Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weekly Discussion: Your favorite 80's films

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Jul 18, 2016.

1. @Dean suggested that we look at discussing entire decades for the Weekly Discussion threads. I thought the idea was great. With the new Ghostbusters just being released (as well as the 80's throwback Stranger Things on Netflix), I say we start with the 80's. I don't see a need to do anything chronologically. Just seems right to do the 80's right now. Go!

Dean likes this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen Jul 18, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 18, 2016)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Back To The Future
    E.T.
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    The Little Mermaid
    Pretty In Pink
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    The Breakfast Club
    Fast Times At Ridgemont High
    Little Shop Of Horrors
    Ghostbusters
    edit:
    This Is Spinal Tap
    Beetlejuice

this is just off the top of my head I'm sure more will come to mind

ChaseTx and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  3. Morrissey

Trusted

The Eighties is a bit of a weird time for films. The masters of the Fifties and Sixties were winding down and the new generation of Nineties filmmakers had not come up yet. It is the decade without Terrence Malick and the decade that Francis Ford Coppola started his decline. The three most important directors of the decade were Martin Scorsese, Woody Allen, and Andrei Tarkovsky. Scorsese and Allen arguably had their best decade in the Eighties, having proven themselves in the Seventies and being the few Hollywood directors who could get their passion projects made. Andrei Tarkovsky was a holdover from an earlier era who found new creative expression in leaving the Soviet Union, even if they likely led to his premature death. For Scorsese, Raging Bull and The King of Comedy are his two best films, and even less successful things like the Last Temptation of Christ show a famous artist provoking people in a way we rarely see nowadays. Hannah and Her Sisters is Allen's masterpiece, and films like Stardust Memories, The Purple Rose of Cairo, and Crimes and Misdemeanors are all major achievements.

There were many other films to celebrate. The Eighties are probably the decade I know the least about in film, but this would be the closest thing to a top ten.

1. Shoah
    2. Raging Bull
    3. Hannah and Her Sisters
    4. Platoon
    5. Repo Man
    6. The King of Comedy
    7. The Sacrifice
    8. Fanny and Alexander
    9. Spinal Tap
    10. The Vanishing

It is a hard list to make, and masterpieces like Blue Velvet, Blade Runner, and Once Upon a Time in America did not make it.

4. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

I'll try and do a top films list later. I mainly associate the 80s with comedy and other types of genre films, people like Shane Black, Sam Raimi, the Zuckers and Abrahams, Joe Dante and others. The first few films directed by Frank Oz, even. As Tetra pointed out it probably is ostensibly a relatively bare period for really huge auteur type directors, but there's still a lot of stuff from that period that I'm a big fan of personally. And yes, The King of Comedy is great.

5. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Do The Right Thing

6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I'll do two lists between movies I grew up on and movies I've come to love as an adult

Favorites as a kid:
    Back to the Future
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    The Breakfast Club
    Gremlins 1 &2
    E.T.
    Ghostbusters
    Die Hard
    Beetlejuice
    Stand By Me
    Friday the 13th
    A Nightmare on Elm Street
    Big
    Spaceballs
    Field of Dreams
    Robocop
    The Terminator
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Favorites as an adult:
    Raging Bull
    Full Metal Jacket
    Empire of the Sun
    Hannah and Her Sisters
    Do the Right Thing
    Aliens
    Blue Velvet
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
    The Right Stuff
    Amadeus
    The Thing
    The Shining

angrycandy and popdisaster00 like this.
  7. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

This is hard. I love movies from the 80's. So so many to name. Let's start with Better Off Dead, one of the finest cinematic features to ever exist.

8. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

1. Airplane!
    2. To Live and Die in L.A.
    3. Runaway Train
    4. Die Hard
    5. The Untouchables
    6. Pale Rider
    7. Robocop
    8. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    9. Dead Calm
    10. The Hitcher

In no order and quite frankly most of these could easily be swapped with other favorites since the 80's is my second favorite decade for film.

