Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

When a Stranger Decides to Destroy Your Life

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Kashmir Hill, writing at Gizmodo:

But in September 2015, she was suddenly plunged into an American nightmare. She got a call at 6 a.m. one morning from a colleague at Re/Max telling her something terrible had been posted about her on the Re/Max Facebook page. [Monika Glennon] thought at first she meant that a client had left her a bad review, but it turned out to be much worse than that.

It was a link to a story about Glennon on She’s A Homewrecker, a site that exists for the sole purpose of shaming the alleged “other woman.” The author of the Homewrecker post claimed that she and her husband had used Glennon as their realtor and that everything was going great until one evening when she walked in on Glennon having sex with her husband on the floor of a home the couple had been scheduled to see. The unnamed woman went into graphic detail about the sex act and claimed she’d taken photos that she used to get everything from her husband in a divorce. The only photo she posted though was Glennon’s professional headshot, taken from her bio page on Re/Max’s site.

Glennon was horrified. The story was completely fabricated and she had no idea why someone would have written it. Someone on Facebook named Ryan Baxter had posted it to the Re/Max page; Baxter also went through Glennon’s Facebook friend list and sent it to her husband, family members, and many of her professional contacts.

Raku and BornToRun like this.
  2. maxracer

\a news story for a hot summer night at the start of the fiscal year

3. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

this is why ive been trying to be less Online. shit's just not going to self-regulate, and there's only so much locking up of my personal info i can do without missing something and leaving myself open to total ruin

Raku likes this.
  4. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

This story hits too close to home. Just two weeks ago, I came into work and discovered someone had created a fake Twitter account (using my name, my avatar, etc) and was harassing prominent black folks. It turned my stomach.

Luckily, one person googled my name, compared my actual Twitter account to the fake one, and quickly deduced it wasn't me making the offending tweets. They mentioned me on a Tweet and by the time I learned that all of this had taken place, the account was deleted.

It was an icky feeling I would hope not to relive. I'm almost certain this was brought on from me arguing with pro-Trump folks online, too.