Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

What happened to catchy pop punk? • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by TFT87, Apr 11, 2016.

1. realphilrizzo

It was sad that The Swellers didn't blow up like bands TWY and Man Overboard did. I agree they were probably the best pop punk band of that 2009-2011 era.

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Spraynard's Funtitled is the best Latterman record and INGO is a classic ya punks

DarkHotline likes this.
  3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i disagree so hard with the spraynard statement, haha

4. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

both of these statements are correct

5. cherrywaves

Trusted

INGO is just about on par with the last two records

CoffeeEyes17 and Zac Djamoos like this.
  6. cwhit

i like the songs on no matter where you go so much better than anything from spraynard and everything that band has done is super important :shrug: idk

7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

wtf is ingo

8. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

TGG was my favorite, but when I revisited fairly recently it didn't hold up so well. I might actually like SIGYAANIN best

Maaaaaaaaan I disagree. Definitely not as good as the last two IMO but only a couple notches below. Absolutely one of my favorite (pop punk) albums of this decade or so. Love it almost all the way through

Ivan likes this.
  9. Leftandleaving

It Never Goes Out, the Hotelier's first proper full length. Was released when they were still called The Hotel Year

10. irthesteve

ah. thanks. doesn't sound like something i would enjoy :shrug:

11. Leftandleaving

If you like any of the bands stuff at all it's worth a listen IMO. At least the song An Ode to the Nite Ratz Club. Seems to be the consensus best on the album

12. cwhit

nite ratz is such a ridiculously good song, i cry when they get to the end of the second verse into the bridge

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  13. irthesteve

Yeah someone actually reccomended that song to me on AP in a Hotelier thread I think, didn't really care for it as I remember

14. what

Regular

The stretch of vacancy through weathered is rad, nite rats is still my favorite song by them honestly.

Ivan and Zac Djamoos like this.
  15. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

The Larry Arms are the goddamn best.

16. marsvoltamcr

Trusted

Teenage Bottlerocket, Masked Intruder, and PUP are all great and catchy

17. realphilrizzo

Masked Intruder is SUPER catchy. It took me until a year ago to check them out because I thought they'd suck since they wear those goofy masks. But then I heard "The Most Beautiful Girl" and loved it and checked out all their music and loved every song.

18. DannyZach

Trusted

19. DannyZach

Trusted

People in my age can't really compare today's pop punk with what we had in early 2000's.its a totally different genre now.look at today's ,,Punk Goes ....". I bet someone of younger generation like it but me...I just gonna keep GOB,FenixTx,MxPx,Slick Shoes,Sugarcult and all these guys forever

Jake Z likes this.
  20. Leftandleaving

Shame :(

21. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

am i allowed to listen to state champs

22. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

question, am i the only person that listened to Down To Earth Approach in here lol?

CAC3 and OwainGlyndwr like this.
  23. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

No way - I loved this album back in the day. Haven't listened to it in years, but what a great and melodic record that is.

24. Jake Z

Regular

Agree 100%.

Also, great call on The Swellers earlier in thread by whoever posted that. I miss that band dearly.

25. The Lucky Moose Jun 19, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 19, 2016)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I think I have something to add here: looking back at some of the older posts in this thread, I think Jason is mostly right when he says that "the bands making pop-punk right now just aren't as good at writing pop songs". I would however like to add to that many of the pop-punk bands that put out the big pop records we all remember usually did not have those songs on their early, lower budget albums. Many of these songs are from albums that came out at a point when these bands had huge major label support behind them (this is the case for New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, Yellowcard and more). Other bands did have those songs on their first albums, but in most cases those bands had a lot of major label support even for their first albums (Sum 41, for example). Major labels are good at helping you make pop songs. Now hardly any pop-punk band has that kind of infrastructure to rely on. I think that is something to consider.

Ivan and Mister Lyrical like this.