Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weekly Poll: Favorite The Hold Steady Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Henry, Feb 4, 2021.

?

???

1. Almost Killed Me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Separation Sunday

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. Boys and Girls in America

26 vote(s)
    55.3%
  4. Stay Positive

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. Heaven Is Whenever

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Teeth Dreams

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Thrashing Thru the Passion

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Rank em, tell us why, or just pick one.

Link to all of the other polls here. You can leave suggestions for new polls there or here. Whatevs.

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

It’s Boys & Girls. The perfect balance of Craig’s literary lyrical style and big, punchy rock ‘n’ roll songs. Great melodies, glorious keyboards, and big fucking guitars. It’s a masterpiece.

SteveLikesMusic and Gianni28 like this.
  3. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Voted for Boys and Girls, although each of the first four are straight 10’s. Unbelievable run.

hairtaylor likes this.
  4. cherrywaves

Trusted

I did B&G although I can see arguments for Separation Sunday and Stay Positive. Crazy to me that they put out three near-perfect albums in a span of four years.

SteveLikesMusic and hairtaylor like this.
  5. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Sep Sunday was my #1, although in a couple months i could be back to B&G.

Thrashing is super underrated, i think because it was late in their career and half of it was released before it came out. It’s definitely top 4 for me.

fredwordsmith likes this.
  6. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

If i had to rank em:

SS - B&G - Thrashing - AKM - Positive - Heaven - Teeth

I’ve got a good feeling about the new record, too.

7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

SS for me. yeah baby.

8. cherrywaves

Trusted

I don't think they've released any bad records but I think having Franz in the band makes for a massive difference in quality

Importer/Exporter likes this.
  9. Steve_JustAGuy Feb 4, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 4, 2021)
    Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Separation Sunday for me. Hornets and Hoodrat Friend are two of my favorite songs by them. Editing to say that Stevie Nix really hits for me too. Just so many songs on this album that I love.

10. Gianni

Trusted

Definitely Boys & Girls. Such a fun record.

I am probably one of the few that goes to bat hard for Teeth Dreams. I haven't heard the album in full in a few years, but in 2014 when it came out it really connected with me. "Spinners" is still a staple on many of my mix playlists.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  11. kpatrickwood Feb 5, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 6, 2021)
    kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Stay Positive. Only thing wrong with that record is that it ends. And that they didn't put this song on it.

That said, I celebrate their entire catalogue and will be drunk crying in the crowd as soon as they can play a show again.

hairtaylor and Gianni28 like this.
  12. kpatrickwood Feb 6, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 6, 2021)
    kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

I'm with you. I don't think it's on the same level as the first four records, but it's still great in its own way (I feel the same about Heaven is Whenever). The b-sides from that album are all excellent as well.

Also, anyone who hasn't checked out the Clicks and Hisses site should definitely do that. It's got mega-thorough annotated lyrics, a map that keeps track of every town mentioned in THS songs, and a break down of lyrical themes and how they all tie together. Great way to kill a few hours if you're on a Hold Steady kick and feel like doing a deep dive.

Gianni28 likes this.
  13. Gianni

Trusted

WOW. Only glanced at this for a few minutes because I'm working, but will certainly put on a few Hold Steady records sometime this week and dig deeper.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  14. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

B&G is untouchable, but like a lot of you said, the first 4 are all top notch. The following 3 are all varying degrees of great too, just not quite at that level. Not as consistent. Thrashing is close but just doesn’t quite hit hard enough.

15. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Haha yep- I can't believe how fucking deep the people who designed this went. Especially the 'search' page with all the different categories. Really excited to see the updates in the coming weeks/months with all the call backs on the new record.

16. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I expect Boys and Girls will be a deserving winner, but for me it's always gonna be Separation Sunday. That album absolutely blew my mind. As a lyrics-first listener, the interweaving characters and places, and the narrative push-pull, and the opening line that acts as a mission statement even if it takes a couple of listens to realise -- all of that just engrossed me completely. Then there are the actual songs, and I'd argue Hoodrat/Stevie Nix/Resurrection is still better than any top 3 songs from their other albums. (For Boys and Girls I'd nominate Stuck Between Stations, First Night and Chillout Tent)

17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

bagia

18. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Just realised that I've liked each THS record just a little less than the previous one ever since Separation Sunday. Hoping and expecting for that to change with this new release!

