Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

What My Students Like! (High School Album Review Thread) • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Apr 26, 2017.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The first two weeks we listened and discussed. I didn't make them write anything and the discussion was a bit lacking at the end of each album, so for this week I'm going to have them do a track by track bullet point style outline of what they like/didn't for the album which will hopefully get more coherent thoughts out.

In the upcoming weeks I'm going to have the kids bring in criticism of their favorite albums and take a look at what they like/don't like about the writing. Eventually I hope to create some sort of online blog/writing space for them to talk about music.

Anthony_ likes this.
  2. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

And this is all for a club? Not a class, right?

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah for now. I'll make my journalism kids do a project next semester on it

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

They liked YFW. I threw on Cute Without the E and Leaving by TSL. Gonna play some Front Bottoms and cut them loose. They seemingly enjoyed it

Anthony_ and Zac Djamoos like this.
  5. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

that's really awesome!

6. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Trying to get all my hip-hop obsessed students to write album/mixtape reviews has really made me realize how much the genre has fully transformed into a singles medium the last few years.

7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

OTIP today. Pretty lukewarm response, honestly. A few kids didn't like the "screaming" which baffled me but w/e. Gates was the overwhelming favorite of the kids.

CAC3 likes this.
  8. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Has there ever been a time where you threw on an album and someone already knew it?

9. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

We're doomed.

Anthony_ likes this.
  10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

It's pretty accessible "screaming" that's weird. It's more like shouting.

11. As a current junior this is actually sick. Seriously wonder if somewhere far away there's a high school full of kids who'd actually know what you play in class.

12. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

At least they recognized the goat

13. sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

I didnt have a computer till senior year myself so I was behind the ball. But once I found Limewire it was a wrap. My fav bands/artists then were Slipknot, Manson, Pink Floyd, and DMX lol. I always loved music just didn't have the avenue to learn more till then... once I did though?

[​IMG]

So i'm not terribly mad at High School kids for not knowing/appreciating. Hell some of my favorite artists now I didn't even really like/"get" upon first listen, ha.

14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Kid just put me on to this dude

15. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Sounds like they really like Mac Demarco

16. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

17. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

that's the most gutless piece of music I've ever heard

18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

ur avatar is from "I Am a Nightmare"

19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I think I like what I've heard from that dude more than any Mac Demarco song I've heard, and I don't like it very much.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  20. Mac Demarco's mini album from a few years ago is leagues better than the rest of his discography imo and that song reminds me of it, p good but definitely derivative of the Mac sound

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Tried to pick a 2017 album this week. We decided on A Deeper Understanding by The War on Drugs. Surprised they knew who they were, but I guess they're a Philly band so it makes sense.

CarpetElf likes this.
  22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Oof, not going over well aside from the one kid

23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

This music video is amazing. I love that they purposely put the entire band staring into the sun

24. fame

i thought this was chorus.FM?? Prestigious

boy pablo ep is actually v enjoyable. one of the tracks reminds me of early vampire weekend

i could imagine (non-dorky) high school students liking clario

25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

In honor of my car being covered in frost for the first time all year, For Emma today!