Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

What happened to catchy pop punk? • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by TFT87, Apr 11, 2016.

1. TFT87

Regular

Makes sense, but it's kinda sad these bands can't write catchy music without cowriters. I get it though, writing music (especially catchy music) is pretty difficult.

A lot of bands that I think put out the catchiest stuff did so on indie labels like Fearless and Hopeless, but I guess those are considered major since they have distribution deals with major labels or something like that.

2. JettaPA

Does RVIVR fit the bill?

3. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

There are definitley exceptions, especially on Hopeless. I just think what I pointed out might be part of it. It's not just co-writers either, it's also simply about the presence of money that enables you to take time to perfect songs.

4. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

RVIVR is good but at that point if I want to hear that voice I'd rather listen to Latterman, haha.

5. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I have never read a truer post. So much love for Funtitled. Wasn't really into Mable at all, but Funtitled is incredible.

That and 61 Penn from Crucial Dudes were the best non-Latterman Latterman records.

Also, I'll 3rd, or 4th or whatever, the recommendation for Microwave's Stovall, probably one of my favorite albums of the last few years:

6. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Mable is great. The EP before that is my favorite Spraynard release tho

Microwave is so so good. I hope they have a new release slated for this year

7. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

it's still dormant somewhere in the back of Soupy's mind. its also on hiatus after having released Oh, Common Life

how is this possible

8. trevorshmevor Jun 21, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 21, 2016)
    Let us not forget these two early 00's gems

cherrywaves and Zac Djamoos like this.
  9. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Autopilot off ❤️

trevorshmevor likes this.
  10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

you guys ever listen to Inkwell back in the day? they're pretty incredible imo

11. drstrong

I'm Back.

I think Seaway is the best pop punk band out there right now and probably the only band that brings me back to the early 2000's in terms of sound.

12. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

I feel like its just been hashed out ad nauseum. Most music trends dont last this long and pop punk is sort of limited musically. Theres not much else to really do in the genre that hasnt already been perfected by tons of bands.

13. The Lucky Moose Jun 21, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 21, 2016)
    The Lucky Moose

I did not know Seaway until now and it turns out I like their music. Thanks. I like pop-punk but it's hard to keep up with it sometimes.

14. drstrong

I'm Back.

Awesome, glad I could point out a new band! Not only are they catchy, their music videos are NFG-esque and just fun.

Remember GOB? They were fun, I think it was GOB, I get them confused with Guttermouth.

15. drstrong

I'm Back.

Nothing will ever top this type of shit.

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  16. The Lucky Moose

Yeah they're fun. A lot of pop-punk is more emo-ish now (or at least the one I am exposed to), which is fine, and I like a lot of it, but I've always really liked this type of stuff.

And yeah GOB was awesome!

17. drstrong

I'm Back.

Yea most pop punk is hidden in other genres now, like Moose Blood (that's it, right?), they're pretty pop-punky but with a twinge of emo.

-Spraynard
    -Pentimento
    -Light Years
    -City Lights (Most pop-punkish out of this group. Sounds like Max Herrera at times)
    -Make Do and Mend (Might be a bit of a stretch, but fucking good regardless)
    -The American Scene (same as above)
    -Postcards

18. The Lucky Moose

Thanks for the suggestion man! Oh man I love Spraynard, Mable was maybe my favorite album of last year.

19. drstrong

I'm Back.

No problem! Some of those are a bit of a stretch, but who gives a shit haha.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  20. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

OhTheWater and The Lucky Moose like this.
  21. The Lucky Moose

cwhit likes this.
  22. Horrorca

Trusted

innovative isn't always good and repeating a formula not always boring

there are bands/genres I like because they break new ground, but there's shit I like because they do a formula I enjoy in a cool way

if yr looking for innovation of course pop punk (maybe 99% of guitar music) is not the place to look

23. drstrong

I'm Back.

Were band like Goldfinger considered "pop punk", or was that something different? I never put them into the same category for some reason.

24. TFT87

Regular

That can pretty much be applied to any genre. How can genres like rap and country be innovated upon?

25. drstrong

I'm Back.

Just stumbled upon Assuming We Survive...seems pretty good so far, a bit on the harder side of the pop punk scale.

BUT, it's got the typical pop punk drum beat and plenty of gang vocals!