19. SteadyGlen Feb 8, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 8, 2021)
    SteadyGlen

XXXX

Long time lurker on this site after AP net died, just been over in a Citizen thread and thought why not I'll make an account. Then saw this thread. Pretty good timing. So hi everyone!

THS superfan here, hence the chosen screen name...
    I voted Separation Sunday as it was the first full length I heard, and y'know the whole story arc, Resurrection as a closer.
    As far as the discography goes I also echo some sentiments already posted by others. Don't necessarily think there's a bad album however AKM and Teeth Dreams get the least listens from me (although Oaks was my most listened to song on Spotify last year...).
    The recent deluxe reissue of HiW made me realise that I actually love that album a lot more than I thought - and that i definitely rate it higher than TH.

That said, Open Door Policy is out in two weeks and Spices is my favourite song of theirs since Snake in The Shower so I'm excited to see where I'll place it in the ranks.

20. Staypositive83 Feb 9, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 9, 2021)
    Staypositive83

Regular Supporter

Stay Positive for me. It just seemed to really take that B&G vibe and generalize it to the audience. Almost like they broke down the third wall. It’s one of those albums that I was a few years out of college but still wanted that “that there is so much joy” vibe. Also love Heaven is Whenever because it was the album I was obsessed with when I met my wife.

As you can see the album influenced my username here and many other places.

hairtaylor and SteadyGlen like this.
  21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Good to have you here! Thanks for joining in the fun. :-)

SteadyGlen likes this.
  22. radiodead Feb 9, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 10, 2021)
    radiodead

Trusted

1. Boys and Girls in America
    2. Separation Sunday
    3. Stay Positive
    4. ...Almost Killed Me
    5. Thrashing Thru the Passion
    6. Heaven is Whenever
    7. Teeth Dreams

Boys and Girls is maybe THE record in my life that hit at THE perfect time. Sophomore in college, used to to road trip to my buddies college (Winona St) that literally sat on the Mississippi River between Wisconsin and Minnesota. And we all would just house party hop. Just an incredible time and an incredible record for the moment.

almost put TTTP ahead of AKM, because it’s so underrated. I’d actually probably reach for TTTP over it nowadays. The one (or two) things that marred TTTP is the rollout (which I don’t think they were ever actually going for a real album rollout anyway, hell im not even sure they knew they had an album. It’s all very Magical Mystery Tour-esque. And the second is the vocal production is still a little hollow, Craig seems pushed back in the mix. I don’t think that showcases their propulsiveness as a unit)

kpatrickwood and the rural juror like this.
  23. abw123

Trusted

Thrashing Thru The Passion is just so damn fun. Can really hear the JOY back with that record - was missing on the previous 2. I adore that album.

Great discography overall, I hope the new album is good.

24. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Thrashing is such a good return to form.

I will also go to bat for Heaven is Whenever. The Weekender, Hurricane J and Soft in the Center are all 11/10 songs that don’t get enough love.

But the answer is BAGIA.

25. radiodead Feb 13, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 13, 2021)
    radiodead

Trusted

HiW is fine, but the production is a step in the wrong direction. Craig sounds like he’s singing in a tin can. There are also 4-5 B-Sides from that era that are way better than like 5 songs that made that record. Some real head scratchers.

1. The Sweet Part of the City
    2. Soft in the Center
    3. The Weekenders
    4. At Least Not Tonight
    5. Ascension Blues
    6. We Can Get Together
    7. Hurricane J
    8. Touchless
    9. Beer on the Bedstand
    10. Separate Vacations

^^^^This is a way better record....I’d say even a GREAT record. How “Barely Breathing”, “The Smidge”, and “Our Whole Lives” made this record I will never understand.

inspired by P4K today. This is definitely The Hold Steady’s Stage Fright.

the rural juror likes this.