Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

What happened to catchy pop punk? • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by TFT87, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Well now I have to find out if my first crush is happy, alive, and well. Thanks a lot Jason

Garrett L. likes this.
  2. TFT87

Regular

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still not really feeling Neck Deep, and I think part of it is similar to what Jason said. These newer pop punk bands are just kinda yelling and it's hard to make melodic pop punk with that vocal style.

I just remembered an interview I saw with Alex Gaskarth. He said that he grew up when bands like FOB and Yellowcard were hugely popular pop punk bands, but that that style of music died down in mainstream popularity as they got bigger, which is why ATL never quite rose to mainstream heights.

I guess the simple answer is that the poppy punk style of music just lost mainstream popularity. I don't know why though.

3. Hahaha. I am sorry, this is what pop-punk does to all of us.

Meerkat likes this.
  4. Meerkat

That song took me straight back to that time haha. She still looks like Carly Rae Jepsen and even has an adult job! Not a bad discovery haha

5. Haha, that's amazing. The girl I was dating when that came out actually texted me over the weekend saying she saw that I was retiring the AP.net logo and wanted a pin because we were dating when I came up with it. And then she made me feel kinda bad because she said I always was on the computer and ignored her when we would hang out after school in high-school. :eh:

6. Meerkat

Yeah it makes me really happy that she seems to be doing well. She was a great friend so I love that she's seemingly at least on the way to the success she always wanted.
    That's actually really sweet except for the last part haha. In the months leading up to me moving it felt like all my exes decided they needed to reach out to me and things got real weird for a minute

7. Without fail. Seems to be how it always goes.

Meerkat likes this.
  8. Meerkat

Speaking of Tooth & Nail, I can't believe Hawk Nelson is still pumping out records

Garrett L. likes this.
  9. I JUST DID THE SAME YOUTUBE SEARCH!!! HAHAHAHAHHA. And there's like neon-dance-jesus-music!

Meerkat likes this.
  10. Meerkat

I just finished listening to that haha. Apparently the song was used for American Idol ads? Also, two more fun facts because I was in love with them: they were Drake Bells' character's band or something in the movie Yours, Mine, & Ours

And they were The Who on American Dreams (speaking of, best show or best show?)

Garrett L. and Jason Tate like this.
  11. CheapPop

Regular

@Jason Tate In response to your post on the previous page, man! I completely forgot about FM Static! Holy shit.

Jason Tate likes this.
  12. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I'm sorry, this isn't a bad song, but I honestly feel like I have heard it thousands of times before, first by New Found Glory with a better singer :-/

13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

That theory definitely makes a lot of sense, especially when you look at FBR at their peak and the surrounding bands, stuff like Cute is What We Aim For, We The Kings, or like Boys Like Girls too that to the extreme and were simply pop acts. There were plenty of scene kids who were turning their back on the pop and yeah, this kind of stuff is definitely a response of sorts.

Those bandcamp links are interesting, the first one isn't really something I enjoy haha, but the second one I definitely get what you are saying, not horrible at all. Don't really like that third one hah

14. nfdv2 Apr 12, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 12, 2016)
    nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

not really a response to the OP, but imo many of the catchiest and best pop punk bands from recent years are buried in the punknews/orgcore niche.

these are all better songs from a pop standpoint than stuff like neck deep/state champs/the story so far. from the 2009-2011 pop punk scene though the swellers were arguably the best. best i ever had could have easily been a pop hit.

DarkHotline, Raku and jmitch0906 like this.
  15. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Been discussed in here earlier, but for me Neck Deep have picked up where NFG/Blink picked up.

Also, it seems like Pop-Punk as a genre has mostly got less poppy (and I like that), but there's not much room for innovation in the genre anyway I think. I think there comes a point where you lose interest in newer pop-punk bands for exactly this reason, you're old enough to have heard pop-punk for 10 years and you're bound to prefer the things you listened to when you were young.

There's a lot of great pop-punk bands out there though, and there are some poppy bands like As It Is that do that whole pop rock side of it very well.

16. cwhit Apr 12, 2016
    cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

@Jason Tate can we just talk latterman and be done with it? What else do you even need

yeah i'm all in on this latterman schtick in here. but seriously, it's shouty, fast, super catchy, cathartic pop punk. seriously all you need!

17. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

@Jason Tate hit the nail on the head here. These bands just can't write catchy songs. Their hooks are okay one song at a time, but they definitely can't write full albums of diverse, catchy songs. I always say about Green Day, they had 10 solid hooks in two songs on American Idiot whereas most bands these days can't get there over the course of one, two, maybe three albums. There definitely is not a Butch Walker in one of these bands, haha

I can't remember the last time a pop punk album made me want to listen more than once. Oh Common Life I guess? But that wasn't really a pop punk record anyway. Last year I maybe listened to three or four albums in the genre and they were all bad. That State Champs record was the same song 11 or 12 times in a row.

KimmyGibbler, Iago and Jose like this.
  18. George

Trusted Prestigious

Muncie Girls are a British female-fronted pop-punk band that recently released an excellent and hook-filled album.

Highly recommended!

My issue with a lot of modern pop-punk bands is that they're too damn American and nasally to enjoy.

ugman_2000 likes this.
  19. Cola.

I was such a looker in the old days Prestigious

Man I loved Broadway Calls!

20. ugman_2000 Apr 12, 2016
    ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Muncie Girls are great, I was gutted I missed them play with Tellison in Guildford the other day.

Here's my shout for a decent catchy punk band. In a just world this band would get picked up by the press like Neck Deep have been. Imagine them sitting down with a decent producer for their debut.

21. cherrywaves

Trusted

Good News Bad Views was an awesome album

In terms of straight up pop-punk I had a soft spot for that last This Time Next Year album. Very reminiscent of Yellowcard and Midtown in spots.

Too many bands are focused on either lifting the shouty Story So Far BS, or a more overwrought style like The Wonder Years.

I still have a soft spot for Mutiny! but a lot of bands that followed in the wake of them/FYS were even worse than the mid-2000's "neon" style

tmski likes this.
  22. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

23. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

Light Years.

Mokena likes this.
  24. Penguin

just let me cry a little bit longer Prestigious

I like Knuckle Puck and all that, but I get that's not really what you're looking for. Maybe you'd like one of these?

Sorry about the wall of embeds, but just pasting the link embeds them, I guess...

25. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I wonder what the rise of electronic music over the past decade and the decline of the popularity of rock music (Though I don't want to come off as a rockist), along with the economics of being in a band drastically changing from when pop-punk was on the rise, has had an effect on the lack of really solid pop-punk?