Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

WEEKLY DISCUSSION: Your favorite animated film • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Apr 7, 2016.

1. It's partly because I'm bitter that Tangled wasn't nearly as popular despite it being, in my opinion, a much better film, hah. Okay, but seriously, though. Except for Elsa, I didn't care about any of the characters. I also didn't like any of the songs. I will admit, I do admire how it dealt with Elsa's mental health issues.

2. mad

I was right. Prestigious

My dislike for Frozen is mostly based on how sooo many people treated it as the first great Disney movie in a while, when Tangled and The Princess and The Frog were so much better. I didn't like the music very much, and the story was just kind of okay. It wasn't bad, the animation was really great, but too many people acted like it was something amazing when it just wasn't.

Also like @xkhiemster said, it also got a lot of praise for being the first "feminist" Disney movie which is just nonsense.

Chase Tremaine and DarkHotline like this.
  3. OwainGlyndwr

I am the Aleutian allusion illusion Supporter

I get what you guys are saying, but a lot of that revolves around other people's opinions of the movie, and I was never really exposed to much of that when it came out. Whatever I think of its reception or treatment or however I'd compare it to other films, I think it's a very good one with an enjoyable story and some crazy good vocal performances.

4. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I'm an anti-Frozen guy, but people HATE the songs? Now that's...that's a take I haven't heard before. The soundtrack is all-time great, the plot is depressingly disappointing.

but anyways, best animated movie? Okay. i'm down. top 5

#5: The Secret of Nimh
    [​IMG]

#4: Lego Movie
    [​IMG]

#3: The Simpsons Movie
    [​IMG]

#2: Who Framed Roger Rabit
    [​IMG]

#1: Wall-E
    [​IMG]

done. that's the list.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Probably A Goofy Movie

6. Miss Heartcore

Let's build something Together Prestigious

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is an all time classic, but Christopher Lloyd thoroughly ruined my young life in watching that movie.

Henry likes this.
  7. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Honestly? Fantasia. Such a beautiful work of art, like the greatest of Disney's animators at the time having free reign to do whatever they wanted combined with beautifully orchestrated pieces of music over the ages. The Rites of Spring piece is one of my true favorite moments in film.

8. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

The End of Evangelion is probably my favourite.

Aladdin, Tarzan, Inside Out, Toy Story 3, Ratatouille, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Tangled are all up there too.

9. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Man, I still haven't gotten over the end of the movie. It literally broke my brain trying to process all the philosophy.

10. SpyKi

one of my favourite things about anime/animation in general is seeing things that would be impossible to pull off convincingly in live-action and I feel like that film is one of the best examples of that I can think of.

11. Now that I think of it that way, I'm even more apprehensive now about the live action Akira. The stuff towards the end should be really hard to convincingly CGI.

12. SpyKi

it's one of the main things I think is silly about trying to make live action films out of so many anime's.

13. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

two from left field.

alan parkers The Wall
    [​IMG]
    and

Eight Crazy Nights:

14. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Absolute favorite animated film is hands down Up. That movie moves me at least once (often multiple times) every time I watch it.

[​IMG]

Second favorite is easily Lilo and Stitch, and third is probably Inside Out, though picking a film that recent feels weird.

Garrett L. likes this.
  15. sdnyjns

I am not a robot

Akira, Summer Wars, Wall-E, or My Neighbor Totoro

16. windowbirds

close your eyes until tomorrow Supporter

I have a soft spot for Rise of the Guardians because it's so pretty. Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, Aladdin, and The Little Mermaid remain my favorite Disney movies.

17. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

My favorite Classic Disney is Snow White, that's a master class of animation that was all hand drawn that we just don't get anymore, as well as Fantasia, Lion King and Peter Pan. Also I have a crazy soft spot for Yellow Submarine and Wallace and Gromit

18. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Trying to answer this almost sent me into cardiac arrest.

In regards to Frozen, I do absolutely love the shit out of that movie, but I agree it's not the first feminist Disney movie. I can understand why people would be put off by the reception and over-playing of "Let It Go", but that's all stuff I was able to get around.

Also, unpopular opinion on Up: Up would've been a perfect Pixar short if they just kept it to the montage opening scene. That beginning is so perfect and emotionally intense that I had a hard time connecting with the rest of the movie.

19. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

There are so many I love, but The Lion King will always be just slightly above the rest for me.

20. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

I am 100% shocked no one has mentioned A Nightmare before Christmas.

This is actually more difficult to answer than I thought. The first thing that came to mind was The Fox and the Hound, which lead me to thinking about All Dogs go to Heaven, followed by the Secret of Nimh, which led me to Lilo and Stitch, the Incredibles, An American Tail, and Fern Gully.

But if I had to pick just one, it would probably be the original Land Before Time, ruined by the successors.

21. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Oooh Secret of Kells is great too and on Netflix. I recommend it

22. Meerkat

How dare you bring up this traumatic viewing experience

23. xkaylinh Apr 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 8, 2016)
    Totally forgot about The Nightmare Before Christmas. Coraline is good as well, despite adding a character and taking out a few things.

edit: Oh, and 9.

24. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

Pretty sure 6 of the 8 "children" movies I hold dear traumatized countless individuals, including myself, which could explain many psychological issues which no medication or therapy can ever fully cover up.

25. Meerkat

I can't even think about AAT without tearing up. What a brutal movie.