Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Westworld (HBO) TV Show • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Apr 10, 2016.

1. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

my problem with that is if he is intended to be a guest, how do the creators/behind the scenes people/whatever not know he is there and why does he need to scalp hosts to find symbols in order to track them down

im guessing he's more of a robot that found a loophole around being able to be shot by the other robots

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

They also told us in the lead-up that James Marsden was playing a guest to the park, didn't they? And we saw how that turned out. So I definitely agree that we can't really trust anything we've been told about the show thus far. Which is damn exciting, in my opinion.

coleslawed likes this.
  3. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

Previews for next week's episode look cray:

Erwin89 likes this.
  4. Premiere was strong. Love everything that's been set up, now to see if they can deliver. I think Evan Rachel Wood is giving a really interesting and great performance. Ed Harris is really good at being Ed Harris. One moment that stuck out was the Delos woman kissing the robot. It works as a sort of creepy, one-off moment , but I wonder if the show will come back to it.

j mel likes this.
  5. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Yeah that definitely caught me off guard as well.

Can someone help explain how the whole thing works exactly? Like how are they able to view the world at various optical rates? At first I thought that the humans (guests) were just asleep, but then I realized you could actually die in Westworld. For instance we saw that same Delos woman in the world at the end of the episode.

Jeffrey Wright is going to be the key to this entire series I believe. I believe he has some mischievous motives. Wonder what he was whispering to ERW father who was about to be discontinued.

So many questions that I'm hoping will be answered in time.

6. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

it's been one episode i don't think anyone has the information to explain that yet for obvious reasons

coleslawed likes this.
  7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Yeah.

Can we set a precedent in here to spoiler anything that people might already know from the source material/movie?

imthesheriff and Joe like this.
  8. Anthony_ Oct 3, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 3, 2016)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I don't know if this is a spoiler, as it's just the set-up for the film which you learn in the first minutes of it, but I'll black it out anyway:

So, the way the park works in the movie is that it is actually called "Delos," not "West World." Delos is split into three distinct "worlds:" Medieval World, Roman World, and West World. These three worlds actually border each other in what is essentially a gigantic, sprawling complex that can be accessed from a single hub location. The guests pay to spend time in Medieval England, ancient Rome, or the American West, and they are only booked to go to the specific world they pay for. The whole thing is then overseen by the Delos corporation workers from their control center. In the film, every night, Delos workers would descend upon the parks in order to pick up all the hosts that were killed or damaged in any way, bring them back to the workshop, patch them up, and then bring them back to their respective worlds to start the next day. There was also a network of underground tunnels in the film that could be used to traverse the three parks unseen. So, basically, if this is following the same general idea, the park is accessible from the Delos control center and the woman who kissed the host is one of the Delos employees tasked with going into the parks to investigate malfunctions. The thing they are using to view the various areas of the park is basically just a futuristic security camera.

j mel and airik625 like this.
  9. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

So on board after this premiere

10. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

And Paint it Black lol.

Really enjoyed the premiere though. Ex Machina really piqued my interest into this genre.

j mel likes this.
  11. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Okay yeah so I'm not crazy haha they totally did say everywhere that thats who he was playing. The whole time I was watching I was so fuggin confused about that,

12. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

I'm not at all familiar with the source material, and I have no idea where the hell this is going, but that was quite the pilot. I will always see what Anthony Hopkins is up to.

13. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

one piano version of a pop song is too much ugh. I remember The Leftovers kept using a piano version of "where is my mind" and it always made me cringe. maybe it's just an hbo thing lol

but it pissed me off more in this show because they kept saying "complete immersion", how does that not completely contradict that? it didn't add anything to the scene other than it being a "spooky" songs the kids love.

14. irthesteve

Whatever, I like the idea of the piano playing "western"/"piano" versions of modern songs in the context of the show. Gives a sense of familiarity to the participants when they are immersed in the world. If this is in the future, then the rock songs themselves are extremely old, so it's not like they are current to them

coleslawed likes this.
  15. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I loved the Paint it Black cover and the Where is my Mind when it was used on The Leftovers and Mr. Robot. I don't remember the Black Hole Sun cover, what scene was that?

16. irthesteve

Where Is My Mind was so great in The Leftovers, because it was different versions of the melody being used at different times for specific reasons, thematically was really powerful

17. angel paste

I have no problem with recycling melodies in that way, it's just "where is my mind" is just a super tacky choice imo, like we get it the guy is struggling with sanity do we really need the most obvious song for that?

you can make the argument that the songs are old in this world, I can see that maybe, but are we really going to pretend that that's the reason those songs are there?

film/tv composers aren't really getting a chance to shine because they keep giving crucial thematic elements to recycled material that panders to its audience.

18. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

The Black Hole Sun cover was kinda unnecessary, but I thought the Paint It Black part was straight up awesome.

19. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Hannibal's scoring was consistently amazing. If you haven't watched that show, check it out.

20. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

When?! I don't want to skim the whole episode to find the Black Hole Sun part. I agree about Paint it Black. That was awesome.

21. angel paste

yeah but the rest of the show was whack lol

better call saul/breaking bad always had amazing music. Fargo also did.

22. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

S3 was too weird for the masses. I miss that show ha

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  23. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Isn't the same composer for Game of Thrones also creating the music for this show?

24. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Is this intended to be an ongoing series, or is it more of a mini-series, 10 episodes and done?

25. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Yes, same composer.

And I heard somewhere that Nolan has 5 seasons mapped out so I don't think it will be a one and done limited series.