Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

What is the greatest trilogy of all time?

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I won't make a poll for this, as I am bound to leave off something you love. It can be video games, books, films.

There are too many to name, so here are a few that come to mind:
    Lord of the Rings (books or film)
    The Hobbit (film)
    Star Wars
    The Godfather
    Mass Effect
    Die Hard
    Evil Dead

2. Since you already covered the films that popped into my mind (LotR and Star Wars), I'll do video games.

Mass Effect
    Uncharted
    Batman: Arkham

edit: saw you mentioned ME too, my bad.

3. Hard to top Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, but I'll add the first three Indiana Jones movies and the Toy Story trilogy.

4. chris

Trusted Supporter

Star Wars goes without saying
    Mass Effect, oh man I wish I could wipe my brain and experience that whole thing over again

5. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Gotta agree with Toy Story as a favorite. They work really well together as one complete story about growing up, accepting change, etc.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  6. Being the roughly the same age as Andy throughout the series certainly didn't hurt either. I'm really curious how the next one is going to turn out. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit worried.

7. Meerkat

I'm cautiously optimistic. Hearing Rashida Jones talk about the process of making a Pixar movie has upped my excitement for sure. She talked with Sam Jones for Off Camera and she was talking about how with Pixar, when coming up with ideas, no one is afraid to be wrong or put out an idea that won't work because it could inspire something great from someone else. Hearing about Pixar's process story wise reminded me that even when Pixar doesn't hit quite as hard, they're still always attempting to tell a great story.

8. I totally forgot she was writing it. I'll have to check out that interview.

9. Meerkat

Jason Tate and troyplaysbass like this.
  10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

The Cornetto trilogy might actually be my favorite. Edgar Wright is the best.

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Nothing will ever top Lord of the Rings for me, book or movie. That story transcends everything for me. The most important work of art in my life, bar none.

Books:
    Lord of the Rings
    The Hunger Games
    The Magicians

Movies:
    Lord of the Rings
    Toy Story
    The Matrix
    Aladdin
    Madagascar

A lot of my issues coming up with trilogies I enjoy/love is that a lot of them have experience expansions that no longer let me consider them a trilogy.

12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I think it is pretty easy to discern a lot of the times what shouldn't even be considered canon after a trilogy.

For example: I think discluding IJ 4 or Die Hard 4 and 5 are perfectly fair given the legacy of the first three film.

13. If you haven't read Creativity, Inc., I'd definitely recommend it. Really interesting stuff.

14. My favorites:

Star Wars
    Bourne Trilogy
    Toy Story
    The Dark Knight
    Dollars Trilogy
    Three Flavours Cornetto
    Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight

15. I forgot about the Bourne Trilogy. I really enjoyed those, but I don't think I've watched one since Ultimatum was in theaters.

16. I pretend that one doesn't exist. Haha.

17. That was the last Matt Damon one, right? I remember thinking it was good, but it's been almost ten years haha. I never saw the one with Jeremy Renner.

18. Oh, I meant the Renner one, my bad!

19. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

bioshock :D

I forgot about the Bourne trilogy! def a favorite along with toy story

Jason Tate and scott like this.
  20. chris

Trusted Supporter

Can't wait for the remaster. I don't remember much of the first, never played the 2nd, and Infinite is still one of my favorite games of all time

lightning13 likes this.
  21. Meerkat

Love the Bourne trilogy. Wish Renner's movie had never been made. What an unenjoyable movie

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. chris

Trusted Supporter

I have not seen a single Bourne movie

23. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I definitely understand why/how people do it, but as someone who wants to be a creator, I'd rather respect the artist who is saying "there is more story here outside the initial story"... Yeah, even if it's a cash grab/something that doesn't live up to the standard of the initial tale. If there is a clear cast break or time jump (Sanderson's Mistborn trilogies come to mind in books, as they're not a connected set of anything but world) it's different for me. But Indiana Jones is a Quintet for me now because the creator/characters are the same, etc.

Star Wars is operating in three separate trilogies, which makes it different in this situation for me. Fully realize I'm going to be in the minority with this sort of opinion.

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Before Trilogy

Jason Tate likes this.
  25. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Not The Matrix.