying as a genre.

2. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I just don't get why Coachella or any festival owes them anything. I mean this has not been a sudden change, it's very gradually been heading this way. People complain about the lineup every year, but Coachella sells out every year, so obviously the disappointed people are in the minority (or more likely, not actually bothered by it as much as they say or think they are). And there are so many fests in this country, find one that works for you.

If none of the festivals appeal to you, save your money and go see the acts you want when they come on their own. There's really no reason to be worried about rock dying.

3. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

I'm being nitpicky about all the discussions in this thread that aren't related to the content of the article, but I'm gonna disagree with you pretty strongly. While I don't necessary agree with some of the points in the article, it's pretty effective as a tool to emphasize your disbelief with something especially as a puff piece editorial on a music news website. It's a lament of times past, not an informative piece.

That's not even getting into it's uses in prose, lyrics, and other forms of literature and art. We would have never gotten these gems from Ceremony otherwise on Still Nothing Moves You:

"I will not be skull-fucked by faith; I AM THE UPSIDE DOWN CROSS" - He-God Has Favored His Undertakings
    "Fuck the government with your fist" - Plutocratic Swine Rake

I need to find more productive ways to kill time at work, but alas.

4. cherrywaves

Trusted

Lol this was your takeaway from the article and the ensuing discussion?

5. cherrywaves

Trusted

Pretty humorous article, not that I entirely agree. I was also shocked to see Bleachers so low on the list.

6. GreyWall

Yes. At this point there are a million festivals each year to chose from with plenty of bands. This is basically a rehashed article from a few years ago when people were freaking out about DJs/electronic music taking over the industry/festivals (Skrillex, Tiesto, Calvin Harris, etc.) and the ensuing "there are no guitars or instruments, this isnt real music... rock is dead!" So yes, his overuse of the word fuck for emphasis (or to sound cool?) is lazy and distracting from the already average article.

7. Analog Drummer

Regular

The Coldplay I was at I can definitely confirm the new songs were just as well received and anticipated amongst the crowds

Also, bands doesn’t necessarily mean Rock. There’s other types of missing that aren’t rock genre it couldn’t had

8. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

And it's also showing that baby boomers have more disposable income to go to very expensive, arena-filling concerts; which also doesn't come as a surprise.

9. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I seriously doubt it’s just baby boomers who attend those shows. The younger generation also like those bands.

10. Analog Drummer

Regular

I saw all 3 as a Gen Y person. Tbh U2 is prob Gen X and GnR is 100% Gen X and Coldplay a millenials not even nostalgia yet

11. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Sorry, I shouldn't have suggested it's only older folks going to those shows, but that they are shows that do attract fans of all ages, including older folks with more disposable income.

12. oneeightytwo

Regular

This guy probably hasn’t even heard more than one Jamiroquai track. Saw them on their last tour and they were so good. They’ll be great fit for a festival.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  13. J.Dick

Regular

Never Forget

Nate_Johnson and Analog Drummer like this.