Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

WhatsApp Turns on Encryption • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 6, 2016.

1. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Just an FYI, end to end encryption is great, but WhatsApp still collects and stores information regarding who is sending data to who. If you're interested, there's an app by Open Whisper Systems called Signal that has always provided end to end encryption, as well as does not store information regarding the recipients of data. In fact the security professional that helped WhatsApp with its recent encryption change is the main person behind Open Whisper Systems. Here was a quick back and forth I had with Micah from freedomofpress.

2. 9th At Pine

Last one out of Liberty City burn it to the ground

Clearly I'm in the minority here, but I'm in the US and WhatsApp is the primary messaging app my friends and I use. In my opinion it's the best app for group messaging, particularly when there is a mix of iPhones and androids being used in the group. I used to have an iPhone and switched to an Android, and I still have that problem where group messages from iPhones occasionally get lost when sent over SMS because people's phones try to send them as imessages instead of regular SMS. I don't really use Facebook so I'd rather not use their messenger and SMS messaging is so slow and clunky IMO.

3. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Whatsapp's encryption is based on Signal so...

I would trust that WhatsApp is now doing the same.

4. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

The encryption is the same, however my point was that WhatsApp still collects and stores data while Signal does not. This is what I linked to in my post.

[​IMG]

5. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

Honestly, I could care less if they know who Im texting/talking to. Really doesn't matter in the slightest to me since everything is encrypted anyway.