Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

What are some of your favorite album runs?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cody, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

One could argue Radiohead is 9 for 9 (let’s be real, my phone just auto-capitalized them for me). Who else has nailed it for multiple records straight and why do you think?

2. Lucas27

Trusted

At the top of my head:

As Cities Burn - All three records

Bon Iver - All three records

Mew - Frengers, Glass Handed Kites, No More Stories (maybe my favorite run of albums)

Relient K - MMHMM, Five Score, Forget (If Air For Free came right after Forget that would’ve been unreal)

Underoath - Define, Lost in the Sound, Disambiguation

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  3. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Reliant K really hasn’t missed in a minute. Five Score got a little too cutesy for my taste and lost a tiny amount of charm, but Forget is pretty error free and the later career ambition of Air for Free really worked a lot more than I figured it would. Not an overstuffed album somehow

4. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Tigers Jaw is super consistent imo.

but Moving Mountains takes the cake for me. Damn near flawless discography.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

when I think of consistency it is impossible not to think of Stephen Malkmus, from Pavement onward. perfect album run? nah, but incredibly consistent with periods of incredible peaks. why: I think being outside popular indie tastemaking zeitgeist (post Wowee Zowee) allows him to make music that keeps incorporating new influences while refining the things that make him unique as a songwriter. it's vast influences refracted by the familiar.

Cursive and Thursday are also the other bands where I think they have a rock solid discography. I understand the criticisms people have with some of their albums but I don't rly agree, especially in regards to Cursive. both bands are interesting bc their consistency is driven by strong ideas more than anything. each album is a strong statement of intent and the songs reflect whatever those ideas are -- in Cursive's case, as the ideas got more complex, so did the arrangements and songwriting. in Thursday's case, as Geoff stepped out of the ego convention of the time to examine more humanistic ideas, the music also got more expansive and atmospheric. then there's the underlying tension between their popularity, Geoff's desire to subvert it by becoming more aggressive and the rest of the bands desire to simply develop a broader sonic/melodic palette. tension tends to lead to something greater than the sum of it's parts among people who understand each other imo. the Beatles are like the case study for that

Hop Along. a strong songwriter joining other strong songwriters and learning to play off each other's strengths in that department while adding to the songwriting their own chemistry as a band as they continued to gel and mesh more efficiently through experience. probably the most thought out and collaborative set from the ones I mentioned.

this is fun

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Arcade Fire- Funeral, Neon Bible

R.E.M.- Document, Green, Out Of Time, Automatic For The People

Elvis Costello- My Aim Is True, This Year's Model

I feel like going with someone like The Beatles or The Stones or Bob Dylan is too obvious

Mary V likes this.
  7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

nah, not if it's one of your favorite runs

like it'd be fairly obvious to throw out the National (a solid four or five album run) or like. Fugazi, Sleater-Kinney, Dinosaur Jr (bands with no bad albums) but I think it's worth examining the obvious. why do these records resonate with us and continue to find new audiences?

I didn't mean to lecture Ian but I typed all that and I won't delete it

also Frank Ocean will never put out anything bad. Kanye just ended a really impressive run

8. Joel Gustafson

A glass can only spill what it contains

Anberlin - Never Take Friendship Personal, Cities, New Surrender, DITWLIAP, Vital/Devotion

Underoath - They're Only Chasing Safety, Define the Great Line, Lost in the Sound of Separation

I'll second the Relient K run.

Copeland - all

Thrice - Vheissu, The Alchemy Index, Beggars, Major/Minor, TBEITBN

9. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Taylor Swift - Speak Now, Red, 1989, Reputation
    Beyoncé - 4, Beyoncé, Lemonade
    Ellie Goulding - Lights, Halcyon, Delirium
    mewithoutYou - AB Life, Catch For Us The Foxes, Brother Sister

10. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I'll be that guy though!

Stones - Beggars Banquet/Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers/Exile on Main St

Hendrix - Experienced/Axis/Electric Ladyland

U2 - War/Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree (but if you wanted to October or Achtung Baby I wouldn't complain)

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  11. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

father john misty has had a p incredible run with his last 4

12. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

lana del rey - ultraviolence, honeymoon, lust for life

charli xcx - vroom vroom ep, number 1 angel, pop 2

kendrick lamar - good kid maad city, to pimp a butterfly, damn.

jimmy eat world - bleed american, futures, chase this light

Kuri44 likes this.
  13. web250

I'll change this eventually Prestigious

To me it's gotta be a 3 album run, minimum to count. Suburbs I'd include in this. Anything after...not so much.

