Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weekly Poll: Favorite Motion City Soundtrack Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Henry, Apr 5, 2019.

?

you said we were an accident

1. I Am the Movie

10 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Commit This to Memory

58 vote(s)
    55.2%
  3. Even if it Kills Me

18 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. My Dinosaur Life

17 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Go

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. Panic Stations

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Rank em, tell us why, or just pick one.

Link to all of the other polls here. You can leave suggestions for new polls there or here. Whatevs.

2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I stopped listening after Commit This to Memory. Love that album so much.

amorningofsleep likes this.
  3. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

CTTM is a lifesaver of an album and is the album that helped me kick an alcohol addiction in a very self destructive time. It’s amazing how just hearing someone go through the same shit you’re going through and knowing they came out of it in the end can make you want to better yourself. MCS and TWY both mean the world to me because of that.

CTTM>EIIKM>Go=IATM>MDL>PS

EIIKM is damn near perfect and strikes the same nerve CTTM does CTTM just has it be as far as emotional attachment and nostalgia. Go was a great change of pace and a really interesting progression from EIIKM/MDL. IATM has that spunk and post-hardcore tinge to it that makes it feel so dated and weirdly timeless just because of how universal Justins lyrics are. MDL on paper should be higher up, it feels like a spiritual successor to CTTM but it’s the middle that kinda drags a bit. PS doesn’t rly work as an album but works as far the songs go, put them in an MCS playlist and they’re fine songs. It’s got good b-sides though, most of the albums do.

I need to listen to all of these albums today now ty for this thread

4. Oskarr

Needled 24/7

I haven't listened to CTTM in a while but it's the one that sticks.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  5. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Commit This to Memory
    My Dinosaur Life
    I Am the Movie
    Even if It Kills Me

Haven't listened to the others.

6. DesolateEarth

Birb

CTTM but they had been consistent for most of their career.

7. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Started at Commit This to Memory. Stayed at Commit This to Memory.

8. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

CTTM
    EIIKM
    IATM
    MDL
    GO
    PANIC

9. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

IATM - This record established everything right about this band right away. Quirky, high energy, drums, Moog, and knew how to slow it down. Glad punknews.org pushed this record and Epitaph picked them up.
    Favourites: My Favourite Accident, A-Ok, Don’t Call It, The Future Freaks, Autographs, Indoor Living, Boombox

CTTM - Reinforced the bands sound, album sounds amazing, and cemented who they were as a band. This is like a 1a and 1b for CTTM and IATM.
    Favourites: Attractive Today, Everything Is Alright, Time Turned Fragile, Hold Me Down, Hangman

EIIKM
    Title track has never left me head. Another solid album.
    Favourite EIIKM: Even If It Kills Me, Can’t Finish, This Is For Real, Not Asking You, The Conversation

Go - It felt like a long wait for this album after completion. I like the ton in general, but I’d skip a song or two at times. I never understood people’s dislike, although it is less poppy than EIIKM
    Favourite Go: Happy Anniversary, Timelines, Coma Kid, Boxelder

MDL - something felt a little different with this record to me than the previous 3. Definitely some good songs, but I don’t feel as drawn back to this album when I want to listen to MCS
    Favourites: The Weakends, Disappear, Her Words Destroyed, Sunny Day, A Life Less Ordinary

PS - maybe it’s because we knew it was coming to an end, maybe it doesn’t sound as great, maybe it’s where they were as song writers...just clicked with me less, and therefore I’ve listened to it significantly less. I do wonder if I listened more if this would shift up.
    Favourite song:Days Will Run Away, I can Feel You.

Also, this band has lots of fantastic b-sides and other songs out there.
    Favourites: Severance, Back to the Beat, Capital H, Wait So Long, The Sun Woke

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  10. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I only know one PS bside, everything is fine, unless you're counting inside out

11. duritzfan13

all we have is time

EIIKM

12. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

go
    even if it kills me
    commit this to memory
    i am the movie
    my dinosaur life
    panic stations

13. DesolateEarth

Birb

Still havent listened to panic stations. Is it worth checking out? Seems to be at the bottom of most people's lists.

14. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Every time I listen to Panic Stations, I think I should probably listen to it more. It just doesn’t seem to happen.

15. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Pretty much exactly this post

16. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

CTTM is a top 5 all-timer for me, the record that defined the best year of my life so far. every time i listen to it i remember what it was like being a college freshman in a new town, eager to enjoy a fresh start after traumatic high school years, and about to meet thousands of people in the exact same situation as mine. the possibilities were endless. even if i probably look back at those days through a rose-tinted memory filter, i can vividly picture that chilly morning when i was leaving the house of a one-night stand with the worst hungover and put on my headphones. the lyrics to "L.G. Fuad" had me daydreaming during my walk home, and i was thinking to myself that even that headache felt like freedom and the leftover alcohol sensation in my mouth tasted like youth. that record as a whole isn't as hopeful as i was back then, but it sure motivated me to live life as if it was a melody from Jesse's moog. i was basically "Attractive Today" for that whole year.

i have similar life stories with all the albums (minus Panic Stations) but i'd have to go on for a while. IATM is the runner-up, EIIKM comes third, then Go, MDL and Panic Stations is dead last. i can say for sure that the first four are all among my favorite albums of all time.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  17. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Even If It Kills Me is one of the most important and special things in the world to me.

18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I think it’s cool when different records from a band are people’s favourites

19. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Even If It Kills Me is their best. Such a special album.

20. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Even If It Kills Me without a doubt. An incredibly special album that means so much to me.

Petit nain des Îles and SpyKi like this.
  21. Even If It Kills Me without a doubt for me as well

SpyKi likes this.
  22. figureitout

Regular

Commit This to Memory
    Even If It Kills Me
    My Dinosaur Life
    Panic Stations
    I Am the Movie

There are songs I love on all of these albums but CTtM and EIIKM are the only two I love pretty much front-to-back. I never really spent enough time with Go so I chose to leave it out.

23. SAB22

adulting22.bandcamp.com Prestigious

MDL>IATM>CTTM>EIIKM>Go>PS

Bryan Diem likes this.
  24. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I'm constantly fascinated by how much love MDL gets. I adore half of that album and legitimately dislike the other half.

Oskarr and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  25. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Cttm is my favorite, EIIKM is the most accomplished, but MDL gives me a warm feeling inside like none other