Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

What Do You Do For Your Job / Living • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by crunchprank, Apr 2, 2016.

1. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Started down that path but abandoned it when I came to the same realization. Are you looking for jobs in a library specifically? What did you specialize in?

2. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

I work for Apple. It's lots of fun.

muttley likes this.
  3. Evolution Kid

I may be going broke, but I'm never broken down. Prestigious

I applied recently for at home chat support and never heard back lol.

4. John Lopiano

Funny you mention that because that position is actually in hyper growth right now, but I heard they're working out some kinks about job responsibilities, pay, etc., so there's a bit of a hiring freeze for it for the time being until they figure it out.

I'm in almost like a sales lead position right now, but I just got promoted to Genius so I'll be moving to that around August when the new store I'm going to opens in New York.

MrSwetz likes this.
  5. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

Said this in the education thread, but I work at a summer camp year round in the outdoor education program teaching 5th graders science, archery and all of that jazz

Neo Cassady likes this.
  6. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

In my younger days I was a barista for Seattle's Best back when Border's existed. I had a lot of fun doing that. As much as I hated customer service, these days I kinda find myself missing that interaction. It gets old staring at a computer screen or endless rows of cold, heartless humming web servers :cringe:

7. Evolution Kid

I may be going broke, but I'm never broken down. Prestigious

Haha interesting. I have a friend up in NY who already works in at home support and said it's been crazy lately but didn't mention that lol.

I also sent my resume to the local apple store for the genius bar but there weren't any current openings when I sent it in. Figured it wouldn't hurt to have it on file.

Works been so slow with the dance company lately I've been trying to branch out with where I apply haha. Something a little more steady would be kinda nice right now.

8. chris

Trusted Supporter

Video news journalist, associate producer being my title. I get quotes and interviews n stuff.

Raku likes this.
  9. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

I'm the volunteer coordinator at an aquarium. The last few winters I've worked as a photographer for research project on mid-Atlantic whale populations and I'm also a freelance graphic designer.

Garrett L. likes this.
  10. joe727 Apr 2, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 2, 2016)
    joe727

A DILAPIDATED BOAT! Prestigious

Research interviewer for a certain very large and well known media and consumer measurement corporation.

I essentially recruit people to take part in and sometimes conduct marketing research studies pertaining to media, particularly television.

11. MrSwetz

***** Prestigious

Previous Creative of three years here, I heard they did away with the position...or the One to One program. Bummer. Apple absolutely skyrocketed my career, I'm now at Technical Trainer for finance firm. I loved working at Apple so so so much.

Broken Parachute likes this.
  12. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

It's awesome learning about jobs I didn't know existed

I'm a social worker/teacher hybrid thing. I consider myself a social worker primarily tho

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  13. Collins

Trusted

Cashier at a grocery store. It pays really well for what it is but it sucks standing all day and at the end of a shift my shoulder and legs hurt like hell. Also, the rudeness of people is really surprising. Working in the service industry is really eye opening.

Hopefully I can get the hell out of it once I graduate.

14. John Lopiano

That's awesome. I'm an Expert right now, making the move to Genius in August. It's been great for me and it'll be awesome for my resume if I ever want to leave at some point.

They did do away with One to One sadly and now Creatives mostly teach workshops and help with Personal Setup. It's been tough on the current teams.

Jason Tate likes this.
  15. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Not sure if you have a Trader Joe's near you, but they pay very well for a grocery store. Benefits I hear are great too. Seems like all the employees get along and just have fun in general. I personally haven't worked there but one of my friends does. He actually left the corporate life for Trader Joe's and continues to say he has no regrets. He's been working there for I guess about 5 or 6 years now. Even with me and plenty of others offering him other opportunities, he always turns them down.

16. Collins

Trusted

It's a Central Market, not sure if you're familiar. It's a higher-end grocery store, although I'd say Trader Joe's is a little nicer. I'd be interested in working there if it was a little closer to my house. I'm definitely keeping it as an option though.

17. alert=danger

Eat The City. Eat It Whole. Prestigious

I'm a manager at a leisure facility. We have a swimming pool, ski slope, climbing wall and a couple of other bits and pieces.
    I have a love hate relationship with my job.

18. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

Marketing. PR, websites, social media, comms etc.

19. holdfasthope

Newbie Prestigious

i am the team lead in the Returns department for the United States subsidy of a luxury German appliance company. I guess it's mostly customer service, they just don't call it that.

20. Wobbie Apr 3, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 3, 2016)
    Wobbie

Sing me a story I haven't heard yet. Prestigious

Which qualification? I work as a Library Technician in a public library. My title is 'Library Technician - Reference', so i'm on the reference desk finding/researching information for people. I love it, you get so many interesting/weird/crazy enquiries. I've become quite good at trivia nights, with all the useless info i've accumulated :-p Plus i get to organise author events, run kids activities, and fun stuff like that.

Have been in Libraries for 10 and a half years now. I was a Library Assistant for 4 years just doing circulation (check in, check out, shelving, etc) and have worked as a Lib Tech for 6 and a half. I don't really want to get my Librarianship and be a Librarian. The management, budgeting, etc, that they have to do is not for me.

21. Laura

Bozo did the dub Prestigious

Of course! I applied to the position I have now through USAJOBS.gov, though honestly I mostly got it through knowing the right people. I worked at an entry-level position at a different DOS facility for a few years as a contractor, but left last year to volunteer full-time on a political campaign. While at my old DOS job, I made friends who are now in management positions at my current facility. So it was a combination of that and having experience doing such similar work that got me a job working directly for State.

The DOS contractor job I got a few years ago was actually really easy to get, though. We have multiple facilities here that are always hiring, and it just requires one year of office experience and the ability to pass the background investigation for a security clearance.

22. MrSwetz

***** Prestigious

Man I would have not enjoyed that change...personal setups were always something I just did not enjoy doing. I can see why they've made the change though, I was transitioning to the Genius role when I left my job. I didn't leave for any other reason than I was offered more money than they could ever match, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I missed Apple every day. I was in my happiest form there. It was so stressful, and customers could be total jerks, but I loved the people I worked with and I was on my feet all day - that was awesome. And DAMN do I miss the discount!

Broken Parachute likes this.
  23. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I'm a reporter and an editorial assistant for a small newspaper (circulation of about 20,000 a week).

24. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

non-profit development. I organize and plan various fundraising events responsible for millions on donated funds... I love it.

25. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

I'm a QA tester for a mid-sized software company, hoping to eventually move into a more development-centric testing role in the future.

Also trying to make my first big career move and recently applied to an awesome looking company. Nervous as hell.

MrSwetz likes this.