Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weezer - OK Human (January 29, 2021) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Jan 13, 2021.

1. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Wind In Our Sail def the best on White. Summer Elaine second.

bd007h likes this.
  2. Don't forget about "L.A. Girlz"

Jim and JRGComedy like this.
  3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

This and Girl We Got a Good Thing are my two favs

Aaron Mook likes this.
  4. tomdelonge

Trusted

My interpreration is that the song is about objectification, which I think Rivers’ annotations support (“alright kids, let’s play with some gender stereotypes”).

Verse 1 touches on contemporary cultural objectifications, likening bro hangs to fantasy tropes about the heroic masculinity, which to me is the stain of stuff like Star Wars, og D&D campaigns, video game narratives, fairy tales about rescuing princesses from dragons, love song cliches etc. Hundreds of years of culture where the man is the active hero and the woman is the passive healer. And I think not coincidentally narratives that run through a lot of “classic weez”. Which I think is further supported by the integration of lyrics written in 1997 for Verse 2:

I’m so glad I got a girl to think of
    Even though she isn’t mine
    I think about her all the day and all the night*
    It’s enough to know she’s alive

*“all the day and all the night” is a really opportune Kinks reference. A band who has a lotta songs about gender stereotypes, and were a major influence on the most aggressively objectifying trends of rock n roll

Verse 2 is gnarly. I think it’s about the abstract “female” that invades gender stereotypes. It’s about real life vs the illusion of ideal love, and the theater of “courtship.” And probably a lot of other stuff too.

The Chorus and Verse 3 seem to me to be drawing a line from the rock n roll/nerd culture gender stereotypes to deeper seated religious roots of these issues in places like the Adam and Eve origin story and Christian notions of the paternal God.

This song is insane. The more I think about it, the more I think it’s one of his best lyrics.

5. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I always took it as him completely making fun of guys trying to be macho

bd007h likes this.
  6. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

big fat canoli

Drewski, Rowan5215, bd007h and 2 others like this.
  7. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I’m not sure that even in the least generous reading of ‘Thank God For Girls,’ that it makes the top 25 of ‘Worst Sentiments About Women in Weezer Songs’ list. Rivers has written songs like that since 1994. But yeah, I’ve been cringing at certain lines for two decades and that’s not a song I ever took that way.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  8. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I will say this about the White Album: I struggle understanding how it’s so embraced and Pacific Daydream is seemingly universally panned (and, actually, the Black Album too). One hallmark of Weezer records is how dramatically they change their sound with each album - Blue and Pinkerton sound like a light side and dark side of coin, and then you have crazy poppy Green, hair metal inspired Maladroit, arena anthem Make Believe, purposely eclectic and non-cohesive Red, whatever the heck Raditude was, and then there’s Hurley. They then tried a ‘return to form’ with EWBAITE. It’s super obvious that each album is supposed to be its own thing, apart and separate from the rest.

Then, there was White. To me, it’s a blend/marriage of Green and Blue; the rockier parts sound like that era, but it’s also incredibly poppy, maybe more than any other album. PD is, in my mind, the first time the band said, ‘let’s just make another one of those.’ And then they basically did the same with Black. Sonically and thematically, they’re cohesive in a way that nothing had been before. You could shuffle those songs and hand it to a non-Weezer fan and they’d buy that those are all from the same project. To me, those three records are essentially a trilogy of sameness, and a break before Weezer gets back to their radically different stuff (the Van Weezer and OK Human).

Or maybe I’m insane and this is all in my head. But it sure seems like that to me.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  9. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I completely agree that White, Pacific and Black are all basically the same era whereas every other album feels very specific

10. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I made it to Raditude in my album listening party. I do think If You’re Wondering is one of their best songs haha. Album sucks though.

Surfwax likes this.
  11. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

red album, raditude and hurley feel more akin to me than white, black and PD

Surfwax, Anthony_ and dylan like this.
  12. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

I feel like PD definitely shares some DNA with White and Black definitely shares some DNA with PD. But that's pretty much it.

13. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

14. bd007h

I love that song haha

JRGComedy likes this.
  15. bd007h

Jacked Up has some of if not the best falsetto in Rivers history.

16. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I also like Jacked Up

Surfwax likes this.
  17. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Jacked Up rules

Surfwax, Nick Jagger and bd007h like this.
  18. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Jacked Up is indeed good

Surfwax, Nick Jagger and bd007h like this.
  19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

So is this "Van Weezer"?

20. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

jacked up has an annoyingly jangly piano that ruins the entire song for me. it's grating

21. bd007h

Whaaaaaaaat I love the jangly piano

22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I'll say the bridge in Jacked Up could be stronger, but my least fav on White is pretty handily Thank God 4 Grls

Nick Jagger likes this.
  23. bd007h

I love Patrick's drumming on the song too.

24. It just sounds more indie-pop than the rest of the guitar-heavy record. I think Fitz and the Tantrums did the remix, which makes complete sense. Just doesn't fit the record for me

25. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

you missed the point of the song by about ten football fields lol, wow

also "Jacked Up", indeed, rules