Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

What Are the Rules of Social Distancing?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Leslie Goldman, writing at Vox:

The closures are a way to enforce social distancing, a crucially important public health intervention that can help stop coronavirus transmission by avoiding crowds and large gatherings such as weddings, concerts, conferences, sporting events, and mass transit. Best practice requires maintaining at least a six-foot distance between yourself and others.

You may have already come into contact with an infected person — the woman who rode the bike before you at SoulCycle, the kindly fellow who coughed while standing next to you in line at Costco, or someone who touched your mail as it made its way to your mailbox. (At least one study estimates that about 25 percent of transmissions of coronavirus may have occurred in pre-symptomatic stages — meaning it may be spread by people who don’t yet know they have the virus.)

Things are really weird right now. Waking up to the various news headlines on my phone feels impossibly surreal. We’re still trying to figure out everything and what our lives are going to look like going forward. Hannah’s currently in our kitchen doing violin lessons over Skype and I’ve got beach sounds going through my headphones to block out the world and get some work done. I thought this article did a good job walking through how and what our responsibilities and lives should look like going forward in the short to medium term.

Stay safe out there, and wash your damn hands.

justin. likes this.
  2. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Very good article. As of this weekend I still saw many people going about as if everything was normal. Like the article says even if you are young and healthy you should still limit your contact with others because even though you may feel fine, you could be spreading the virus to the older members of the community. Please think of others and we can slow this virus.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  3. In France, everything is unclear and it pisses me off. "Limit your contacts to no more than 5 people per day" yet I'm still supposed to go to work. The government is taking half-measures :/

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  4. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Same here in FL. There was literally a sign on the door yesterday that I saw on the way out that said "Don't enter the building if you've been in a room with 50+ people in the last two weeks. The building I was walking out of/work in holds like 1000 people.

Then when I came to work this morning the sign was pulled off of the door :crylaugh: What the fuck is going on?

5. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

This is what the entire rest of the country thinks about Florida in general...

6. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Haha I am well aware.

CyberInferno and Kingjohn_654 like this.