Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

What is the greatest trilogy of all time? • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Mar 25, 2016.

1. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Back To The Future
    Indiana Jones (pre CS)
    Romero's Dead Trilogy

2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Mass Effect is my favorite piece of video game narrative art ever made. (edit: Somehow whenever I tell people this I forget about Journey. Journey challenges it.)

The Lord of the Rings books and films are absolutely essential to me and my go-to for a perfect trilogy.

The Before trilogy is a masterpiece of filmmaking, though it may end up featuring another entry. Would that disqualify it? As it stands now it is beautiful.

After that, I guess it depends on how you're grading a trilogy. The three I listed above have absolutely excellent, near flawless entries for all three pieces. Would the Godfather, two masterpieces and a middling to mediocre third installment, then not be considered a truly great trilogy? I think so. Ditto for Star Wars, Return of the Jedi is just enough under the quality of the first two where I'm not sure it matches something like the Before trilogy/Lord of the Rings/Mass Effect, where each entry is exceptional.

3. Nathan

Oh, a fun video game trilogy that isn't near as impactful or incredible as some of the stuff mentioned, but I'd like to shout out to anyway, is the Jak series. Jak & Daxter, Jak II, Jak 3. Really love those games.

4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Before Trilogy is my favourite movie trilogy.

For games maybe God of War, first three Crash Bandicoot's, first three Sonic games.

5. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

great one. I only didn't pick it because of how much more I love the first one than the other two. All three are excellent though.

6. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Max Payne is my favourite video game trilogy by far. I genuinely love each one of those games, even if the story in the 3rd one kinda sucks a bit.

7. phaynes1

Regular

Not the same genre or whatever but Linklater's Before... Series is my favorite trilogy

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. Obligatory Star Wars mention. I also liked Toy Story, which won't be a trilogy in 2 years. Although panned, I'll throw in Alien/Aliens/Alien 3. I try my best to forget Resurrection exists.

9. GettingSodas

Chorus.fm Resident Soda Expert Prestigious

The original Star Wars trilogy, no competition for movies.

10. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Atlas Shrugged

11. You mean the books right?

12. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

13. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Part of me wants to say Back to the Future, but #2 is a clearly imperfect film that knocks the whole thing down a few notches. I'd say the same for Dark Knight, since DKR is a bit sloppy.

So I'll say, original SW, Bourne, and Indy for me.

14. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Before Trilogy. Some of my favorite movies, period, regardless of the fact that they're a trilogy. I could watch Hawke and Delpy talk about anything for hours and hours on end.

Chase Tremaine and Jason Tate like this.
  15. jorbjorb

7 rings

Mighty Ducks

16. All my favs have been mentioned. LOTR, Star Wars, Dark Knight, Toy Story, Before series, Cornetto, Bourne.

I'll throw in the Evil Dead trilogy as another one of my favs. Ong-Bak and Ip Man trilogies for action/martial arts junkies. If The Raid 3 is ever made, that would create what would likely be my favorite action trilogy of all time.

17. Nathan

I like the Ocean's trilogy a lot, though Eleven is the only one that's great. The others are fun though, if not up to the initial level of quality.

18. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

The Before trilogy is probably tied with the LotR movies for my top spot

Edit: glad to see the love for it around here. Hardly anyone I know irl is aware of it

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  19. shea

RIP Supporter

Back to the Future on the second page? :uhoh:

Assuming part 4 doesn't count, and despite the third being a complete turd, and the second not being great, I'll say Scream just because I didn't notice it upon skimming the thread, and it's probably still a top 5 franchise for me.

20. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Mass Effect, Mistborn, Silent Hill isn't exactly a trilogy but it can be viewed as one.

Hopefully The Raid eventually

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  21. Fingers crossed for The Raid. Best action series of modern day. The Raid 2 blew my mind in theaters.

22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

It's planned for 2018 or so.

23. That is wonderful news. Now I hope it stops there. I'd like to see a perfectly tied up fight trilogy. Those are rare.

24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

According to Wiki, it is supposed to take place two hours before the conclusion of the last one. I don't know if that means our favorite character will still be alive. lol

25. I can't wait to find out.