Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weezer Band • Page 10

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bd007h, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

So the weirdest thing about weezer to me is that despite being like a disciple of 90s rock radio as a child, I never heard of Weezer until 2001 when they announced green. My friend played me Buddy Holly and Undone to get me hyped that they were making a comeback, and to my knowledge I had never heard either song before.

And then my cousin gave me the blue album for my birthday that year and despite heavy pressure from the National and Radiohead in high school it wouldn't be until Raditude til I finally admitted to myself they weren't my favorite band anymore.

truelovewaits likes this.
  2. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

That's my path to Weezer as well! I was obsessed with 90's rock too!

bd007h and Surfwax like this.
  3. Surfwax

The absolute funniest thing about being born in the 80s/a child of the 90s to me is that I was fucking obsessed with Champagne Supernova in elementary school and didn't know who the f it was by until the 2000s when I discovered how valuable typing song lyrics into google could be

4. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

My parents loved Oasis so they had the actual CD. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have known

Surfwax likes this.
  5. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'll never forget being 11 years-old and sitting in my 6th grade classroom and the teacher turned on the radio and Buddy Holly was on and he asked the class if anyone knew what song it was. I was the only kid who knew what it was. I felt like the coolest kid in class.

6. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

bd007h likes this.
  7. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

Cool stories.. not as cool as mine tho! :crylaugh:

Fell in love with Weezer back in 1997 (Pinkerton Era)
    I was a pop-punk/ska-punk teenage kid back then (I was following all the Epitaph/Fat Wreck bands)

Weezer was nothing like this BUT it's the only band that I still listen to this day on a weekly basis! Never stopped! Not even in their darkest days (Red/Rad).

Eventually I grew out of pop-punk/ska-punk and my taste went from Garage rockers The Strokes to piano-pop-rockers KEANE, from stoner rockers Queens of the Stone Age to synth rockers The Killers.. I even had a 2 year Beach Boys phase but Weezer was/still is my all time feel-good band. The only band that I have 4 playlists dedicated to them in Spotify

"Feel good Ones" (my usual summer list)
    "Depressing Ones" (my fav. serious, dark and whiny Cuomo is what live for)
    "Underrated Ones" ("Hold Me" and "Run Away" are sooo fkin underrated)
    "Essentials" (this list is pretty handy when I want to get someone into Weezer)

So I came to the point to realize that Weezer is my absolute favorite band :heart:

8. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I first discovered them through the Pork and Beans video and the later through the If You're Wondering video. Saw them for free at a fair without really knowing them and then Hurley came out like 2 weeks later. I played that album and was like "wtf is this shit, this doesn't compare to the songs they played live" and I looked up my favorite song from the show which was El Scorcho, leading me to one of my favorite albums of all time

knstadin and JRGComedy like this.
  9. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

My friend Marc Mason showed me the Blue Album when we were 11, and I swear to dog I thought they were just a band of cigarette smokers hahaha

knstadin likes this.
  10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I don't remember how I got into them, probably Green Album era when I was 13

knstadin likes this.
  11. PatRFinley

Early Onset Grump LFGM Supporter

My Name is Jonas in Guitar Hero 3 and Say It Aint So and Buddy Holly in the first Rock Band game. Then I went to the library and got anything Weezer I could find.

knstadin likes this.
  12. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Beverly Hills made me buy Make Believe, which I hated, then Pork & Beans made me buy Red and get into the band's discography.

knstadin likes this.
  13. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

and you discovered the legendary first two albums "Blue" and "Pink".. what was like coming from Make Believe era? Current fav. Weezer album?

14. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

It was a breath of fresh air. Pinkerton was my favorite for quite a while, but Blue has recently usurped it!

knstadin likes this.
  15. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

As legendary as Blue and Pinkerton are, I will forever be indebted to The Green album and Maladroit. Top 2 for me.

16. Surfwax

I think I'd pay in the ballpark of $1000 for everything Rivers/the band recorded between 1992 and 2000. I'm guessing we have well over half of the good stuff, but there is undoubtably a good chunk of gems still tucked on a hard drive somewhere.

I NEED the rest of the Homie/Rivers Cuomo Band demos, the two on Alone 2 are such a tease.

17. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

First Weezer song I heard was a cover of Say It Ain’t So done by a couple counselors at a vaguely churchy summer camp I went to when I was 10. It was weird.

knstadin likes this.
  18. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I was in high school when Blue and Pinkerton came out. Would've been hard to not hear about them since it was Rivers' high school haha.

Would still both be top ten albums for me, but it was definitely cooler knowing I was walking the same halls

19. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

I definitely heard Buddy Holly quite a bit in 1994, but Green Day was only rock obsession at that time. I would hear Say it Ain't So, Buddy Holly, and Sweater Song often on alternative radio throughout middle and high school, I didn't give much attention to Weezer until Hash Pipe came out, and then I went back and gave the first 2 a proper run through.

knstadin likes this.
  20. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

There's no way I'm the only person that read this as Marc Maron

kbeef2, smoke4thecaper, Zilla and 2 others like this.
  21. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Beverly hills was my intro and then I heard them on rock band and couldn't even believe it was the same band and I guess the rest is history

knstadin likes this.
  22. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

I did the same.

tdlyon likes this.
  23. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Fuck El Scorcho might be their best song

Collins likes this.
  24. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

New song is very poppy like the rest have been but super catchy

25. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Wish I had this new album for summertime.