Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Where The Fuck Are All The Bands?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Tom Breihan, writing for Stereogum:

The answer, of course, is that nobody at Coachella wants to see any fucking bands. (One exception might be Tomlinson’s old band, which only fits the loosest possible definition of the term “band.”) If you’ve been to the festival in recent years, you already know that rock bands basically don’t move the needle at all when it comes to that festival.

2. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Same thing I'm wondering.

Raku likes this.
  3. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

This is a funny article and amazingly pretty accurate.

morken and jlinitz like this.
  4. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Forgive me if I don't shed a tear.

Anyway the shots at Jamiroquai feel incredibly unnecessary and detached from an entire music scene who enjoys them. Some of his points throughout this are good, others are petty.

5. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

As someone who's never paid much attention to Coachella in the first place, there are plenty of festivals that are nothing but bands. This isn't exactly the right audience. I am interested to see what kind of crowd A Perfect Circle plays to, though.

6. Sander

kflkmflkm

Seeing Portugal. The Man billed so high is blowing my mind

7. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

It's really just a tired (and lazy) question to ask now in 2018. 15 years ago, when there were four or five festivals nationwide, this probably held more weight. But come on, finding a festival with "bands" isn't hard these days. Even if you can't, "bands" tour and come to your town all the time Louis. No need to tweet about it.

I can only imagine the work that goes into booking a festival. No need to be salty that Oasis didn't want to reunite, or that a "band" *possibly* didn't want to play at noon, in the desert, to a handful of people.

The question on which Belly is booked did get a chuckle out of me though.

8. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

It's the end of an era. I still find lots of great, talented bands in local breweries and small venues around town though.

cherrywaves, Raku and Nate_Johnson like this.
  9. Analog Drummer Jan 3, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 3, 2018)
    Analog Drummer

Regular

Coachella looking from the outside seems to be a fashion parade where a good insta post and Snapchat story to boast that ou were there and lookin pretty is well above seeing any music, let alone bands

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I would be so stoked to see them

11. Fucking Dustin

12. oakhurst Jan 3, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 3, 2018)
    oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I imagine the people that go to Coachella don't care about bands with musical instruments. They just want to dance and take snapchat filters (guys and girls). Whatever floats their boat. There are a few good acts on the line-up, though. Eminem and Sigrid for sure.

13. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

As someone that has been to Coachella a few times... this isn’t true at all. And the language people use when they say things like this always seems vaguely sexist

14. Analog Drummer

Regular

Sexist?

15. Analog Drummer

Regular

I’d love to see and dance to jamiroquai too!!!
    Jamiroquai, a perfect circle and pvris are prob the only acts on the whole poster I listen to out of my own choice (not through parties, or general tv and radio hearing)

Nate_Johnson and Fucking Dustin like this.
  16. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Idk assuming people are there to look pretty and take selfies just kinda rubs me the wrong way

17. Analog Drummer

Regular

Fair enough, of course there’s people there to see the music, but out of every big world festival (Glastonbury, download, Reading, soundwave, warped, tomorrowland) coachella definitely feels it’s the one to be seen at rather than see music

And men can take filtered shirtless selfies too, if assumed I meant just ladies I def meant both genders being narcissistic

18. Fucking Dustin

I think it's more complicated than it being a festival to "be seen at".

-Coachella is billed as a music and arts festival. Now I'm not pretending like that means 50% of the crowd is private art collectors or anything but there are lots of things to do other than watch bands at all times.

-Given that the festival is in the desert, it's likely that people aren't gonna stand in the middle of crowds the whole time they're there, and may watch artists in a more passive way than going into the crowd itself given the high temperatures and how dense that crowd may feel.

-Festivals are exhausting anyway so a lot of the times people won't go all out for every hour there.

-Festivals also detract from big acts' tours in a way that forces fans of just that act to go to the festival to see them, that may be the case as well and they don't wanna waste their money by just watching that one act so they attend the whole festival day to check it out.

I don't know. While I understand the thought of being like "Coachella is becoming a tourist attraction" I also 100% get why people would be "appearing" to just be there to be there. When I went to festivals in the Austin TX area I was kinda the same, I get winded easily so I'd watch a couple bands, find a nice shaded area to hang out, walk around and check out food, etc. There are lots of festivals where I'd see maybe 3-4 acts there on the day I went, and I still felt like I enjoyed the festival and got a lot out of it.

ComedownMachine likes this.
  19. Saephon

Regular

I feel like there are more amazing, lesser-known rock bands than ever before right now, so it's kind of sad to see major festivals and mainstream radio toss away the genre in favor of pop and hiphop. Not that there's anything wrong with those, I just feel like there's room to share, not replace.

20. Analog Drummer

Regular

Did jamiroquai only have 1 US hit. Surely that’s not right. All over the world they had at least 10. Greatest hits album is stacked

21. Fucking Dustin

I'm sure they didn't, or it's at the very least a cult thing where while they may not have tons of US hits they have diehards

Like I don't get how the writer can comment on the occult Brand New turnout but question its possibility with Jamiroquai unless it's just not the scene of the writer at all

22. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

Not ONE person I've seen online made one mention of X Japan playing. What the fuck, supposed "rock" fans? Also, Jamiroquai has more than one hit. Plenty of songs in the dance charts.

swboyd likes this.
  23. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This reminds me of Reading Festival's issue. Seeing Japandroids play to like 50 people in a tent that can hold several hundred was hugely depressing.

Paul Beaumont likes this.
  24. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Honestly I think Chicago has one of the best set ups for music festivals.

Indie/trendy? Pitchfork.
    Mainstream festival experience? Lollapalooza.
    Punk/throwback rock? Riot Fest.
    Hard rock? Open Air.
    EDM? Spring Awakening.
    Etc.

In other words, it doesn't bother me when Lolla is not rock heavy, since that's really what I go to Riot Fest for. I appreciate Lolla as a chance to see some artists I may not otherwise have the time to check out. I would be pretty excited if the Lolla lineup was similar to Coachella's. I know other cities have multiple festivals too, but I'm not sure if there's another city where each festival really has carved out it's niche the way it works in Chicago.

25. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Hush, Lewis