Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

What happened to catchy pop punk? • Page 9

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by TFT87, Apr 11, 2016.

1. invaderphantom

This thread is a fun read. Completely agreed, the modern popular pop punk bands (Neck Deep, Knuckle Puck etc.) just aren't catchy at all. Neck Deep had a catchy record with Life's Not Out to Get You, but went back to genericness with their new one.

Even when it comes to bands like Man Overboard and The Story So Far - I heard so many good things about them, and I thought I went insane when I listened to all their albums and not a single song stuck with me in any way. I thought maybe I just outgrew the genre, but I still love the stuff from the 90s and 2000s. The anwer is simple, these current popular bands just aren't as good at songwriting.

I especially agree with the points that these bands try (and fail) to write catchy choruses so hard that literally every other part of the song is even more unmemorable. They forget that bands like Green Day, blink etc. didn't just have great choruses, they had amazing melodies in their verses, pre-choruses, bridges, even guitar and bass parts with catchy melodies. I sing along to the basslines from Dookie all the fucking time.

The only modern band that I truly think are amazingly catchy are PKEW PKEW PKEW, and they border on satire.

Kuri44, latortuga and sophos34 like this.
  2. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Half the bands you mention above aren't really trying to be just "catchy". Bands like TSSF have influences that are hardcore and punk, for instance.

Man Overboard had some great songs on their debut then got stale.

3. DannyZach

Trusted

Just listening to PKEW....wow really great,never heard of them before.It goes in same veins with Direct Hit!,Dear Lanlord or Dopamines....see these are still pop/punk but totally different (thousands times better) than Neck Deep or Man Overboard lol

invaderphantom likes this.
  4. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

The Wrecks is a good band for this kind of thing, but they only have like 3 songs.

5. Last October says hi

sawhney[rusted]2 and Zac Djamoos like this.
  6. jorbjorb

7 rings

my post was from july. I like the new record.

Carrow, Zac Djamoos and OotyPa like this.
  7. I somehow missed that this thread went almost 6 months without a post hahah, it's all good!

jorbjorb likes this.
  8. cherrywaves

Trusted

the Iron Chic record is so awesome

jorbjorb likes this.
  9. invaderphantom

Check out this video that dissects All the Small Things. I think it shows just how much creative songwriting/producing went into golden era-pop punk songs.

sophos34 likes this.
  10. dizzkitt

11. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

Real catchy pop-punk from Norway

12. Jelutong

If you're wanting catchy Pop Punk, then listen to 'Runaway' by 5 young guys called Maggie Cassidy from the UK. The chorus comes in within the first half minute and it will be stuck in your head after only listening to the song twice! It's so good!

SamLevi11 likes this.
  13. bluecharliedeltaecho Sep 3, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 4, 2019)
    bluecharliedeltaecho

Regular

x