Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Where Can I Stab Myself in the Ears • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 10, 2017.

1. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I didn't throw Paramore in there, But Chester is not anything to write home about. If you consider range being that he does heavier style vocals as well as clean singing, sure. Other than that, having seen both live, Hayley takes the cake.

2. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Well, it's obviously in jest hence why they even say "he laughed." after the quote. Just like plenty of people commonly say, "go f yourself". Nothing to make a bit deal over. It got people to take notice and so maybe it'll help.

Raku likes this.
  3. who cares who is better. stop comparing a female vocalist to a male one. that's just plain gross

4. it is a big deal for their fans with mental heath issues, like me. It's not something to joke about.

5. and I don't care if it was for laughs or not, it's still highly inappropriate. like wtf, it's obvious he shouldn't have said that. why are so many people still defending his choice of words and finding excuses ?

6. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

There's nothing gross about comparing two majorly influential and popular vocalists who are in the same field of work. You are the only one making it about gender.

7. ZeoVGM

Regular

Not the best way to handle it but I can understand the frustration. He's saying what a lot of people in other bands are thinking when they're berated on Twitter or YouTube about "selling out" or "this isn't (insert band name here)."

Raku likes this.
  8. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

If comparing Hayley to Chester is gross because it's an insult to Hayley's voice, than I agree.

9. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Well, he's only addressing the "fans" who are making wild assumptions that the band is selling out (when a nu-metal LP record would probably sell better) and therefore essentially tarnishing the legacy and career of the band. So of course Chester is going to be pissed off. These "fans" aren't thinking of the consequences of their own actions. Ultimately, I sympathise with Chester and it's his choice of words that striked that message loud and clearfor me.

Raku likes this.
  10. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

What a ridiculous comparison. The original post only was comparing the sonic evolution of LP, FOB, and Paramore... why are we comparing vocalists again?

11. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

My comment could've said "Paramore" in stead of Hayley. My mistake. Same thoughts though.

12. marceting

Trusted

Jason with the throwback post name, love it

13. lol. thanks for reminding me i'm on the frontpage. nothing has changed since the end of ap.net there

14. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

The post was accurate...

Raku likes this.
  15. what the fans did is nothing compared to his triggering choice of words. it's not even comparable. plus most of their fans are young, in their teens, twenties, or in their thirties for those who were already teens during the Hybryd Theory and Meteora eras. dude's almost (?) 41 years old and still acts like telling their fans to stab themselves is okay. this is not, like this isn't even defendable at all if you are someone (like Chester or me) who struggled with mental health issues.

16. it reminds me of all those music fans who say things like "wow this song rocks my ears got raped", especially on YouTube and young communities like the Pop Punk part of Reddit. pretty much the same rhetoric to me, and i can't condone that behavior.

17. i'm referring to Davjs' comment. it doesn't make any sense to me to compare her to Chester, and it sends the wrong message to me. both aren't even in the same music realm. i know this point is arguable, but just listen to their discographies, and you'll see what i mean. again, comparing a female singer to a male one (in this way, i'm not saying you aren't allowed to do that) is something that I unlearned over the years, because Hayley took enough sexism from the music scene on one hand, and because this was a huge part of what made ap.net's frontpage a toxic place, especially on news threads related to female fronted bands and artists. so that's what I see when I read those comments . not trying to be mean, just making sure you all get my point.

18. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

His choice of words is still a light-hearted retalliation at people who are besmerching his band - not directed at the harmless "fans". Imagine people constantly publically bitching about your new work, making harmful false assumptions about your motives behind it. Is that not going to be triggering for you? He's the one getting asked questions from NME about this backwards shit instead of focusing on his new material.

You can't just brush that shit off with age or celebrity status - he's a human too. He's basically telling them to move along and leave him alone with that bs. His choice of words make that clearer now than it ever has been before = more effective. I know it'd probably trigger HIM, so why mention it. So I support his words as it's just figurative and not directed at any individual except people who're probably being dicks to him anyway.

Raku likes this.
  19. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

Well, they haven't moved on either:

Jokes aside, subway performances are fun and that would've been a cool one to see!