Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weekly Discussion: The 21st Century's 100 Greatest Films [via BBC]

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Aug 23, 2016.

1. The 21st Century’s 100 greatest films

2. CarpetElf Aug 23, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 23, 2016)
    CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I have 53 of those, I've seen maybe 25 haha.

Vehemently disagree with Budapest above Darjeeling, Tenenbuams, and Moonrise. Also don't think No Country is as worthy of a top 10 spot as Children of Men, Llewyn, Holy Motors, or Act of Killing.

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I've seen like 36 out of the 100 movies which for lists like this is a pretty decent amount for me, no Noah Baumbach is the first thing that stands out to me as surprising

coleslawed likes this.
  4. Morrissey Aug 23, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 23, 2016)
    Morrissey

Trusted

This has been the talk of the Internet lately. Let me list what I have said previously:

1. 4, 25, 28, 30, 33, 34, 35, 38, 41, 47, 53, 57, 64, 79, 81, 85, 87, 88, 91, 93, 96, and the second 100 do not belong.
    2. I have not seen 80 or the first 100, but that one has not come out in the United States yet.

I made a top 100 for 2000-2009 a long time ago and I actually made a top 100 for 2010-2015 on Sunday. I have not started a century list, though.

Top 100 2000-2009: Top Hundred Films of the 2000's (Decade).
    Top 100 2010-2015: Top Hundred Films of the 2010's.

5. General thoughts:

I need to quit fucking around and watch Zodiac

6. Liz

Ew, David

I love that Spring Breakers is on this list :crylaugh:

Ken likes this.
  7. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

The middle of the list got dumb, some towards the end that should be higher.

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Spring Breakers is 1

Anthony Brooks and Henry like this.
  9. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

thats a pretty bad list there

Davjs likes this.
  10. Morrissey

Trusted

It could be worse; it has most of the major foreign films that an American list would completely ignore. These sorts of lists are always unfair because a film released in 2002 has been judged, re-evaluated, and rejudged multiple times while a 2015 film has not settled in for people.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  11. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Budapest is hands down my favorite of his, but they're all towards the top of my list.

domotime2 likes this.
  12. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

[​IMG]

But also, I've only seen it twice whereas I've seen the others over a dozen times so there's that. I'm just not as compelled by it at every level as I am with Moonrise, Royal, and Darjeeling, the latter especially, which was a disappointment to see not listed at all.

13. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

No Borat? nty

Henry likes this.
  14. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

The lack of comedies in these "best-of" lists is depressing.

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Everybody Wants Some is better than Boyhood. So is Before Midnight

16. Morrissey

Trusted

Here we go. Everybody Wants Some was very good, but Boyhood is among the greatest films of the century.

brandon_260 and coleslawed like this.
  17. Morrissey

Trusted

When these lists are made, people feel pressure to include dramas more because they don't want to be put in a situation where someone says "Wait, you think Anchorman is better than The Master?". People also discount the work that goes into them.

18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I've cooled on it since it was released. It was certainly one of the more unique, personal films that I've ever watched and I find it great; however, each rewatch seemed longer, especially most recently. It's a special film and definitely one of the greatest of the past decade, but I think at the very least Before Midnight was better. There are many moments of Boyhood that, if not for the filming structure, would have been cut to make a better, tighter film. I don't know if I can necessarily hold that against the film judging by how ambitious it was, but once the initial "wow" factor washes over you, cracks start to show.

The EWS comment was in jest, but it does remain my favorite film of this year

19. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

The first hour or so of Boyhood is amazing, but once Mason becomes a teenager it gets a little questionable. I couldn't help but feel disappointed that Linklater of all people, who is usually a master of authenticity, fell back on such cliched situations and dialogue. It does get better towards the end, but some scenes in that movie are seriously beneath him.

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I've seen 40 on this list. I really need to step up my foreign film game. Yi Yi and In the Mood For Love are films that I consistently see pop up yet never get a chance to watch. Then again, I have an increasingly overwhelming collection of Criterion Blu Rays sitting in my room waiting to be watched. One day, Seven Samurai. One day
    Of the films I've seen:
    -Eternal Sunshine is not a film that I would see anywhere near this type of list, perhaps I'll have to watch it again
    -No Country is a good film, one I need to revisit, but one that I don't think necessarily deserves all of the praise that it gets. TWBB, endlessly compared even if the films are very different, is much better. Inside Llewyn Davis, on the other hand, is phenomenal and potentially the Bros best film.
    -The Act of Killing and Holy Motors are masterpieces, deserve all the praise that they get.
    -The Master is one of my favorite films of all time
    -The Grand Budapest was charming, idk about top 20 of the past decade though
    -City of God gets hate by most critics that I respect but I still love the film, one of the first foreign language films that I really loved
    -Inception was pretty to look at, but other than that?
    -Zero Dark Thirty and the Hurt Locker were not very good. The Hurt Locker at least had the supermarket scene
    -Before Sunset, Inherent Vice and of course Spring Breakers are all wonderful films. Should be higher. I joke about Spring Breakers a lot, but it truly is one of my favorite films
    -Her is a film that I think about a lot, I need to see it again. Anomalisa is another one

Adrian Villagomez likes this.
  21. Morrissey

Trusted

When it becomes Before Midnight versus Boyhood the margin becomes very small. Before Midnight was my number 2 of 2013 and Boyhood was my number 2 of 2014. Before Midnight is weighed down slightly by the fact that Before Sunset is slightly better while Boyhood is a complete narrative. Over time Before Midnight is going to change in estimation based on what the next film does. I suspect divorce as all of their issues came to a head in the climax of the film, but we still have six years to wait.

OhTheWater likes this.
  22. Morrissey

Trusted

Some films that deserved to make the list include Another Year, The Immigrant, and Fat Girl. Another Year has one of the most devastating moments of a human being pouring out their suffering and regret that has ever been shot.

SpyKi likes this.
  23. I've seen a little over half of the list.

The New World needs to be much, much higher.

24. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Boyhood didnt resonate so strongly with me as it obviously did with others. of course its great overall and Linklater is a seriously fine filmmaker. the lead felt largely uninteresting. the faux pensiveness and naivety go with the 'wandering aimlessness of youth' but I dont enjoy watching him because I didnt feel he was very intelligent. there were also plot points that felt pedestrian to me personally

Pseudo! and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  25. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Good list....good mix. Love seeing Budapest get the praise it deserves