Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weekly Discussion: The 21st Century's 100 Greatest Films [via BBC] • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Aug 23, 2016.

1. LJ Rime

Regular

Lol. This guy thinks someone driving one way and then turning back around to go the other is a nonsensical plot. It's such a simple plot that it can't help but make sense. Nice try though.

Mad Max: Fury Road is, like all of the Mad Max movies, about where home is for all of us. The entire first half of the movie consists of Furiosa and the Wives running away from their home(albeit a messed up one). And yet, the movie's second half is about them going back to fix their broken home, something the titular character never did which makes it resonate even more. See, home isn't some magical utopia far away that you have to get too(like the Green Place that Furiosa mentions). It's right here, where we already live. No matter how messed up it is, it's our job to make it better.

And this isn't even scratching the service of the world building aspects. The aspects like Furiosa's clothing, which is the same type as the Wives(hence, Furiosa used to be a wife of Joe's). Or the visual parallels between Max and Furiosa, not just in this movie, but Mel's Max as well(Furiosa ending the movie with an injured eye is a callback to The Road Warrior for example). Dissecting this movie is a joy.

And yet, you think visuals by themselves aren't enough to tell an interesting and complete story? Some of your comments have been absolutely ridiculous. You actually think that muting the movie and still being able to know what's going on is a negative criticism. Welp, at least we know why you're not a movie critic. You'd be terrible at it. Your arguments aren't really arguments. You don't like the movie because you don't want to like it. That's cool. You do you. But if this was an episode of Movie Fights, I'd have this shit in the bag. Too easy.

coleslawed likes this.
  2. Let's refrain from any personal attacks here

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Like I disagree with that dude but also dislike that post a lot

popdisaster00 likes this.
  4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

5. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

6. LJ Rime

Regular

I'm just gonna assume you're trying to get ahead early and make sure the situation doesn't get out of hand. I'll try not to assume that you're implying that I personally attacked him, because I most certainly did not.

7. I mean it's a little of both, but your post was riding a fine line between "I disagree with you" and "your opinion sucks" so let's try to keep it positive here. Threads like these are great because they spur good debate and discussion but as soon as we start insulting people for their opinion, it's not as fun.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  8. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

Every time I see this thread I remember that Borat isn't on this list and I get MAD

9. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

My wiiiiiiiife

10. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

11. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Muholland Dr should not be number one. I didn't really look at the rest of the list.

12. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Why not? It's not my number 1 (In the Mood for Love) but it's surely deserving of all the praise it receives.

13. williek311

Can't say I enjoyed watching it, that was like 11 years ago though. Obviously this is just my opinion.

14. Morrissey

Trusted

One of my most shameful moments was my "2 star" review of Mulholland Drive many years ago. I did not understand the film at all and completely failed at trying to dissect it.

15. williek311

Shame.

16. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I had the same reaction when I saw it around 12 years ago. Watched it again last year and appreciated it much more.

17. I own Mulholland and have never watched it. Fight me

coleslawed and CarpetElf like this.
  18. Davjs

Trusted

What films do you guys thing should have made the list? It seems like action/comedy/horror was pretty much left out.

I think Thank you for Smoking, Frailty, NightCrawler, Whiplash, Kickass deserve some more love :-)

19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

interstellar. it's the most scientific and logical movie ever.

20. Morrissey

Trusted

All that obsession with practical effects and minimizing cheap CGI all in service of such forgettable films. Nolan could have had much more impact as a cinematographer or set designer on the set of someone who picks good scripts.

CarpetElf likes this.
  21. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Nolan has always been able to bring out great things in actors. But yeah, the same cannot be said about scripts.

22. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

that script was pure science. and love.

23. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

So I just saw it and I think I can safely say Toni Erdmann's place on here is fully justified.

24. Jealous

25. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Not over the offensive Magic Mike XXL omission