Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

WEEKLY DISCUSSION: Are you a Marvel or DC fan? • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Aaron

Trouble trouble trouble.

I like both a lot, but probably DC a bit more.

I've spent way, way more money (and time) on DC comics over my life than I have on Marvel. I've definitely spent more on Marvel merchandise (figures, t-shirts, video game, whatevs) over the years though.

Marvel's live action movies are way way better, IMO. TV is pretty even. DC takes animated (series and movies).

I think the New 52 was a bit of a letdown to be honest. Timelines/continuity were confusing, editorial kept messing around with stuff and so many books I got into ended up cancelled way before their time (RIP Grifter). Obviously Batman was great/Wonder Woman was kinda a surprise for me/Justice League was big dumb fun...but a lot of the other titles seemed to be warped back to the 90s, with bad dialogue, awful character names and boring stories.

The good thing about the New 52 boring me so much was that it kinda pushed me out into trying more Image/Vertigo/other indy stuff. I've had way more fun reading, say The Wicked and The Divine than most of the New 52 stuff. In hindsight, at one point I was reading about 45 of the 52 titles, so maybe it was just overkill.

It's got way better over the past couple of years though, with stuff like the semi-reboot of Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Prez (PREZ!) and Black Canary...so after losing most of my love for DC for a while, I'm super into it again.

I've been loving stuff like Spider-Gwen, Daredevil, Silver Surfer and Silk on the Marvel side of things.

Their Star Wars stuff is absolutely incredible too. It's just amazing.

2. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Prez was so awesome. Omega Men is also a fantastic series. It gives me so much hope for Tom King in DCU.

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

It took me a long while to figure out that Grifter wasn't Red Hood.
    I haven't read any Valient yet, but am looking forward to checking out Faith when it hits trade.

Dark Horse has the whole Hell Boy thing going for it, so at least there is that. lol

Image has products that have or will be used. I think they could easily move into a 1 or 2 spot. They are clear #3 right now.
    • Spawn is probably getting a film reboot. They could even use Michael Jai White again. Dude has the look and the chops
    • Witchblade is just huge.
    • Brad Pitt is producing a Wytches film already
    • Chew is going to come to TV at some point.
    • Fraction and DeConnick just started a production company. Hopefully that mean Sex Criminals, Pretty Deadly, and Bitch Planet make their way to television.
    • Outcast and The Walking Dead speak for themselves.
    • Rat Queens, Saga, and Low are just asking for adaptations

4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Sorry if that felt ranty. lol

Also, DEADLY CLASS. That needs to be adapted immediately.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  5. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Valiant is really awesome. Harbinger especially. I would highly recommend it if you are looking to check out something new.

Image, and for that matter the rest of the indie publishers, are just such a different beast because they are not a shared universe. So it is down to individual creators to work out deals with studios / production companies. And that ultimately results in people not really connecting the property with Image, but rather the creators. For instance, the success of TWD seems less attributed to Image and more about Robert Kirkman. Same with Hellboy and Mike Mignola.

But I agree with all the properties you mentioned. Image does a great job acting as a repository for the best creators in comics to go wild. I would just kill for an HBO adaptation of Saga or East of West.

Deadly Class is so awesome. Thats' pretty much true of the Remender books in general, though.

Oh, and They're Not Like Us. Really digging that book.

6. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Pretty Deadly should get the film treatment. The series is released too slow to justify a series, but the two arcs so far are set up quite nicely for a couple films.

7. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

I'd still be interested in it, but I remember reading a review of Saga that said it almost seemed like it was wilfully too weird to adapt after how drawn out the Y adaptation has become, haha.

8. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Another Image book that is crying out for an adaptation is ALEX + ADA. I don't know how that book flew under the radar, but it was simply beautiful.

9. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I was more of a Marvel fan when I first got into comics back when Civil War was going on (I never saw a comic book store until after I'd graduated high school. Now there's at least one in every town.) But I can never keep up with comics and always end up stopping after a month or two. When I next came back to comics, it was during DC's Blackest Night, which still remains my favorite comic series. During that stretch, I realized that I like a lot of DC's smaller characters more than those of Marvel.

10. talib scottie

Newbie Prestigious

Marvel, been a huge X-Men fan since I was about 9, back when the grocery store would sell comic books. Read until I was 14 then picked it up again a few years ago. Currently a Marvel unlimited subscriber