The Menzingers: On the Impossible Past / Rented World / After the Party (RW the weakest, but still a good record)
    Every Time I Die have never put out a bad record (excluding their first)
    The National: Boxer / High Violet...then you can book-end with Alligator and/or Trouble Will Find Me, depending on your taste
    Converge: Jane Doe / You Fail Me / No Heroes (again, you could pick every post-JD record, but I think Axe to Fall breaks the streak)
    Deftones: Around The Fur / White Pony / s/t
    The Wonder Years: Upsides / Suburbs / TGG
    Touche Amore: PTTS / Is Survived / Stage Four
    Joyce Manor: last three albums
    Beach House: Teen Dream / Bloom / Depression Cherry. (Would have been 4 with "7" except Thank Your Lucky Stars is subpar"

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  14. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

The National is pretty spot on: Alligator, Boxer, High Violet, Trouble Will Find Me, Sleep Well Beast

Health as well: Health, Get Color, Max Payne 3 soundtrack, Death Magic

Relient K had a long stretch for me: Anatomy, Two Lefts, Mmhmm, Five Scores, Forget

Joy Electric legacy series is perfect: White Songbook, Tick Tock Treasury, Hello Mannequin, Ministry of Archers, Otherly Opus, My Grandfather the Cubist, Dwarf Mountain Alphabet

15. GoingInDry

Hit a lick

Metallica - Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, And Justice for All, Black Album

16. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

I've loved every single The Devil Wears Prada album with the exception of the Space EP. So I guess Dear Love - 8:18 would be the "run". I did love Transit Blues, though.

Let's see what else...

Every Time I Die - all albums
    Underoath - all albums (yes, including Erase Me and their old death metal/deathcore albums)
    Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American, Futures, Chase This Light, Invented, Damage
    The 1975 - all
    August Burns Red- all
    Blessthefall - all
    Architects - everything from Daybreaker onward
    Bring Me The Horizon - Suicide Season and onward
    Drop Dead, Gorgeous - all
    Moving Mountains - all

sickfromthemirror likes this.
  17. KeynDooee

Living Legend

Neil Young. Ten years.

18. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Circa Survive - All of them, but especially Juturna/OLG/BSN
    The National - Boxer-SWB
    Hop Along - All
    The Hotelier - All
    JEW - Clarity - Integrity Blues
    The Menzingers - OTIP - ATP
    Paramore - Riot! - AL
    Pianos - TLLA - Wait For Love

19. sickfromthemirror Jul 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2018)
    sickfromthemirror

512VSXE

underOATH : Act of Depression, Cries of the Past, The Changing of Times
    The Weakerthans : all four studio albums are flawless
    Between the Buried and Me : strong bias towards the first 3 albums, but every single record is 10/10
    The Cure : Three Imaginary Boys thru til (and including) Wish is 10/10 flawless
    not a consecutive run, but all the Jan Garbarek records with the Hilliard Ensemble choir backing him
    Tomasz Stanko New York Quartet : both 10/10 albums
    The Faceless : first three
    UGK : Too Hard To Swallow, Super Tight..., Ridin' Dirty
    all Undying releases
    all Animosity albums
    the lone Morose (2010) record
    all Alcest records
    Hiroshi Yoshimura : Music For Nine Postcards, Pier & Loft, A*I*R, Green
    Discordance Axis discography
    From First To Last : both Sonny albums
    Have Heart discography
    AFI : Shut Your Mouth, AFI EP, Black Sails, Halloween EP, Art of Drowning, Sing the Sorrow
    Anathema : The Silent Enigma and on, every flawless album. first album is good too, just prefer Vincent on vox

edit: oh yeah every George Strait record

20. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Ramones, Leave Home, Rocket to Russia, Road to Ruin I could go on personally.

Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master of Reality

21. GBlades

Trusted

This is pretty biased but
    Say Anything - ...Is A Real Boy > ...In Defense Of The Genre is a pretty badass run.

22. Kuri44

Fall Out Boy - FUCT - SRAR
    blink-182 - Dude Ranch - Untitled
    Midtown - All
    Vampire Weekend - All
    Arctic Monkeys - WPSIA,TWIN - Humbug
    Motion City Soundtrack - CTTM - MDL
    NFG - S/T - Catalyst
    P!ATD - AFYCSW — V&V
    Saves The Day - Through Being Cool - In Reverie
    The Front Bottoms - Talon of the hawk - Going Grey

popdisaster00 and GBlades like this.
  23. atlas

Trusted

Rise Against's Revolutions Per Minute-Siren Song-Sufferer and the Witness stretch is unfuckwithable

24. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Thursday - like their entire catalog

Jimmy Eat world - Bleed American, Futures, Chase This Light, Invented, Damage, Integrity Blues

Taylor Swift - taylor swift, fearless, speak now, red

Beyonce - 4, beyonce, lemonade

Shakira - entire catalog up until Sale el Sol

Christina Aguilera - stripped, back to basics, bionic. Dont even @ me!

Garrett L. and ChiliTacos like this.
  25. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

New Found Glory - S/T, Sticks & Stones, Catalyst
    Thrice - Illusion Of Safety, Artist In The Ambulance, Vheissu
    Coheed & Cambria - Second Stage Turbine Blade, In Keeping Secrets, Good Apollo

And though it's early still, The Sidekicks have released three great ones in a row (Awkward Breeds, Runners In The Nerved World, Happiness Hours).