Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weezer - Pacific Daydream (October 27, 2017) Album • Page 32

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Mar 15, 2017.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2. God bless Rivers tbh

there's something just as loveable about this band's failures as there is their successes. how they manage to stay relevant while rock music is essentially dead, I'll never know, but they never seem afraid to try new things and goddamnit do I respect that

3. Aaron Mook Nov 15, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 15, 2017)

Surprised they did this considering P4k panned Pacific Daydream and four more of their records, haha.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and solxace like this.
  4. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Over/Under is great, I think this is the first time I've ever seen a non-rapper do it though

solxace likes this.
  5. This has really grown on me over the past couple weeks. I kind of have this personal theory that even though Make Believe was critically panned at the time of release, there's a pretty large group of younger Weezer fans whose first exposure to the band was likely that album/"Beverly Hills" (myself included), so this generation of fans naturally have a soft spot for the album. And it's finally coming back around as...not a "Pinkerton" cult classic, obviously, but more of a tongue-in-cheek, ironic cult classic? Like a B-movie with horrible dialogue and some genuinely fun sequences. In a lot of ways, this album feels like the ultimate balancing act: an experimental pop record and a lunge toward radioplay, just like Make Believe.

Like that album, this one has some stinkers, but this (and Make Believe) are exactly the kind of questionable Weezer albums I want to have around. The "bad" tracks never reach "Love is the Answer" or "Everybody Gets Dangerous" territory. "Happy Hour" inadvertantly represents the entire album; it's a bonafide jam, and even though it's fucking silly, I can't help but smile everytime I hear the line about "sucking on limes and coconut" with like a fucking four-part harmony on the word "coconut." All this to say, sometimes, I want a "Feels Like Summer" rather than an "El Scorcho." I'm really glad this album exists.

for the love of god, someone start a weezer podcast with me

Owlex, wearethedead, Drewski and 5 others like this.
  6. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I'll talk Weezer with ya @Aaron Mook

Also while this will never be my favorite album of theirs I genuinely don't think it has a single bad song on it. I like them all. Some more than others but yeah a very great release over all, and one of my favorite albums of theirs

7. give me till christmas to raise the funds for a decent mic and you might actually hear back from me

solxace and ComedownMachine like this.
  8. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Is the next album coming in May, or did I just dream that?

9. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Yeah I don't have any stinkers on this album. 2 through 4 are the only ones I don't love but I definitely don't dislike them.

10. Aaron Mook Nov 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 24, 2017)
    Weaker tracks are still 8 through 10 for me. But they're still enjoyable

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  11. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Yup album still holds up great for me. Jammed to it yesterday. Definitely an 8/10 for me too.

solxace likes this.
  12. Whoops, meant that those were the weaker tracks imo, edited my post haha

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  13. slimfenix182

I can solidly say that Any Friend Of Diane's is my favorite Weezer song since Maladroit for sure

solxace likes this.
  14. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Rivers did say that in an interview promoting this album but I'd take it with a grain of salt for now, it was very offhand and I think he said he still has a lot of work to do

I might be making that last part up though

solxace and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  15. duritzfan13

all we have is time

Saw a really great YouTube comment along the lines of: "How many times does Weezer have to release something that 'doesn't sound like weezer' until people finally change their perception of what Weezer sounds like?"

That comment literally sums it all up for me. If half their discography "doesn't sound like Weezer..." then maybe.... it DOES sound like Weezer?

Love this album a lot.

16. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Honestly only song I can’t majorly get into is Sweet Mary. Every other song on this album jams. I love it.

Also, Make Believe is/has been my 3rd or 4th favorite Weezer album (its harshly underrated) and I got into the band when Blue came out.

17. manoverboard365

Trusted

I love Weezer, but I just cannot get into this album. Mexican Fender and Happy Hour are the only songs I'd consider coming back to. Shame too cuz I loved White and EWBAITE.

18. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

While I do think this is a step down from White (my AOTY last year) and EWBAITE, this still has plenty of fun songs that I keep going back to. This late career renaissance has been really fun to watch and has managed to lift up the weaker parts of the discography.

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

20. so this is officially now the Rivere Cuomo Twitter thread, yeah

Owlex and irthesteve like this.
  21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  22. dotKev

@dotkevin

Surprised about the lack of love for this album. I've never been a huge Weezer fan, but I feel Pacific Daydream has easily been their most accessible and memorable.

Beach Boys, Any Friend of Diane's, Sweet Mary, and La Mancha Screwjob are all stand-outs for me. All in all, a very thorough and fun album.

duritzfan13 likes this.
  23. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I love it

24. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

It's a completely mid-tier Weezer album, so it's fun and enjoyable

Owlex, Drewski and Aaron Mook like this.
  25. slimfenix182

Another vote for loving it