Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weezer’s ‘Pinkerton’ Goes Platinum • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 20, 2016.

1. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I'd go with 'painfully and awkwardly self-conscious rock' myself lol. Weezer is the godfather of the sort of song that, at the same time, is self-deprecating and triumphant. And I think that part of the issue with their waning popularity in the 2000s is that the term 'nerd' stopped meaning what it meant in the 90s. In the 90s, it meant 'socially awkward dude you don't want to hang out with.' In the 2000s, it became 'person with non-mainstream interests that is cool for being uncool.' Weezer will never be the latter; they're always the former. So when people said their music in the 2000s was lame, I always wanted to laugh and say, 'yeah - it's Weezer. They've always been lame. That's who they are.'

At any rate, whatever you think Weezer is, I think Motion City Soundtrack perfected the art of it, building off what Weezer had done before.

2. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

I dont know Motion City, except by name here.... but I always looked at Weezer and thought 'A bunch of goofs just plaing music' living in their moms basement.

Meanwhile - Buddy Holly opened up Windows 95.

AshlandATeam and Mr. Serotonin like this.