Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weekly Poll: Favorite Jimmy Eat World Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Henry, Oct 26, 2018.

?

Favorite JEW album

1. Jimmy Eat World

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Static Prevails

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Clarity

18 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. Bleed American

29 vote(s)
    19.7%
  5. Futures

68 vote(s)
    46.3%
  6. Chase the Light

15 vote(s)
    10.2%
  7. Invented

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Damage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Integrity Blues

8 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Nothing significant next week, so let's go with an AP staple!

Omni likes this.
  2. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

CTL > IB > Futures > Bleed American > Clarity is where I'm at rn. The others don't matter much to me.

3. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

FUTURES FOREVER

4. JM95

Trusted

Bleed American. Not too much between that, Clarity and Futures but it's so full of hooks that I can't look past it.

Presume Futures wins it on here though.

5. Fox83

Trusted

So many great albums. It's unfortunate no other album has a chance at topping Futures. It's too personal for me. It came at just the right time. I'll always love anything they release of course.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Hell yeah. Copying my album rank from the supporters forum a few weeks back:

Futures

Not much more I can say about this album that I haven’t said already. I think it’s basically perfect. It came along at such a crucial, formative point in my life and basically influenced the entire development of my music taste. It still takes me back to those crisp fall days when I was 13/14 years old. My favorite fall album of all time, and my number 3 record period.

Chase This Light

The sturdiest bunch of hooks they ever wrote. Jim’s vocals on this record are insane, and the lyrics are just top tier. There are a couple songs I don’t love that keep it from reaching Futures level (for me, those are “Gotta Be Somebody’s Blues” and “Electable”), but the emotional resonance of the songwriting makes up for that. “23” is my favorite Jimmy Eat World song, and “Kill” is maybe the most important because it got me into the band and really changed the way I looked at music, but I think “Dizzy” is the most impressive piece of songwriting in the band’s catalog. Not many songs above that one on the “songs I wish I’d written” list. I do wonder if this album would have given Futures a run for me if it had included “Be Sensible” and “Open Bar Reception.”

Bleed American

For a long time, this one was near the bottom for me. I guess I was just being a contrarian. Last time I saw them live, the Bleed songs really stood out, especially “If You Don’t, Don’t.” I've listened to this album a lot this year. I kept reaching for it when I was putting together my Top 100 Albums of the 2000s list, just trying to figure out where it fit. Some of the songs that had never really clicked for me finally did, and the ones I've always loved (like "My Sundown") only grew in my estimation.

Clarity

Of the core Jimmy Eat World albums, Clarity is probably the one I listen to the least. It feels like more of a “commitment” than the other ones, for some reason. Maybe the length? Maybe because “Goodbye Sky Harbor” is basically half an album by itself? In their catalog, though, Clarity is really singular in the mood it builds. It’s their most well-sequenced record and maybe the one that feels the most cohesive as a statement. Everything is in the right place. It’s one of those albums that just seems like a masterpiece. It also has “For Me This Is Heaven,” which is one of the most perfect songs ever written.

Integrity Blues

When this album came out, I was pretty convinced it was their best since Futures. I’ve walked that back a bit (clearly), but I still think it’s fantastic. Interestingly, when the album came out, I preferred side one. I think I’ve shifted to side two at this point. The build up to “Pol Roger” is one of the best payoffs in their catalog, and I still find the overall theme/message of this record to be incredibly moving. I’m so excited to see what’s next for them, because this is the first album since Chase This Light where I feel like they were operating at full strength. The shows on this tour were also fucking terrific.

Damage

Timing was pretty crucial for this one, for me. I got the advance the week I finished college. It’s a break up album, but for me, it became more generally just an album about endings and goodbyes. It’s the album I played in the car as I left my college town behind, and I’ll never forget listening to “You Were Good” on the highway and knowing my life was going to be completely different going forward. My one issue with this album is the production, which I defended at the time, but which just sounds a little sloppy to me compared to everything else they’ve done. Listening to it today in the car, immediately following Futures, really underlined that fact for me. Songs like “Damage” should sound bigger and more grand than they do.

