Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

WEEKLY DISCUSSION: Your favorite animated film • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Apr 7, 2016.

1. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Toy Story 3 still comes to my memory from time to time. I saw it in theaters. Both me and Mom were crying at the end. It hit me like nothing else.

Inside Out and Zootopia come a close second.

Yeah, I wasn't sold on Frozen. I'm not really here to argue about it, but uh, if anyone has extra time on their hands, this article has some good points here and there: The problem with false feminism — Disney and DreamWorks

2. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Bigger, longer, and uncut

Henry likes this.
  3. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Gotta be the Lion King for me growing up.

As an adult Toy Story 3 is my favorite. Hit me in the feels with a story about growing up and letting go right at a time when I was, like, growing up and letting go.

lightning13 likes this.
  4. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

We lost Satoshi Kon way too soon. He was such a gifted filmmaker. Millenium Actress is my favorite of his as well.
    Here's a great analysis of his editing:

Henry likes this.
  5. Miss Heartcore

Let's build something Together Prestigious

I don't think I've cried more during an animated film than I did at Toy Story 3. And it wasn't a couple tears, it was legit sob city

omgrawr likes this.
    dvdjmskng and popdisaster00 like this.
  7. farva2

Regular

Wall-E Hands down. One of those rare times I've had a smile on my face through the whole thing and wanted to jump up and cheer at the end.
    Runner up is how to train your dragon

popdisaster00 likes this.
  8. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

The Toy Story series are three (well maybe not all three, not a huge fan of TS2) of my favorite films ever made.

9. Not sure I can pick just one, but I was probably more in love with Toy Story than any other animated movie when I was a kid.

And god bless everyone who mentioned Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

10. Viva Sonata

gooberplex.tumblr.com Prestigious

Summer Wars

11. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

Grave of the Fireflies
    Waltz With Bashir
    Lion King
    Aladdin

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  12. What's the difference between the Fox release and Disney's?

13. Love your list except for Howl's. I would take any other Miyazaki film over Howl's, including Ponyo and the Wind Rises.

14. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I think I have a special place for Howls since it was the first one I saw. Honestly I adore Ponyo though. I might like that more than Howls honestly.

15. Yeah, I get the feeling a lot of people love Howl's because it was the first major theatrical release following the cult success of Spirited Away. For me, I didn't see Howl's until after I'd seen older classics like Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky. Howl's has always been my least favorite of Miyazaki's, but I'll admit I was also biased against the American dub because I was expecting Billy Crystal's role to be waaaaaay funnier.

I'll detail my choices later, but my favorite 2D animation film is Whisper of the Heart, CGI is Ratatouille.

16. SpyKi

I still haven't seen Nausicaa though it's on my list. I really didn't like Castle in the Sky though, I got super bored suring that film for some reason. I usually watch the Japanese versions of anything anime that isn't DBZ, ha. I did watch the english dub for Ponyo though for some reason but I thought that was great.

17. I totally getcha. The more I got into anime, the more I preferred subs as well, but I find the English dub of Ponyo to be irresistibly rewatchable. I've seen it sooooo many times. As for Castle in the Sky, I thought it was really boring my first watch, too. I'd say I didn't "get" it til I watched again

18. SpyKi

I might give it a go then. I know my girlfriend wants to see it and it must have been like 6/7 years since I watched it.

19. Miss Heartcore

Let's build something Together Prestigious

The voicework is different---I actually haven't watched much of the Disney one because I was so turned off by the Dakota sisters. I watched the Fox version for YEARS before the Disney one, so to hear it re-voiced was too strange.

20. Gotcha. That's interesting.

Speaking of Disney dubs, I've been dying to see the new version of Only Yesterday starring Daisy Ridley.

21. Doooo iiiitt. It's a really pleasant date movie for sure

22. ohitsjustrob

"The only truth is music." Supporter

Ummm i think my favorite animated movie is The Emperor's New Groove. It's not really a "classic" i guess, but i think it is hilarious, and it being hand drawn is a nice touch as that is happening less and less nowadays.

23. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

This thread pretty much already covered my favorites. Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Porco Rosso are my favorite Ghibli movies. Something about a Miyazaki film that is so magical, the way his movies are so creative and seemed to really be limitless in terms of what you might see and feel.

Don Hertzfeldt, love his stuff. Really clever, really funny, moving, etc.

I like me some Pixar, mainly Up and Brave. Want to check out Inside out and The Good Dinosaur at some point.

The Simpsons movie was a lot of fun for me because of how it felt like a feature-length version of the show when it was in its prime.

Loved The Land Before Time growing up. Still get kinda emotional watching it.

They aren't movies, but there was an animated series for Spawn and one for The Maxx in the 90's that were both amazing.

24. I did not know about this!

25. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Toy Story, easily.