Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weekly Poll: Favorite The Mars Volta Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Henry, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

I really love the first four records, but De-Loused feels like it has an overall sense of focus that just isn’t nearly as present on the others. I know that’s not really a priority for TMV albums, but it is the reason I enjoy that one most.

christsizedshoes and OotyPa like this.
  2. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Yeah the drumming on Bedlam is insane.

3. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Frances followed closely by De-Loused. And I mean real closely.

4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I've never found their albums to be something I can listen to very often, but I've listened to Bedlam twice in 24 hours. This thing goes hard.

coleslawed and irthesteve like this.
  5. Orla

Thomas Pridgen is the drummer that suited their music best, imo.

6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

ehhhh, it’s jon for me, but splitting hairs

recall reality, Orla and DarkHotline like this.
  7. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Yeah, Jon’s bombastic playing style really suited that band best imo. But dude didn’t want to play live or tour so out he went.

phaynes12 likes this.
  8. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Wait really?

9. DarkHotline

Yep, that’s why Omar fired him before they toured on Amputechture.

10. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I really like all the drummers they have had to be honest, each one brings something different but they all are beasts on the kit

coleslawed, Orla and Cameron like this.
  11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I was curious to see how many albums Omar has put out... 49. Guy is a maniac.

12. irthesteve

yeah, I've listened to every single one of them.... lol.

But honestly, there's some really great stuff in there. If anyone wants suggestions of a few great albums from him, I can help

amorningofsleep and Henry like this.
  13. DarkHotline

He says he has like tons more that he’s kept to himself, just unreal

14. TomG

Trusted Supporter

I’d appreciate it. It’s overwhelming looking at it. Obviously Mars Volta and ATDI I know, but outside of that I’ve only listened to Cryptomnesia by el grupo Nuevo De Omar Rodriguez Lopez

15. irthesteve

Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo (2007) is definitely the one to start with, Cedric sings on 3 of the tracks, other TMV members are featured, it really feels like another TMV album with more instrumental segments than usual.

The Apocalypse Inside Of An Orange (2007) is really solid as well, some of the coolest musical jams from him are on this album

Old Money (2008) this was at one point hinted at being the follow up album to Amputechture before they shifted gears to making Bedlam, and you can really tell there are TMV vibes throughout.

Cryptomnesia (2009) you already mentioned, great album.

Xenophanes (2009) is a phenomenal album, and honestly sounds like "if Omar sang for The Mars Volta," highly recommended. Rumor is that Thomas Pridgen thought he was working on a TMV album when he was recording this album.

there's maybe two others I would reccomend after that, then then rest get pretty spotty. The fact that all the ones I listed are from 2007-2009 really shows that Omar/the band were in the prime of their musical lives

16. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

1. Deloused
    2. Frances
    3. Bedlam
    4. Noctourniquet
    5. Amp
    6. Octahedron

but goddammit they’re all incredible

17. irthesteve

I'd only swap Noc and Amp, but that general breakdown is pretty much it

18. phaynes12

and ended up playing live and touring with ... a much bigger band that tours much more often haha

Orla likes this.
  19. Orla

Shout-out to Ikey Owens too for joining Jack White's band after getting the boot.

coleslawed and irthesteve like this.
  20. phaynes12

RIP

Orla likes this.
  21. irthesteve

RIP to Ikey :heart:

Orla likes this.
  22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Oct is a snooze fest

23. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

yeah, that's my least favourite by far. "Cotopaxi" slaps though and they brought that energy to Noctourniquet, which was a huge bounce back

Orla and irthesteve like this.
  24. MathiasGeleyn

Regular

I've been listening to Amputecture this morning and damn, I almost forgot how insane that record is.

Cameron, Moe165, irthesteve and 2 others like this.
  25. deflector

formerly pizzatime

I voted Deloused, but I also think it's over-produced. Rick Rubin neutered Roulette Dares and Cicatriz. If you listen to the live shows from around that time when they played the album in full you get a better sense of their scope.

Frances is maybe the better album, but I just don't dig "The Widow" and "Miranda" at all.

Like the above poster said, Amputecture is literally insane. A mixed bag.

Bedlam never clicked with me - something about Cedric's voice on this recording just isn't appealing to me.

Octahedron and Noctourniquet are both solid attempts at moving the band in a more psych direction.

Lastly: Jon was the best drummer

OotyPa and Orla like this.