Invented

It’s almost weird to put this album so near the bottom, because it was basically all I listened to for three months after it came out. The fall of 2010 was right toward the beginning of my relationship with my girlfriend, now wife, and we were getting into the swing of the whole long distance relationship thing. This album was my companion on so many of those drives, and it was perfect because it could really capture both the elation of knowing I was driving toward her and the melancholy I felt every time I had to drive away from her. I’ve often said this is the best sounding album in the discography, and I stand by that. Mark Trombino knocked it out of the fucking park. There are two songs I just don't like, which brings it down a notch for me, but then you get that ending one-two punch and I feel inclined to overlook the flaws.

Static Prevails

Like Jason, I rarely listen to this. It just doesn’t sound like the Jimmy Eat World I fell in love with. I give it a try every year or so, just to see if it’s clicked yet. Hasn’t happened yet, but I’ll keep trying.

Not Ranked But Awesome: Stay on My Side Tonight

There's an alternate universe where this was a full-length album and it's right up there with Futures as my favorite. I did a full-album playlist of this a couple years ago, using some of the other Futures b-sides, and it's great (but, you know, not canon). The three originals here are all among their best songs, and they all capture this autumnal vibe that is similar to Futures but also darker and more wistful. Part of the reason I loved Integrity Blues was that it sounded like the band going back to this sound and trying to explore it a bit more. Still, I doubt they could ever recapture what they did on "Disintegration," which is one of the most unique and interesting songs they've ever done.

7. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

I really, really love Stay on My Side Tonight. I bought it on my way to ask my wife out for the first time, so it has major emotional weight for me. There are moments when I'd even consider it my favorite of their releases, though I also feel like that's unfair to some of their others because it's so short. Disintegration might be my favorite JEW track, though.

Dan O'Neill and Craig Manning like this.
  8. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Pol Roger :heart:

9. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

absolutely impossible, even though it's definitely clarity or integrity blues

Aregala and Dan O'Neill like this.
  10. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

or invented, which i may vote for just to give it a boost

Aregala likes this.
  11. DesolateEarth

Birb

Definitely Futures, but still one of the most consistent bands with one of the best discographies out there.

12. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Give me an extended SOMST album with fully produced versions of the other Trombino sessions tracks and a few other songs and there's a good chance it would be right up there with Futures for me.

13. Samuel

Futures is one of my favorites, what are your top 2?

14. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Chase This Light for suuuuuuuure man.

15. ineverlose

Had to go with Clarity as my favorite because it's when I first discovered JEW...too many memories and emotions connected to that album for me to choose anything else. But if I had to choose their best album, I'd go with Futures.

16. owlwolfpossum

"ARE YOU ALONE LIKE ME-
    ALONE BUT NOT LONELY? "

DesolateEarth likes this.
  17. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Futures. Just an absolute classic from song 1.

18. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

From Clarity through Invented is just... whoo man. Voted Bleed since it was my first entree, and basically life changing, but can't go wrong with any of those in that stretch really. Blues is great too.

19. SPine

Trusted

Saw the Futures 10 year in college. It's an album I grew up loving and in my top 25 favorite albums ever

DesolateEarth likes this.
  20. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

Futures, though Integrity Blues comes close for me.

21. DesolateEarth

Birb

Best show I've ever been to still. The whole crowd was singing along to every song. It was incredible.

22. Groogz

Tranquilo Prestigious

Always have a soft spot for Clarity so I went with that one, but totally understand the love for Futures and Bleed American.

23. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

Stay on My Side Tonight >>>>> Futures > Chase This Light > Integrity Blues = Bleed American = Clarity > Invented > Damages > Static Prevails

24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Over 100 votes and 22 replies. lol

25. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Futures

Shout out to Bleed American though - that album doesn’t get enough love strangely enough