Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weekly Poll: Favorite Green Day Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Henry, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Tomozaurus

Regular

Dookie
    Insomniac
    Nimrod
    Kerplunk
    Warning
    American Idiot
    21st Century Breakdown
    Tre Uno Dos
    Revolution Radio

amorningofsleep likes this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Idiot by a huge margin, for me. One of those bands where I love one album so much that it kind of diminishes how I feel about the others.

3. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Warning
    Dookie
    21st Century Breakdown
    everything else

4. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

American Idiot for mine. Followed by Warning. Then Dookie. I was absolutely obsessed with International Superhits before I became a real album listener. And my family didn't have the internet so I thought the band must have been finished if they had a greatest hits album out. When I saw the video for American Idiot it blew my mind. My favourite band was back and as good as ever, but seemingly more important than before. Then the album hit me like no other. I can see how someone who was used to nine-minute tracks and narrative arcs would be less impressed, but the record exposed me to all those possibilities. I don't listen to it a lot anymore but when the mood is right it still kills me. My favourite album of all time and the reason I'm on this site today.

Essie likes this.
  5. Kuri44

American Idiot

6. DaveyA89

I've always found Nimrod to be really underrated. One of their most fun and diverse albums in my books.

Tomozaurus likes this.
  7. Tomozaurus

Regular

yeah Nimrod is really great

8. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Love AI but I'm old and for the most part older Green Day is too special to me lol

Nimrod
    Dookie
    Warning
    American Idiot
    Insomniac
    Kerplunk
    Revolution Radio
    21st Century Breakdown
    Trilogy

9. DesolateEarth

Birb

Not surprised by all the love for it but except for the title track, most of American Idiot was pretty weak/disappointing for me compared to the albums before it.

Tomozaurus likes this.
  10. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

My favorite band of all time, every time I try to rank their albums it’s different (besides #1 which is my favorite album ever)

Some of them are also probably controversial

American Idiot
    Warning
    Nimrod
    21stCBD
    Dookie
    Kerplunk
    Revolution Radio
    Insomniac
    Uno Dos Tre
    39/Smooth

Doomsday and Steeeve Perry like this.
  11. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

American Idiot got me into "punk" music and I haven't looked back since. I like Dookie more tho lol. Glad to see the Warning love that one is super solid.

Dookie
    American Idiot
    Warning
    Nimord
    Insomniac
    Kerplunk
    21st Century Breakdown
    Revolution Radio
    Uno!/Dos!/Tre!

12. Craig Manning

It's crazy to me that there are Green Day fans that don't like American Idiot. For me, it's such a clear level-up in every single conceivable way.

13. Orla

A while back, I dated someone who was a massive Green Day fan prior to AI coming out, and she told me when it did, she was put off by the band’s shift from making slacker punk for 10+ years to wearing black & eyeliner and making political rock operas. She felt the songs themselves were good in a vacuum, but Green Day no longer resembled the band she became a fan of in the first place & seemed to be trend hopping after Warning put their career in a slump.

I imagine a lot of fans are in a similar boat where they got hooked on pre-Idiot Green Day, and what they found special about that iteration just didn’t quite carry over to the next era for them.

Tomozaurus likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

I'm sure that's the case, but like...Dookie was maybe the third album I ever heard in full, and I love it, and I still think every aspect of the songwriting on Idiot is just on another level. Also, the entire "they sold out" narrative always seemed extremely disingenuous to me, when that band had massive, massive pop hits throughout the 90s and also wrote the all-time "sappy graduation song." And American Idiot being considered "trend-hopping" is also bizarre to me. There was nothing like that on rock radio at the time, and there's been very little like it since.

Essie likes this.
  15. Orla

The trend-hopping grievance was solely persona related, I’m sure. There wasn’t any claiming Green Day was trying to make their music sound like another band, from what I remember. I agree that would be weird.

16. DesolateEarth

Birb

At the risk of having egg on my face, I revisited the album today and it's a lot better than I remembered, Tbh I got pretty burnt out on it when it first came out and was literally everywhere, which is probably why I had such a bad taste in my mouth with it. My bad.

Craig Manning likes this.
  17. Craig Manning

Ah, gotcha. That makes slightly more sense I guess.

18. chelsealouanne

Regular

I think I have to go with Dookie. But closely followed by Warning, 21st CB, American Idiot.

Essie likes this.
  19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

It’s always been Nimrod or Warning for me. But I gotta with Nimrod.

International Superhits is one of the best greatest hits albums of all time.

Steeeve Perry likes this.