Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weekly Poll: Favorite Kendrick Lamar Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Henry, Aug 28, 2020.

?

Bitch, I'm Kendrick Lamar

1. Section.80

6 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Good Kid, M.A.A.D City

30 vote(s)
    32.6%
  3. To Pimp a Butterfly

44 vote(s)
    47.8%
  4. DAMN.

12 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. Untitled Unmastered

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Black Panther: The Album

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Rank em, tell us why, or just pick one.

Link to all of the other polls here. You can leave suggestions for new polls there or here. Whatevs.

2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

my basic but honest take is that TPAB will likely always be one of the best things i've ever heard

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I expect Butterfly to destroy everything else. Picked Good Kid in spite of that.

Leftandleaving likes this.
  4. Gotta be To Pimp A Butterfly - this guy really knows how to pull off albums as an art form but TPAB has so much going on that still amazes me when I listen to it.

5. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Well it says favorite so GKMC. The spoken words at the end of songs and then then interview make TPAB not that re-listenable for me anymore. The individual songs on it are amazing and I understand why so many view it as his best. But If i'm not excited to listen to it over an over again what is the point?

artbynickferran likes this.
  6. manoverboard365

Trusted

I normally would say TPAB, and part of me wants to change my vote back to it, but I went with DAMN. TPAB is a masterpiece but it's a heavy listen, and I feel like it needs to be listened to from start to finish to appreciate it. DAMN I feel like is the most accessible of all the albums. Find myself throwing those songs on my playlists much more often.

7. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

TPAB is his best but I picked GKMC because I play it way more often

artbynickferran and bobby_runs like this.
  8. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I return to GKMC the most so that’s what I picked.

sophos34 likes this.
  9. soggytime

Trusted

I have such a basic ranking, and I enjoy everything on I've included. TPAB just felt like such a watershed moment - It's actually my absolute favorite album of the 2010s.

My introduction to him was the Overly Dedicated mixtape, which I liked enough, and then I really liked Section.80. But then Good Kid came out, and it blew my whole college friend group away - I remember one of my roommates bumping it shouting how "this Kendrick Lamar album is insane you guys need to hear it"

Depending on how his next couple albums go, I am confident in placing him in my top 5 greatest rappers of all time list.

1) To Pimp a Butterfly
    2) good kid, M.A.D. City
    3) DAMN
    4) Section.80
    5) Overly Dedicated
    6) Untitled Unmastered
    7) Black Panther: The Album

10. TPAB is an unquestionable masterpiece, a high-water mark for an entire generation of hip-hop musicians, and probably one of the most culturally impactful works of art produced in my lifetime.

That being said, I think DAMN is the one that I listen to the most in full these days so I guess it's my "favorite" so that's what I voted.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

TPAB absolutely. As @DaydreamNation said, pretty much the standard for a modern hip hop album.

Section 80 probably has the songs I listen to the most, though.

GKMC is overrated as hell, and I'm happy that he dropped TPAB to realize his full potential.

DAMN was ok.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  12. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

My "favorite" list aka in order of how I'd listen currently

GKMC
    S.80
    Damn
    TPAB
    UU
    Black Panther (???)

13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Section.80
    DAMN
    Good Kid
    TPAB
    Untitled
    Black Panther (have barely listened)

14. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

S80 >>>> TPAB > GKMC > DAMN > Untitled > BP

15. my dude right here has been telling us GKMC is overrated as hell for eight years, you gotta respect the consistency haha

16. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Went with Damn, since that's the one I listen to the most.

17. btr

Trusted Supporter

GKMC released my senior year of high school. Soundtrack to that summer and still into freshman year of college. So many fun memories with that one

18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

My Krazy Life did it better is all I’m saying!

username and DaydreamNation like this.
  19. flask

Trusted Supporter

Favorite is probably Damn. I listened to it al summer 2017 and now it’s like a summer album for me. As soon as it’s disgustingly hot out I throw it on.

20. PauLo

43% Burnt

I went with TPAB. Mainly because it was the album that Kendrick finally clicked with me. I'd enjoyed a few songs here and there and a few features, but I couldn't get through whole albums. But after DAMN. came out and I played the shit out of HUMBLE. and DNA., I went back to TPAB and it clicked. And it has only got better as I listened to more and more jazz and then realised those jazz artists were also on TPAB, which made me listen to it more and more haha

For me...

TPAB
    UU
    GKMC
    DAMN.
    S80
    BP

21. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

TPAB
    GKMC
    DAMN

I haven’t listened to the rest.

22. flask

Trusted Supporter

Not even Untitled? Its a bunch of unreleased TPAB demos.

23. PauLo

43% Burnt

And to call them demos even seem a bit harsh, even if that's technically what they are haha. They sound just as good as anything off TPAB.

24. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

the Black Panther album is so underrated. I mean, I wouldn't rank it above his proper albums, but it's really great

25. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

TPAB is one of the best albums of the 2000s full stop

the narrative, the diversity, the flow, the lyrics, the instrumentals, the support musicians & artists, everything is so on point.