ChaseTx likes this.
  9. Gremlins and The Thing immediately come to mind. The 80s was such a wonderfully strange time for horror. I'd have to think more about a Top 10.

edit: Beetlejuice is an immediate choice, too.

Adrian Villagomez and ChaseTx like this.
  10. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

this is too broad of a question. there are trillions of answers haha

11. Just spit some titles out!

12. No one said Top Gun yet?

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Repo Man over Blue Velvet!!!!???

14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

There's something about 80s garbage cinema that has always stuck with me, specifically the Troma films and joints like TCM 2 and (more recently) Street Trash. I'm a huge fan of the dirty, vulgar depictions of urban NYC that you don't really see anymore. 80s horror is probably my favorite decade for the genre, when slashers were the rage and didn't take themselves very seriously at all. It's an era of cheese that also contained some magnificent artistic productions.
    Some favorites:

Raging Bull
    Blue Velvet
    The King of Comedy
    The Shining
    Thief
    Manhunter
    Sleepaway Camp 1-3
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
    Gremlins 1-2
    Toxic Avenger
    This is Spinal Tap
    Road House
    Platoon
    Full Metal Jacket
    Terror Vision
    The Evil Dead 1-2
    Ferris Bueller
    The Breakfast Club
    The Goonies
    Vacation
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
    Die Hard
    The Thing
    Fast Times At Ridgemont High

15. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

The 80's horror era is one that set a standard for the genre, some of the greatest films in the genre came from it.

The Thing
    Friday The 13th
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    Henry: Portrait of A Serial Killer
    The Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2
    The Shining

ChaseTx likes this.
  16. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Killer Klowns from Outer Space
    Miami Connection

Nate_Johnson and Aaron Mook like this.
  17. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story and Planes, Trains and Automobiles are all staples in my household. John Hughes movies in general, of course. Heathers is another one of my favourites

ChaseTx and Aaron Mook like this.
  18. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Horror favorites that haven't been mentioned:

Night of the Creeps
    The Prowler
    Maniac Cop
    Night of the Demons
    They Live

ChaseTx likes this.
  19. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Ghostbusters I and II
    Batman
    Rocky IV
    The Shining
    Dirty Dancing
    Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
    Star Wars Empire Strikes Back

ChaseTx likes this.
  20. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Do the Right Thing is by far one of the strongest films ever made.

Several all-time greats were firing on all cylinders in the 80s. Scorsese has three brilliant 80s entries in Raging Bull, the Last Temptation of Christ, and the King of Comedy. Miyazaki's 80s work was also strong, with Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, and Castle in the Sky. Akira was also an 80s anime standout. Woody Allen was continuing his stretch of consistently great films: Hannah and Her Sisters, Crimes and Misdemeanors, and Radio Days were highlights. Spielberg had Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., and Empire of the Sun.

I know a lot of the 80s high school/romantic comedy films get a lot of love, and I was super into them in high school, but I've kind of cooled on some of them. Still love John Cusack's Say Anything and Better Off Dead though. And as a fan of Lizzie McGuire before I saw Better Off Dead, that was a cool connection to make. Oh, and Fast Times is easily at the top of the genre.

The Empire Strikes Back, They Live, Airplane, Big, the Naked Gun, Coming to America, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, and Wrath of Khan are other personal favorites of mine. I'm probably forgetting plenty.

ChaseTx likes this.
  21. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Don't forget After Hours.

22. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I haven't seen it! That and Cape Fear are I think the two Scorsese I haven't seen.

23. Morrissey

Trusted

24. TedSchmosby

Trusted

For some reason I was under the impression that it came out in 79, but I just saw that An American Werewolf in London is an 80s film. I haven't seen it in years but I'd put it up there with the horror greats

ChaseTx likes this.
  25. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Back To The Future has been one of my favorite films since sometime in middle school I think. It's just got this sense of fun that's matched by very few movies for me, it's insanely quotable, and the score is so iconic.

Some other favorites:
    The Shining
    The Empire Strikes Back
    An American Werewolf in London
    The Evil Dead
    Evil Dead 2
    Akira
    Ghostbusters

Aaron Mook likes this.