Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weekly Poll: Favorite The 1975 Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Henry, Feb 27, 2020.

1. The first one

2. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

I don't think they've yet made their "all killer, no filler" album, but Inquiry is the closest they've come with just a little dip towards the end. Don't think Notes will be the no filler experience either with the ridiculously long song count, but all the singles have pointed towards it potentially being their best.

3. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

ST and ILIWYS were pretty close for me, but I went with the latter. Inquiry isn’t even close.

4. yocoxy

Never got the love for ILIWYS. Love everything else they have ever done but just can't get into that one.

5. drummerAVA

Trusted

I’m gonna have to go with ILIWYS...

6. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

this live performance never fails to give me chills

trevorshmevor and drummerAVA like this.
  7. drummerAVA

Trusted

Songs like this, Please Be Naked, ILIWYS..., and the consistent “neon aesthetic” throughout... I listened to the album the other night and man, it took me right back to when the album was new...

Ballad... is another highlight for me, the layers of sound packed into that song... sonically, it’s just insane.

Very “visual” album for me...

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  8. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

A Brief Inquiry should have been an EP

9. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Absolutely not

Cameron likes this.
  10. nohandstoholdonto

YUP its incredible. Some people really are really down on the more ambient turns that album takes but, when listening to it in full, those are my favorite chunks of the record. I will never get over the run from If I Believe You thru Ballad, in terms of how they all flow sonically and thematically. It was like an otherworldly experience listening to them for the first time.

and YUP again, the best way I can describe that album is “cinematic”

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  11. brothemighty

Trusted

My favorite album is ILIWYS but only for the melodies. George is the heart of the band

I've always wondered why Matty's lyricism just fell off a cliff after the first album

12. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

it got way better.

13. brothemighty

Trusted

At making me roll my eyes

I could handle the terrible one-liners and running tendency of patronizing women in every other song (admittedly also present in the self-titled) but as soon as you get to

I am on my knees begging for an instrumental LP

14. nohandstoholdonto

idk the way Matty has earnestly talked about mental health issues and the like since ILIWYS has done far more for me than the relationship-centric songwriting of the first. I also think it’s weird to hone in on a patronization of women in his lyrics when, if anything, he’s gotten immensely less sexist and more involved in feminism since S/T.

SpyKi and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  15. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

his lyrics were fine on s/t but he's become one of my favourite songwriters since then. I love his lyrics, even (sometimes especially) the stuff that makes some people roll their eyes.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  16. Opinions are opinions but the atheist line is a wild one to pick as an example of bad lyricism

17. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

"i'm a lesbian kiss" >>>>>>>>> other lyrics